Old 07-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #121  

Jay, you probably don't use this, but DaVinci Groumet Sugar Free has splenda in it. I know some people use that with medifast or even non-medifast food substitions. I was reading the recipe ideas for ideas for me.

I think I had trouble finding it and the ones I saw in the store were 2 or 3 flavors I didn't like. I need to look some more.
daw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #122  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up Medifast substitutions

I am seriously glad I found this thread, but sorry I didn't find it sooner! I have never done Medifast before and my package is scheduled to arrive on Monday. I wish I had known about DietDirect and WonderSlim before I ordered Medifast!

I am probably going to switch over after the first month. (Have seriously limited $$ resources!) I have already ordered the puffs and crisps from DietDirect because the Medifast 20 box started kit didn't offer enough variety.

-- ShrinkingMe

Last edited by shr1nk1ngme; 07-24-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added ticker
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #123  

Quote:
Originally Posted by verykeri7 View Post
I forgot to mention: The closest thing I could find for a crunchy snack that tasted as good as Medifast cheesepuffs is a brand called "Lesser Evil"

They are in the organic section of the grocery store. Their Lesser Evil Potato Krinkle Sticks "Lightly Sea Salted" have a very generous serving size of 40 sticks and 110 calories, 2.5g fat, 20 carbs, 2g fiber, 2g protein, 0g sugar.

They are not an exact match for the cheese puff because they do not have a lot of protein so you'd need to make sure to add egg whites or some protein in another meal, etc.

They taste awesome and remind me of a cross between a french fry and cheese puffs. Very satisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daw123 View Post
I found another crunchy snack

Pringles Baked Wheat Stix - Honey Butter
Calories ... 90
Fat ... 3.5g
Carbs ... 12g
Protein ... 2g

This works with my 3 main meals being very high in protien and low in carbs. Plus my vitamin and mineral supplement with my L&G.

There was another flavor at the store, but it was a spicy flavor so I didn't even look at it. They're packaged indivdually so perfect for on-the-go!
Another crunch snack to add to the list.

Pringles Snack Size Containers
They come in 12 snack sizes in a package, each individual snack size package is:
Calories 110
Total Fat 8g
Carbs 11g
Sugars 0g
Protien 1g

Also the Stix I found another flavor PIZZA. It wasn't too bad. I still prefer the honey butter...

Again, these are my dail fuelings, I call "snacks" or 'dessert" and my 3 "meals" are high in protien and healthy. It's similar to what will work when I'm on Maintenance and follow Medifasts Maintenance 3 and 3 Plan. 3 main meals 3 daily fuelings.

I also take a multi vitmain with my L&G to make sure I get all the nutrients my body needs.

Plus my water.

Last edited by daw123; 07-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:40 AM   #124  

S/C/G: See sig for ticker and blog

Height: 5' 2"

I just bought 50 billion boxes off ebay over the last few days- I figured may as well stock up. + if I pay - I'm more likely to stick to it in the long run.
painfullystoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #125  

Quote:
Originally Posted by painfullystoic View Post
I just bought 50 billion boxes off ebay over the last few days- I figured may as well stock up. + if I pay - I'm more likely to stick to it in the long run.

When I tried Medifast last year (but couldn't stick to it because my body couldn't take the soy), it seemed like I had 50 billion boxes too.

I've been trying to stock up on my non-medifast food substitutes and it seems like I have tons of boxes still. I just need to find room for what I have (I want variety) and buy right before I run out.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #126  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
No Prob! Anything that makes it easier for me, while sticking to my goal, is what I'm after. I'm 48 and struggling way more than I used to have to to get healthy again. I've made myself a Medifast 'Food Category' Nutrition Value Average chart that makes At-A-Glance shopping decisions MUCH easier for me. It might not be for everyone, but I figure if it helps me it might help others; and supporting each other makes it much more endurable! I'll see if the chart will paste here:

Cool chart. How did I miss it? Thanks.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #127  
Bacon makes it better.

S/C/G: 135/128/106

Height: 5'1.5"

Sequi-Your ice cream/ fish egg/ gummy bear substitution idea truly made me laugh out loud. What creativity! Where do you come up with this stuff?? Wherever it comes from- please don't stop.

When I wake up every morning I have a full scoop of IsoFlex whey protein isolate mixed with 3/4 cup of water which I dump into iced coffee.Calories- 110, Fat-0, Total Carbs- 1, Protein 27mg.

My first Medifast shipment has not arrived yet and maybe I will be persuaded to give it up after I read the lit., but I hope not because it is so delicious and along with the caffeine it gives me a happy little buzz.
SkinnyBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #128  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey SkinnyBacon,

The only "problem" with your morning drink from a Medifast point of view is that is has too few grams of carbs, of all things! Other than that, it looks OK.

You could balance it out by using half a scoop of the protein and half a cup of 1% milk, then putting it into the iced coffee. Yum.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #129  
Bacon makes it better.

Thank you Jay!

I would say that is a great problem to have. Your advice on adding the carbs will be taken. I don't know why I am so nuts about this protein drink, I'm not even a real 'chocolate' person. I tasted a bit of powder on my hands when they were salty from adding sea salt to chicken and I was in bliss.

Medifast was such an exciting prospect to me that I just went ahead and ordered a month with a custom menu....then I was still so excited that I ordered a month of the WonderSlim from dietdirect. Good thing I have a decent job!!

I plan to use the two brands interchangeably. And yes, Wonderslim was about $100 cheaper and includes more stuff. After all, variety is the spice of life. I have a feeling I will do just fine.

SB
Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #130  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

I must hasten to add--Medifast doesn't allow dairy, strictly speaking. But, I can't use the Medifast foods except maybe once a day, so I've had to improvise. (I have a sensitivity to the protein isolates.)

I don't think Wonder Slim is comparable to Medifast, but to each their own. Maybe compare the nutrition profile of two comparable foods (bars or shakes) and see what the differences are.

Jay
Old 09-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #131  
Bacon makes it better.

Hi Jay. Thank you for the useful information. I should probably try strict Medifast for a week before mixing it up at all. I tend to lose weight fairly easily, so my assumption is that an vlc diet would work for me, but of course assumptions are what got me in trouble with my weight in the first place...or maybe it was rationalizations...either way. Your feedback is appreciated.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #132  

Jay! You're half way! Awesome
SpinDizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #133  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey SpinDizzie! Yeah, I am! Thanks for noticing!

Jay
Old 09-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #134  

On my quest to find good foods for substitution, I rediscovered Genisoy. Many of their products reasonably fit the MF foods profile. I ordered the salt and vinegar soy crisps and the deep sea salt soy nuts from Amazon. I'm going to use them in place of my Bites for a month and see how that works. When I run out of brownies, I will try the VitaTops mentioned in this thread. Special K's low carb, high protein cereal is also on my list. I probably would use either unsweetened Silk or low fat, plain yogurt with it.
SpinDizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #135  

I was looking through some of my old Woman's World Magazines, and on one cover was Genie Francis from General Hopsital (she played Laura). She went on medifast and lost 40 lbs and went from a size 12 to a size 2. WOW.

Then they had their own plan. They did a lot of diary, but I think that's because it's hard to get protien in all 5 meals without it. And they added fruit too. Probably to make it look more healthy. Plus probably to up the calories. This so they don't get called out and people saying its a "fad diet", which people tend to do with very low calorie diets/eating plans and haven't tried or researched them.

They had things for the 5 meals like
  • 1 packet of low sugar oatmal or 1/2 cup plain instant oatmeal & 1 cut fat-free milk
  • 1 single serving box or 1 bowl cerial (up to 100 calories) & 1/2 cup fat-free milk
  • 8 oz container of lite yogurt & 1 tangerine
  • 1 protien or energy bar (up to 110 claories with at least 9 gm protien) & 1 lite fruit cup
  • 4 oz container or 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese & 1 mini box or 2 Tbs raisins
  • 1 hardboiled egg & 1 ready pack-baby carrots with ranch dressing or 6 baby carrots with 1 Tbs dressing
  • 1 bag lite microwave popcorn, cooking spray, 1 Tbs Parmessan cheese
  • 1 oz string cheese & 1 small apple
  • 1 packet no-sugar-added Carnation instant breakfast & 1 cup fat-free milk
  • 100 calorie almond pack or 15 almonds & 1 tangerine
  • 1 single serving pouch or 1/3 cup canned tuna or salmon, 2 tsp fat-free vinaegreet & 10 all-bran multigrain crackers
  • 1 single serving containeror 1 bowl canned soup (up to 125 calories)

Then the "L&G Meals were
  • Quick Omelet: 2 oz lean ham or any lean protien, 3 eggs, 1 1/2 cupts chopped nonstargin vegetables
  • 1 frozen dinner entree (up to 280 calories), 1 cup green vegetables
  • 5 oz chicken breast, lean beef or seafood seasoned to taste & 1 1/2 cups cooked nonstarchy vegatbles drizzled with 5 tsp. olive oil

I found their plan... interesting.

They did have some interesting side notes

In one German study, dieters using a plan similar to Geneie's sharnk their wasts 240% more than folks using a traditional low-fat diet.

Increase your protien intake to about 30% of your total calories and you'll automatically want 494 fewer calories a day, say University of Washing scientiests.