Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/184/145

Height: 5.3

Default Need help with Medifast!!!

Hello everyone!

I'm very new to this forum, in fact I'm very new to Medifest as well.
This is my first day I've started Medifast and since I've failed a lot of diets in the past I'm terrified not to mess up this time also.
The problem I always have is the motivation I guess...I start and then, after a while I usually leave it...I know it sounds ridiculous but unfortunately I can't even explain why I do that
I just wanted to ask if there's anyone who can give me some tips on how to stay motivated maybe?
Eleniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 203 / 189 / 140

Height: 5'3

Welcome!

You are not alone in feeling or worrying about being able to stay motivated.

Dieting is scary. Let's face it, MediFast is a diet it is not a way of life. You are eating prepackaged meals which makes it easier to stick to it since its already prepared. This diet does work if you stick to it and it is challenging at first as your body is adjusting.

I just think about how many years I have lived with this body that doesn't represent me specifically my style. I look at fashion magazines and admire clothes that do not suit me because of my size. Most importantly it is NOT healthy to be overweight. Our energy is low, mood is poor and it affects everything (socializing, sex, relationships, confidence, etc.).

Even after all this I struggle the most on weekends since food has been a big part of my entertainment. Eating to have fun. Pathetic I know.

All I can say is take it day by day and picture a healthier, more confident sexier you as a goal. It won't take that long ....
Veronicali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/161/140

Height: 5'3"

Personally I am doing the medi-weight loss clinics. There's a lot of money being tossed into the program, but the weekly visits and check ups are motivational. Plus they have taught me how to eat in the long term. It's a great program and a kick start to a healthy way of life. But if you stick with the program you WILL see progress. Here's what I have done to overcome my destructive behavior:

I made a list of achievable goals.

After 20lbs I've rewarded myself with a cheat meal on weigh in day. The more I lost - the better the reward. Example: I lost 4lbs last week so I took myself to a movie and got a small popcorn and an unsweetened tea PLUS I had an excellent pasta dish for dinner.

I reward myself with 1 cheat day a week.

I educated myself on food.

I surrounded myself with positive influences.

I constantly look up before and after pictures.

Last edited by Scondy; 02-25-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Scondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #4  

I've been trying to lose weight for for 10years maybe, but I was doing that on my own and have never succeeded
To be more specific I'm on MODIFAST right now ( I guess it's the same thing as Medifast only the Swedish version). I'm supposed to eat four times per day without anything additional. I have nurse that'll call me once a week to make sure I'm alright. The first thing I liked about the diet is that I'll more likely be embarrassed of the nurse and don't give up, maybe?
One thing I know for sure, I REALLY need this! But on the other hand it's so so difficult...like for example right now I have a terrible headache and I'm dizzy, I'm so hungry and the moment I start thinking about the food than I start hating myself with the question "how come I can't control myself?"
I'm not a physically active person, I have a child at home and I also study for a masters program in another town. I'm writing all of this because I don't have a lot of ppl around and want to hear your opinions.
Maybe I'm overreacting I don't know, I just really want to achieve the goal...
Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #5  

I know how you feel. I don't have a child, but I am working on my graduate degree. I questioned all these things (still do) as I have been in the path of lifestyle change. It boiled down to me asking why I continuously failed and why I cheat myself.

You seem anxious and afraid to fail. I know how this feels, too. The first week will be hard to be honest. All I could think about was food! However, thinking about food isn't you losing control.

So, what's your plan of action? If I can do this, so can you!

Last edited by Scondy; 02-26-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6

I don't know anything about Modifast but if it is the same as Medifast..the first few days are hard but it DOES get easier. It will get to the point where you don't even want to eat junk food because you feel great and are not hungry all the time.

When things start getting a little boring with the medifast meals there are LOTS of recipes you can use to change things up. Sandy's Kitchen is a good website to check out.

If you WANT it bad enough you can do anything...you can certainly do this.
crazycatlady33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #7  

Yeah I'll say I use to crave sweets. Now the thought of eating sweets just makes me feel sick. I do crave carbs around my period. So, for my cheat meal I enjoy a portioned amount of carbs. I usually weight train the day after pretty hard in order to wipe that slate clean again. It's the best program! If you stick to it you will no doubt lose.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/168/125

Height: 5'4

I like it cause I don't have to think about anything........Anytime I dieted before I would get anxious about planning my meals wondering what to cook all day etc...until it was an obsession and I stressed so much that I caved into bingeful diet death. This diet takes all that away. Now, every 2 hours I say.."do I want a caramel bar...or cinnamon roll???" or "mmmm they're eating popcorn...I'm gonna go get a chocolate bar..." LOL I love it!
SaraSweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #9  

Thank you ladies so much for a support!
It's actually my second week now and I've lost 5kilos I'm so happy about that!
As you all said I feel so much more better now, the first 3-4 days were so hard, I felt as if I was dying, I had a terrible headache and dizziness and felt extremely tired, but I'm recovering I would say
I think Modifast and Medifast are little different. For example I'm only supposed to eat/drink four times a day and there are only eight sort of flavours. My actual problem now is that sometimes it's really boring and I have hunger attacks from 6pm to 9pm every evening I basically need to be seized during those three hours
Anyway, thank you once again, and I'll be more then happy if we continue sharing our thoughts.

E
Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #10  

Congratulations!!! Now, take each day at a time and you're bound to see more results!
Old 03-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #11  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

5 kilos is fantastic!

If you can't have anything other than your plan foods (medifast allows for some optional snacks, like dill pickles, sugar free jello, and celery), I would try drinking some sparkling water when you're hungry. I find the bubbles help fill me up. A cup of herbal tea helps me, too - the bit of natural sweetness is satisfying.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #12  
soiltosoul

S/C/G: 262/231/200

Height: 5'9"

Medifast is great! When i have trouble staying motivated i google image Human fat, surgery. Seriously it's so gross you will want that stuff out of your body NOW ha ha! One thing i really enjoy is diymydiet when my order has been late following the week guide of real food that is all on plan really really helps.. and the images of fat.. don't forget those.. ha ha
soiltosoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #13  

Hey Ladies,

I hope everything's going fine with you all!
As for me, it's two weeks today and I'm very close to 7 kilos I'm really happy!
I just wanted to ask you two questions since it disturbs me really much. The first think that is hard for me fight with is the after taste of the medifast meals, is it only me? or do you feel it too? I mean when drink/eat I always have a terrible after taste that makes me sick. These last couple of days if I don't drink water while eating/drinking medifast I have feeling I'm going vomit. Is it normal?
The other thing is the coated tongue. I've noticed it yesterday, it's so gross and so thick that I have a vomit feeling during the whole day. I tried to brush it but it's so sensitive now that it made me feel even worse. Have you ever experienced this thing? I mean the coating is so thick that I have a feeling of a soar throat.

E
Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #14  

And some more questions

Could you please give me some tips about water? I don't drink that much water and I don't why is it so bad. And what about excising? I've never been active and I'm not now. I really want to start with walking but I feel so tired and dizzy that I haven't managed to start yet.
I'm supposed to eat 4 meals a day and each consists of 200calories, but I sometimes skip, I eat three times or maybe twice sometimes, can it provoke some dangerous consequences?
I just look forward to losing the weigh so much that I think I'm doing it very hard. I'm still terrified not to become demotivated and try to lose as much weight as possible.

E
Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #15  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

7 kilos - wow!

I notice an aftertaste with a few products, but not many. I'm not a very picky eater, though - probably why I got so fat - it all tastes good to me. But I know other people have complained about it. As for the coated tongue - that's new to me, too. Do they sell tongue scrapers in pharmacies there? Over here they're sold with the toothbrushes - they're supposed to help with bad breath.

Water is very important! Personally, the Medifast food makes me thirsty. I have no trouble drinking 3 liters of water a day (I count my coffee and tea as water). You need to flush out the waste products your body creates by burning fat.

Don't exercise yet if you're not up to it. Here the Medifast people specifically say to NOT exercise in the beginning of the diet. I waited 8 months and 70 pounds before I felt ready to start an exercise habit. Now I can do a 90 minute hot yoga class, run 5k, go 50 minutes on an elliptical machine, and weight train for an hour with a trainer. And I do all of it regularly.

And last - EAT ALL YOUR MEALS! This is such a low calorie diet, you can't afford to skip any meals. Why do you think you're tired and dizzy? 400 or 600 calories isn't enough to keep you functioning. Don't get too ambitious and think less food is better - your metabolism could shut right down if you eat too little, and it may or may not bounce back. Talk to your nurse if you're having trouble - she may have some suggestions for you. Maybe you could split the meals up, or there are some preparation tips you could try.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote