3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Medifast (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/medifast-223/)
-   -   Can I do MF on my own? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/medifast/268580-can-i-do-mf-my-own.html)

adventuregirl 10-23-2012 12:13 AM

Can I do MF on my own?

So here is the situation. I have a lot of weight to lose, 120 lbs. I went in for a consultation and I loved the program. I didn't want to overwhelm myself with the amount of weight I need to lose, so I told the women that I would just like to start off losing 30 lbs and see how that goes. She totals up the cost and it is $1200. I absolutely cannot afford that.

She wanted me to go on the program where I eat 5 MF meals a day and two lean and greens until I reach a BMI of 40.

I am wondering if I can do this on my own, since the majority of the cost is the 52 weeks of maintenance. I would either buy food directly from the website or from a 3rd party. I have to figure out exactly how much food is in the lean and green meal. But other than that, what do you guys think?

TripSwitch 10-23-2012 07:32 AM

When I tried MF several years ago... I ordered the MF "food" (the shakes and bars) from their website... There wasn't any long term commitment... not sure if that has changed... My initial shipment came with a little pamphlet that explained the program which was basically 5 + 1... 5 MF "meals" a day and one lean and green meal... Pretty straightforward and pretty simple.... It was very low carb and low fat and only about 800 calories a day... designed to put you into ketosis...

So I don't see why you couldn't do it on your own if you got a hold of the pamphlet and ordered the MF online... But since it's a VLCD I would check with my doctor first since there are some risks associated with these types of diets such as gallstone formation being among the more serious to constipation, etc... Like I said definitely check with your doctor to see if this type of diet might be right for you...

Good luck...

Riddy 10-23-2012 10:21 AM

You don't NEED the center, unless you think you need the accountability. There is no center near me. I use their sister program (google take shape for life) where they give you a health coach. The food costs the same, but the coach is supposed to help encourage you. My coach is a personal friend who lost about 35 pounds on Medifast.

I would also run Medifast by your doctor before you start it. I didn't even need an appointment, just left a message for the nurse and she called me back with the thumbs up.

FWIW, I lost my first 50 pounds in about 5 months, but it took another 10 months to lose the next 50. I could have lost faster, but I've had some off-plan days and weekends on purpose.

Good luck - you can do it!

FatinSTL 01-20-2013 04:51 PM

I do not have a center near me, but I have a lot of coaches in the area that advertise helping and ordering food. However, paying for the coach and the food is just too much. The food is almost too much honestly.

I just order what I want to eat from the medifast1 website and make myself accountable by using the tracker sheets to write down when I eat and even set an alarm on my phone to go off every two hours.

I don't think you need a coach unless you want someone else to hold you accountable.

I know exactly how to lose weight and work out, I just didn't stay on the path and sabotaged myself because I was afraid of getting thinner.

Now I am going to start week 3 on Monday of MediFast and I have held myself accountable and haven't cheated once. In my mind I have decided that THIS IS IT. I want to lose weight and stop being such a huge fat girl. People don't realize that telling a girl that she could play professional football is NOT a compliment.

Little Minnie 01-20-2013 09:21 PM

My husband is not using a consultant, but now I am wondering something. You were told to eat 2 L&G meals a day? My husband is very large and is just doing the 5 MF meals and 1 L&G and both pickles and a SF jello per day. That is basically starving someone that big really. So they really tell some people to eat more than that? He is lacking energy now. He is 6'1 very large boned and over 300 lbs.

FatinSTL 01-21-2013 12:30 PM

Little Minnie: How long has your husband been on MediFast?

Little Minnie 01-21-2013 08:49 PM

18 days.

DotDawtDot 01-26-2013 11:22 AM

Ya the price if you go through the center is flat out rediculous.I found a free health coach and orderd the food online.Waaaaaay cheaper.Food is normaly 330 a month(20 boxes).264 the first 2 orders if you join the be slim club and get 16 boxes and use the 4 free boxes for the rest.When I went to the center for a consultation the price came out to 1200 something,and that was on a SPECIAL.Normaly it would have been 1700,and that wasnt including the 330 for food every month.But ya unless your rich just stick to getting a health coach and ordering the food online.

Veronicali 01-26-2013 03:55 PM

Definitely order online and post for support.
$1200 / mth???? !!!!! - That's insane !!!!!!!

PureKaos 02-22-2013 07:44 PM

I ordered my first Medifast shipment through Amazon...saved $30 and got to completely personalize the items I received. Still haven't decided how I want to go about ordering my next set, though - or if I'm going to branch out and try to lose the weight on my own, sans pre-packaged meals.

DEFINITELY don't waste your time/money going to a center - if you need something to help keep you accountable, the "My Fitness Pal" app is amazing - don't know if you have an android/iPhone, though.

ANNND...this reply is several months late...hopefully it'll help someone!!

crazycatlady33 02-23-2013 12:00 AM

my chiropractors wife does take shape for life and that uses medifast food and she suggested it to me and she is now my coach, although we don't talk much but whatever. For the first 2 months I am ordering the $315 4 week packs on medifast website then after that I buy whatever I want. I am on 4 and 2.

alitorry 03-10-2013 03:09 AM

It's great to have a coach! My coach is local and we have weekly meetings. She called, texted, was very positive and encouraging. Its the best help to have all this support and meeting up with other women doing the same thing. Like pp said, go to the take shape for life site and your coach is free with purchased meals. Good luck!