Old 04-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #1  
I want big pants!

S/C/G: OMG/OMG/150

Height: 5'2~ish

Red face Medifast Powderland Day 4. Send Help.

Hello everyone,
I'm brand spanky new here and to Medifast. First post even. I haven't introduced myself on 3FCs all legal like but I've been lurking around for awhile so I feel comfy already. I am in serious need of some perspective and inspiration.

I'm on day 4 of Medifast, started 4/4/12. I researched it somewhat before I decided, but, obviously not enough. I knew the food wasn't supposed to be stellar but, I was not prepared for the textures, nor was my gag reflex I'm really struggling with the food. The eggs, oh my. They were very "shiny" and I just couldn't get them down. Lord, knows I begged those little funky chunks, I tried positive thinking. Nadda. No. I didn't even have the heart to give 'em to the dog. Then I tried the Floam, er, um the soft serve. More Oh my. It just kept growing and growing in the bowl. I ate 3/4 and called it a win. The soft baked cookies....a moment of silence.
So, I exchanged some food at the center(more on that stupidity later) and I'm armed with 3 boxes of bars and 2 boxes of shakes and honestly, they are fine, 2 of them may even be distant cousins of yummy, although I suspect inbreeding. So, I'm feeling ever so slightly less panicky about the next 6 months of snarfing 5 packages of powdered science experiments a day. Really!
I have alot to lose. Weight and money, good lord I wish I'd known about the online aspect before I went into that center. I did research some and even saw oodles of "coupon codes" available for meals and thought with my thrifty self that I could trim the cost a wee bit here and there. It wasn't until after I signed on the dotted line that I found out that the online aspect is not the same entity as the franchises albeit the same diet plan.
It be what it be. I've done it and despite my whiny, ninny baby bit above I signed up because I am ready. I want to be healthier and feel better and I'm at my personal rock bottom. Down here it's dark and yucky and I'm busting out of my "fat, fat clothes". While it was a semi sortofish quickie decision, it's what I pray gets me half there and I'll try to do the rest on my own. I'm on the 5 and 1 plan and read that it gets better.
I have lost 5 pounds in 4 days, while worrisome, I did eat crawfish, THE Sultan of sodium laden meals for supper the night before I started so I suspect it's mostly water. Besides, as plan dictates I'm guzzling water to the point that I'm not sure I'm losing weight as much as drowning them nasty fat cells and sendin' em down the sewer. If peein' were an Olympic sport....I'm sportin' the gold, baby!
Enough rambling, I guess. I'm here to hopefully get/give honest inspiration, motivation and friends along this journey. With over 100 pounds to go, It's going to be a long trek. And of course, I'm hoping to find little nuggets of info on how to get in the MF mindset and stay on plan. ( I have yet to get in the 5 meals in 1 day)
On the plus side, I really haven't been hungry much. I'm grieving the foods I tend to abuse when I make dinner for my family and it's been weird not just mindlessly popping stuff in my mouth like cookie monster. I caught myself elbow midway to mouth several times before I came to my senses.

I'm an emotional eater. Always have been. I want to write. Always have. I don't write too much. I eat too much. Not anymore.

Me - over + =

Happies, prayers and karma to all of us on this journey to health!
Thanks for the ear,
~Defluffin
DeFluffinMyStuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome to 3fc. I am not on Medifast but enjoyed reading your post. I think you should become a writer you have the talent. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hey, DeFluffin,

I've been at Medifast almost a year now. I had a lot of cheating weekends last summer/fall, and I'm still down 85 pounds! The food is pretty good with a little doctoring up - check out some of the older threads.

This is the most weight I've ever lost, and I'm not ready to quit yet. Medifast has taught me that losing weight is VERY mental, maybe even more mental than physical. I'm still struggling with mindless eating when I'm out, but I'm doing a lot better at home.

Hang in there! When you see the scale at the end of the week, that should motivate you for the next week.

Something else I heard here - motivation may fade, but if you've made a commitment to losing weight, honor your commitment when you're lacking motivation.

Good luck to you - you can do it!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #4  
Medifast Newb

S/C/G: 269/243/140

Height: 5'2"

The soft serve is awesome! How are you preparing it? Are you using any artificial sweeteners? I won't even try the eggs, they are disgusting. I lost 4lbs in the first 4days and at the end of week 3 have lost 20lbs. =]
medifaster27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #5  
I want big pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Welcome to 3fc. I am not on Medifast but enjoyed reading your post. I think you should become a writer you have the talent. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
Thank you, Bargoo. That was nice to hear. Sometimes your ears need a hug, too.
Your ticker is so inspiring. Happies to your accomplishment!

~~~I don't know how to quadrupli-quote, tripli-quote? Ah, well. I'm not good with numbers, as evidenced by my scale. . So, I'll just muddle along.

Riddy, I have made a commitment, to myself, my family and my credit card. All of which are over me being trapped somewhere in this Fluffy Hll. I am struggling. I am. I am just trying to take it moment by moment and until I get a little wind underneath my sails, I pray alot and try to shush the inner fatness who is so desperately trying to stay alive and live amongst m'fluff. She's not particularly concerned with killing me though. If I ever figure out what that witch's motive is, I bet I won't need powders and potions. Even still, I'm not sure why I find the MF so daunting. I'm scared I'm doing the weight loss "wrong" and unhealthfully. Which, sprinkle in even a smidge of perspective and I have to admit that packing all this mess around with me on a 5'2 frame living in a fat fog is alot less healthy than shakes and bars all the live long day. I've done it the "old fashioned" way. Gained it back, with interest. Like many of us who are lifers. I am grateful for the MF, though. It's a little mirage in the desert. Dessert? Oh, wait, that's the MF talkin'.
85 pounds is amazing and I'm gonna think about that when it's hard. Go you! I've only been in the center a few times now but, I'm constantly bowled over by the success stories.

Medifaster27, I'm preparing the floamserve with a face like this . I think it's affecting the taste. I will try to sing a little song or somethin' next time in an effort to defloamify it a touch but, I suspect, unless i sing that song with bluebirds and hungry little people with silly names, it won't make my gag reflux live happily ever after.
Congratulations on your loss! That's so freaking good. I did my first weigh in yesterday a couple days early because I wanted the manic monday weigh in day to keep me accountable. I stayed at a 5 pound loss. I think it's because I wasn't getting all the packets in? I dunno. I talked to her about the possibility of the 4 and 2 to settle my nerves. You'd of thought I wanted to join the I eat gummy bears with Sasquatch every third Thursday club. Apparently 5 and 1 is all the rage. 4 and 2 just feels better in my bones. I'm at a loss. Not sure what to do.
Anyone else have success with 4 and 2? I'm just conthinkerating about it is all but it just makes more sense. I would trade a wee bit healthier for a slower loss and easier transition later on.
Wow, this is long. Yap, yap. Sorry.
Happy Freaking Tuesday, y'all!
~DeFluffin'
Old 04-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/198/155

Height: 5.7

Defluffin - whether you know it or not, you ARE a writer. You have a happy talent with words

I hear ya on some of the food. I am doing a plan similar to MF and some of the food is only edible if you close your eyes and hold your nose. But, I find the shakes good (not strawberry though - ugh - that stuff is NASTY). Hope you have great success with the plan - it must work if you follow it because its low fat/low calorie.

I hear ya on the hit to the wallet too. Hopefully it will be money well spent.
Macilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #7  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hey Defluffin,
5 pounds already is great! I lost 11 pounds total the first 2 weeks, FWIW.

Here's a couple of my hints for making the food better.

I think making the soft serve is too much work. I make it as a shake - it makes a thicker shake than the shakes. Add cocoa powder - it improves or transforms any sweet food. Instant coffee is good in chocolate, vanilla, and coffee flavor things. Letting a shake sit in the fridge a couple hours before drinking makes it thicker and smoother.

Make the eggs on the stove, and add a little salsa, or a bit of veggies from your green. Just a pinch of finely shredded cheddar helps, too. A little salt, pepper, garlic powder, hot sauce - whatever you like on your eggs makes a big difference.

And I forgot to tell you - after a couple weeks you tastebuds start to adapt, and the food starts tasting better. The only exception for me was mango soft serve - I had to add lots of cocoa powder in order to get every packet down. But mango is my friend's favorite - go figure.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #8  

Hi Defluffin!

You are pretty funny. I think it is good to have a sense of humor about weight loss and Medifast.

I've been doing Medifast on and off for about 7-8 months now. (Not the way to do it.) I've just recently recommitted. A couple of tips regarding the food:
-Soak many of them before consuming. Definately soak the soups and chili (like for several hours or overnight) before eating. Some people also swear by soaking the shakes and drinks - but I don't mind the texture of them.
-Eggs - most seem to hate them, so I'd just put them aside or exchange them. I liked them from the get go - with a 1 tbs of salsa. Also, I microwave them for less than the stated time. They will continue to cook for a little while after you pull them out too.
-I tend to microwave everything for less time than stated on the packets because they seem to burn if cooked longer.
-I gave up on the soft-serve too because I thought it was too time consuming (and too much clean up) to make. I think the pudding is best when I'm craving ice cream. I'll let it freeze slighly.

Good luck!!
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #9  
I want big pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macilly View Post
Defluffin - whether you know it or not, you ARE a writer. You have a happy talent with words
Thanks for the kind words, Macilly! That truly made my night, week, oh shucks....my month. (the part about Writer and me in the same sentence, gives me goose pimplies)

Are you doing IP by chance? I really didn't know much about it until I started thread cruising around here. Is it kind of a MF hybrid only with a lot of variety for food choices, ketosis and all ? I've been kicking myself for not checking into it more before headin' on down to powder town. It's getting better day by day. MF and I will be BFFs before it's said and done. M'hmm. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Yanno, it's kind of ironic that you're talking about having to hold your nose to eat some of your stuff and I've been whining about trying to choke stuff down. I'm on this because I didn't stop snarfing every thing in sight and now I don't want to eat what I'm allowed. Oohh, look at the irony! It's so shiny!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #10  
I want big pants!

Thanks for the food(and I use the term loosely) tips. I'll try the soaking bit. I don't mind the shake texture if I add ice, instant coffee and blend it to kingdom come.
I've yet to partake in the pudding. It's on my list.
Good Luck and motivation to ya on your MF plan!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #11  

Default tolerating icky stuff

First of all...Im crackin up at this thread. You are definitely a writer extraordinaire and need to start a weight loss blog!

As for whats icky.... cant stand the fluffy, slimy texture of the soft serve. Eggs were gross and the cappucino is disgusting!! The bars are great and the oatmeal is good. The tomato, chicken with wild rice, and broccoli soups are ok, but I think I will try some doctoring!
cheechu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #12  
I want big pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechu View Post
First of all...Im crackin up at this thread. You are definitely a writer extraordinaire and need to start a weight loss blog!

As for whats icky.... cant stand the fluffy, slimy texture of the soft serve. Eggs were gross and the cappucino is disgusting!! The bars are great and the oatmeal is good. The tomato, chicken with wild rice, and broccoli soups are ok, but I think I will try some doctoring!
Geez. Thank you, Cheechu! I write like I think. It's a weird neighborhood up here in my noggin'.

I tried some doctoring and ventured out of shakes-and-bar-land. Chili town was surprisingly less than horrible. I added one chik fil A Jalapeno(having a moment realizing I do not know how to spell Hally-Pene-Yo!) salsa packet and 1 ounce of taco meat that I swiped from my family who do not reside in Medifast powderland as I do because they are all naturally thin and beautimus even with the orangey glo from the cheeto dust covering their hot little paws. Cheetos, chocolate, crisco shortening pudding shots, whatever...they just stay all lean and light. Hallelujah for my daughter and step daughters...but, I'm totally pissed and bitter about my husband's propensity for svelteness despite horking down pan after pan of brownies & Little debbies oh, and cake like it was water. What were we talking about? Oh, yes.
Doctoring of the powders and potions...
Packet of "chili" + salsa + sprinkle of lean taco seasoned meat = not half badness!
I tried the "bites", too. They are pretty cardboardy but the crunch and salt factor what with all the sweet shakes n' bars makes me feel like I'm having cheeto like somethings along with my beautiful, toothpaste commercial family.
If my family lived in a Highlights magazine, I would totally be circled in crayon 1,000 times by all the little munchkins biding their time and terror in the dentist's office waiting room by finding "Which object doesn't belong with the others?"
My family's all "". Me? I'm all "". ('cept I don't wear lady jock strap diaper thingies...and I wear a shirt...and I'm not much on hair buns and I can dance a little better than the side-stomp shuffle)
~Sigh~ Such is life.

Last edited by DeFluffinMyStuffin; 04-24-2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: for smooveness.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I agree some of the foods need a little "help." Maybe this will help: Medifast Foods Tips & Recipes
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #14  

Hey, Defluffin', I love your posts! Here is a link that helped me get creative with the one lean n green meal we're allowed each day. I doctor the medifast packets a bit here and there but mostly just choke them down and wait it out for the lean n green.

http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/p/medifast.html

All of Sandy's meals are on-plan and delicious.

I'm also mainly subsisting on bars and shakes and it's difficult after awhile to deal with all the sweetness. But it works. I hope you will stick it out! Five pounds is GREAT for the first week!
Bones1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #15  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones1928 View Post
Hey, Defluffin', I love your posts! Here is a link that helped me get creative with the one lean n green meal we're allowed each day. I doctor the medifast packets a bit here and there but mostly just choke them down and wait it out for the lean n green.

http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/p/medifast.html

All of Sandy's meals are on-plan and delicious.

I'm also mainly subsisting on bars and shakes and it's difficult after awhile to deal with all the sweetness. But it works. I hope you will stick it out! Five pounds is GREAT for the first week!
I'm not on Medfast, but Sandy's Kitchen site looks AWESOME! Thanks for sharing
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote