Question about exercise

• Hi all,

Just starting MF today and so far, so good. My question is about exercise. I see on the boards people say when they work out too hard it slows down their weight loss. I'm a huge gym fan, and like to do an hour of speed walking on a steep incline, enough to get my heart racing and the sweat pouring, 2-3 times a week. I've done it for years, and it's my favorite thing to do for 'me' time.

If I go to the gym this week, or any week really, is this going to negatively affect my weight loss on MF? I'm afraid because I love to do this and really don't think I'd be able to NOT go to the gym. Advice?
  • They say if your body is not used to exercise you should not start a routine for 2-3 weeks. If you ARE used to exercise, cut it in half until your body is used to the lower calorie intake (2-3 weeks). The big thing is that you are only eating 800-1000 calories/day, you don't want to burn too many. I read in the TSFL book you shouldn't be doing more then 45 minutes of strenuous exercise a day while in the weight loss phase. Honestly you might not really be able to do what you used to. I played baseball with a bunch of 7 year olds my 3rd or 4th day and I was whipped out for the rest of the day...and it really was not all that strenuous and way less then I'm used to. If I did that now, 4 weeks in I'm sure I'd be fine lol.
  • Andi's correct, but just remember everyone is different. The first time I was on MF, I did the same amount of exercise, but at a lower intensity. This time around I haven't been exercising prior to MF and was thinking of starting in a bit (I'm in my second week). We spent the weekend walking around the mall and running errands. By the time we got back to the car I was so exhausted that exercise may have to wait another week!
  • Definitely cut back to 1/2 intensity and 1/3-1/2 time for the first 3 weeks. If you feel dizzy or sick at all stop immediately and take a few days off. Your body needs to gradually get used to your metabolism change.
  • Thank you guys! Not planning on working out until this weekend and I'll be sure to listen to my body and stop if it's too much.