Old 06-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #1  

Height: 5"1

Smile Hi, I'm NEW!

I have been on the program for 10 days and have my first weigh in tomorrow at my Dr. office. I am on the TSFL program with my Dr. and his wife is my food coach.

They went on vacation the first day i got my food in, so have been on my own for the most part aside from some texts.

I discovered this board yesterday, and have been reading up on some recipes and other ideas on how to do this program. I have over 200 lbs to lose so to do Medifast for that long sounds daunting.

I was doing great til this weekend and had every challenge I could think of happen this weekend. First I went to a wine tasting party that I had committed to before the program, and really wanted to go. Well of course nothing there was on program.

Saturday I had a scrapbooking crop with all the snacks out on the counter. That was fine, but when the pizza came in I wanted to die! The smell was soooo overwhelming. But I made it through by eating my cream of broccoli soup with a spoon of salsa and some tomatoes and cucumbers. I did succumb to 3 strawberries though. I have a hard time understanding why we can't have fruit. Then today we got invited over for lunch at a friends that my husband just couldn't turn down. Well the meal was brisket, potato salad, corn and green beans. I loaded my plate with the gran beans and a piece of brisket. I didn't like the green beans tho, and so had a spoon of corn and potato salad ( that was a bad girl)

I think I can do this program as long as I don't leave my house and don't have friends, lol. JK, but this is going to take some getting used to and finding strategies to overcome these temptations.
artistnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/218/150

Height: 5'2"

Welcome!!!

It sure does feel undaunting. But I try to remind myself that I am going to lose it much faster than I put it on.

Can't wait to watch you success here.
wildgrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi!

It sounds like you are doing a good job given your circumstances and that you just started. You were right to treat the dinner with friends as a lean & green meal, and you were right to have the soup in spite of the pizza. Bravo!

It's really good to always carry a Medifast bar or two--so that at events like the wine tasting, you'll have something you can eat and not have to go off plan.

Also, remember that if you have eaten your food for the day and your approved snacks and are still really hungry, you can have an extra Medifast shake to get past it.

Remember that the amount of lean & green foods are important. Some people underestimate how much they should eat, so get used to weighing when you can. Six ounces of chicken breast, for example, is a lot!

You'll do fine if you can stay with it! Hang in there!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #4  

Well I had my first weigh in and lost 13 lbs in 10 days. Not too shabby for my first week, and that difficult weekend. Hoping for another 10 next week.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #5  

can you tell me how to put my ticker on my signature, i don't see it in the choices of eding my cp
Old 06-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey, way to go, artistnic!!!

The rule on 3FC is that you have to have a certain number of posts and a certain number of days since you signed on before you can use the ticker feature and the private message feature. I'm not sure how many days/posts it is--maybe 30? Or maybe it's only 20... But one of the sticky messages at the top of the forum should tell you.

Stay with the program! Here's to more happy weigh-ins!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #7  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Great first week, artistnic!

I think wrapping your brain around staying on plan when you're socializing is the big challenge. At least for me, if I'm just going to work and making dinner at home, it's easier to stick to it. Even dinner out isn't too bad, but if I go to a party with snacks, it's tough. I was at an Irish festival all weekend, and the booze and late night snacks got to me. Back on the stick as of yesterday, though!

Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/178/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistnic View Post
I did succumb to 3 strawberries though. I have a hard time understanding why we can't have fruit.
You'd have to ask Medifast to get the official answer. There's a dietician on the Medifast site. However, my guess is that in addition to being low fat, low carb, and low calorie, the Medifast diet is also low sugar. Sugar is a carbohydrate, so controlling the sugar intake is part of maintaining low carbs.

Most fruits are high in sugar. Hence, no fruits when in diet mode.

Having a strawberry probably did not affect your weight loss (especially with only 2-3). That specific fruit just happens to be relatively low in sugar. However, you're just starting out. Stay as strictly on the diet as you can in the beginning. That's when your weight loss is the greatest. Give yourself every advantage to lose as much weight as you can as quickly as you can.

Cheating is corrosive. Once you do something that's off-plan, then you do a little more, then a little more. My wife has a problem with nuts, even though it's listed as an allowable snack. It's too easy to eat too many. Once she went off-plan, it was hard to get back on.

Don't give yourself permission to cheat, and it's easier to stay on plan. Watching the weight come off is a great motivator. Once staying on diet becomes a routine, it gets much easier to stay on plan even when tempted. I went to 4 kids' birthday parties while on the diet where the only foods were cake, ice cream, and pizza. One was even my own child. There's no temptation to cheat once you pass that mental point of commitment to the diet. No exceptions makes it easy. Smells good, but you already ate and you're not hungry.
Sequi 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 312/296/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey! I just started Medifast as well; I'm just starting week 3! So far I've lost 16 lbs. I've been in ketosis the whole time except for 1 day. We had a family gathering but I talked this through with my councilor and she helped me make better decisions. It did knock me out of ketosis but only for 1 day. I was right back in it 2 days later.

It can be tough eating out (especially at mexican food restaurants.. darn chips and salsa!) but my family is all over my butt because I've asked them to be and because they care about my health. So, don't hold back, let your friends and family know what you're doing and ask for help. They certainly won't let you give yourself an easy time.

BTW I love green beans! I can fix them with a LITTLE butter (it's not going to kill you or knock you out of ketosis) and S&P. Or I just recently found a recipe that I love:

Take a steamer bag of green beans and throw them in the microwave for a few minutes.
Chop up some onion (as little or as much as you like)
Open a can of petite diced tomatoes (if you're using one steamer bag, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the can should do, include some of the juice)
1-2 T. of EV Olive Oil
1/4 c. Water
Salt & Pepper to taste

Throw it all in a pan and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes on med-low.
This should make 3-4 servings. I hope you enjoy!
RedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 320/260/140

Height: 5'6

Smile Buy The Book to help you Succeed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistnic View Post
I have been on the program for 10 days and have my first weigh in tomorrow at my Dr. office. I am on the TSFL program with my Dr. and his wife is my food coach.

They went on vacation the first day i got my food in, so have been on my own for the most part aside from some texts.

I discovered this board yesterday, and have been reading up on some recipes and other ideas on how to do this program. I have over 200 lbs to lose so to do Medifast for that long sounds daunting.

I was doing great til this weekend and had every challenge I could think of happen this weekend. First I went to a wine tasting party that I had committed to before the program, and really wanted to go. Well of course nothing there was on program.

Saturday I had a scrapbooking crop with all the snacks out on the counter. That was fine, but when the pizza came in I wanted to die! The smell was soooo overwhelming. But I made it through by eating my cream of broccoli soup with a spoon of salsa and some tomatoes and cucumbers. I did succumb to 3 strawberries though. I have a hard time understanding why we can't have fruit. Then today we got invited over for lunch at a friends that my husband just couldn't turn down. Well the meal was brisket, potato salad, corn and green beans. I loaded my plate with the gran beans and a piece of brisket. I didn't like the green beans tho, and so had a spoon of corn and potato salad ( that was a bad girl)

I think I can do this program as long as I don't leave my house and don't have friends, lol. JK, but this is going to take some getting used to and finding strategies to overcome these temptations.
My best advice is to buy and read and REread Dr. Anderson's awesome book called Dr. A's Habits of Health. You can purchase it as tsfl.com or Amazon.com for $30 and it's easily worth $130! It will give you the tools you need to succeed and help you learn strategies to cope with life's challenging situations....necessary cuz they keep on coming! Best wishes for life-changing success on the MF plan! It sure works for me!!!

sidanne42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 213/175/150

Height: 5'5

That is awesome. 13lbs in 10 days is fabulous. I've been on the program for four weeks and have lost just over 13 lbs. I did cheat a few times though, hee hee. I'm happy with the loss and plan to stick to the plan. I'm finding the the longer I'm on it the easier it is to stick to it. I don't crave carbs as much anymore and so sweets are not as tempting. Good Luck, it works as long as we stick to it.
Raquel7 is offline   Reply With Quote