Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/178/150

Default Anyone have Vacation Strategies?

We took the family to Sesame Place for two days over Memorial Day weekend. My strategy was to pack MF meals with us, and do our lean and greens at carefully selected restaurants.

This strategy failed. On vacation, we weren't following any particular schedule, and with so much going on we skipped meals or forgot to bring them with us sometimes.

We then defaulted to just doing two lean and greens for the day, based on whatever foods were available. It wasn't a strict lean and green, either, just generally following the guidelines and suspending the diet for a few days. BTW, if you're going to be walking around all day, that strategy gives you a lot more energy for physical activity than the strict MF diet.

Bottom line was that after we got back, I had neither gained nor lost, whereas my wife had gained a pound. You can't count it against the diet if you're not following the diet, and we got to enjoy our vacation.

However, we're going to have other vacations in the future where we'll be eating on the road and nowhere near home. This "Plan B" worked in a pinch over a weekend, but what about longer periods of time? Like a week or two?

What are your tips or strategies for staying on diet when on vacation?

Last edited by Sequi 2008; 05-31-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Sequi 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #2  

One thing that worked was that we ate breakfast at the hotel breakfast buffet (which was pretty fancy.) It was expensive enough (not included with the room) that we might normally have balked at eating there. However, we bought coffee for the grownups and paid just for the kids. They got to pick what they wanted, and the coffee tided us over until lunch (it acted like a mild appetite suppressant.)
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'd say, you just have to plan ahead and take your foods with you. The easiest things to take are the bars. It's not hard to take a couple dozen bars along in a zipper bag and to make sure you have a couple of them with you at all times. Glove box, jacket pocket, purse, whatever.

The shakes and the Medifast shaker jar are also easy. You can make a shake in the hotel room with just cold tap water (or bottled water if you have it).

Puffs and pretels are also a good addition for variety--you can take a packet to the beach or just out and about.

You can take oatmeal packets with you and make them in the breakfast buffet. Just add hot water, which is always available, and microwave if needed to make sure it cooks (watch it closely!). Same can be done with the hot drinks.

It's really important to stay on the schedule of eating every 2 to 3 hours also. On this program, you can't afford to get hungry or skip a meal.

The other consideration is that after a few days off plan, it's kind of like starting over again. You have to reestablish fat burning metabolism, and that can be a real drag to get through...

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-31-2011 at 11:38 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #4  

Looks like going to lean and greens for 2-3 days didn't knock me out of ketosis. As soon as I resumed the regular MF schedule, my weight loss continued at the same rate as before.

I believe the key was that I kept away from the carbs and maybe because the time offplan was short.

I realize the importance of not getting hungry or skipping a meal. That's the point. When you're at a theme park with little kids, there's so much going on that you don't get hungry and you end up skipping meals without realizing it (not on purpose.)

My goals change on vacation. I'd be happy with hitting the diet pause button, not go backwards, and be able to resume as soon as we're back. I don't want to spoil everyone else's vacation just because I happen to be on a diet. That doesn't mean I'm taking a break from the diet, either. No binges or cheats, staying as on plan as possible based on circumstances.

Someone else mentioned that MF advised them to go to two lean and greens when they ran out of MF meals, while waiting for the new shipment to arrive. I reasoned that that was to stay in ketosis, even though the calorie count may be high enough not to lose weight. That's why I picked that as "Plan B." "Plan A" was to stay on diet, which turned out to be difficult when you don't have a set schedule or routine.

Last edited by Sequi 2008; 06-01-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Well, I went away this past weekend and did pretty good. My plan was to stay on plan with food, and allow myself some booze. I did have a couple chunks of cheese off the snack table on friday, but I also had some of the cauliflower. I found this YUMMY diet margarita mix called Zilch. It comes in little packets like Splenda or Crystal Light, and you mix it into tequila and water. I had 2 on Friday, and WOW I have lost a lot of my alcohol tolerance. Saturday my big cheat was the tequila, and we had a group dinner, and I ate almost all of my prime rib. Even though my friends went out to breakfast both mornings, I had a shake before I met them and socialized and drank coffee with them while they ate. I was ok with it, and while I didn't lose any weight, I didn't gain any, either. I'll take it.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 320/260/140

Height: 5'6

Thumbs up Tried and True Vacation Strategies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequi 2008 View Post
We took the family to Sesame Place for two days over Memorial Day weekend. My strategy was to pack MF meals with us, and do our lean and greens at carefully selected restaurants.

This strategy failed. On vacation, we weren't following any particular schedule, and with so much going on we skipped meals or forgot to bring them with us sometimes.

We then defaulted to just doing two lean and greens for the day, based on whatever foods were available. It wasn't a strict lean and green, either, just generally following the guidelines and suspending the diet for a few days. BTW, if you're going to be walking around all day, that strategy gives you a lot more energy for physical activity than the strict MF diet.

Bottom line was that after we got back, I had neither gained nor lost, whereas my wife had gained a pound. You can't count it against the diet if you're not following the diet, and we got to enjoy our vacation.

However, we're going to have other vacations in the future where we'll be eating on the road and nowhere near home. This "Plan B" worked in a pinch over a weekend, but what about longer periods of time? Like a week or two?

What are your tips or strategies for staying on diet when on vacation?
Hi! Great post; thanx 4 sharing! This is def an issue that affects us all -- how to stay true to the MF plan while living our real lives. I recently went to Ocean City , MD to visit my bro and had my mom and our large lab / small pony in tow. Talk about stress!!! My mother is very negative, and my dog had the runs...so we stopped about 8 times enroute and I had to attempt to pick up icky runnies with poopy bags...ach...TMI...sorry! My point is, by the time we got to OC, I was ready for a bushel of crabs and a TALL pitcher of Margaritas...however, I resisted! WE were greeted by my alcoholic fisherman brother sitting outside of his townhouse in a lawn chair, mega-cocktail in hand, smoking a cigarette. I had entered the Land of the NonHealthy. He proceeded to drink from 9 AM until he barfed (2-3 X / Day) for the next 3 days. I think his state of unhealthiness, while very disturbing, actually helped me to stay on track with my eating plan. I had put my daily MF PCMR's in separate Ziplocs -- one back per day -- and had labeled them as to which day was which. I packed mostly bars and shakes, however threw in a few soups as well. I also put in another bag of just bars -- and this really came in handy when we were on the road or walking on the Boardwalk, I could just munch on a bar and keep moving! Other than eating 2 lobster tails and a few stalks more than allowed of freshly steamed asparagus -- its beguiling spring green color seduced me! -- I stayed ON PLAN!!! I did still lose 5 lbs. at the next weekly weigh in, and so my vacation, while emotionallly traumatic, was a dietary success!!! Best wishes for success on your next foray into Vacationland! I hope my story, though long and rambling, helped you. Good luck -- I'm in your corner!!!

Sidanne
sidanne42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 320/260/140

Height: 5'6

Red face Misprint! OOPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidanne42 View Post
Hi! Great post; thanx 4 sharing! This is def an issue that affects us all -- how to stay true to the MF plan while living our real lives. I recently went to Ocean City , MD to visit my bro and had my mom and our large lab / small pony in tow. Talk about stress!!! My mother is very negative, and my dog had the runs...so we stopped about 8 times enroute and I had to attempt to pick up icky runnies with poopy bags...ach...TMI...sorry! My point is, by the time we got to OC, I was ready for a bushel of crabs and a TALL pitcher of Margaritas...however, I resisted! WE were greeted by my alcoholic fisherman brother sitting outside of his townhouse in a lawn chair, mega-cocktail in hand, smoking a cigarette. I had entered the Land of the NonHealthy. He proceeded to drink from 9 AM until he barfed (2-3 X / Day) for the next 3 days. I think his state of unhealthiness, while very disturbing, actually helped me to stay on track with my eating plan. I had put my daily MF PCMR's in separate Ziplocs -- one back per day -- and had labeled them as to which day was which. I packed mostly bars and shakes, however threw in a few soups as well. I also put in another bag of just bars -- and this really came in handy when we were on the road or walking on the Boardwalk, I could just munch on a bar and keep moving! Other than eating 2 lobster tails and a few stalks more than allowed of freshly steamed asparagus -- its beguiling spring green color seduced me! -- I stayed ON PLAN!!! I did still lose 5 lbs. at the next weekly weigh in, and so my vacation, while emotionallly traumatic, was a dietary success!!! Best wishes for success on your next foray into Vacationland! I hope my story, though long and rambling, helped you. Good luck -- I'm in your corner!!!

Sidanne
OOPS! I meant to say, "one BAG per day!" Sorry!

Sidanne
sidanne42 is offline   Reply With Quote