3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Medifast

Non-Medifast Brand Foods For Substitution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 05:05 AM   #106
Junior Member
 
wildgrits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 21

S/C/G: 270/218/150

Height: 5'2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Not enough protein. Not enough protein. This is not a substitute for a Medifast meal because there is not enough protein. This is simply a brownie.

Jay
I understand that you don't want people to be lead astray.

I think if someone is posting a product on this thread, it is up to the individual to double check the values to make sure it works for them.

Thank you to the folks who are posting nutritional values with the items they suggest.

Sequi 2008 you got me all excited to think I could have Booty just to stomp on my dreams when I checked the values. Shame on you. I totally mean this in jest, sort of.

SpinDizzie thanks for mentioning the sweetner used in Wonderslim. I didn't even think to look and like you that stuff gives me a screaming headache.
__________________



May: -25
June: -9
July: -4
wildgrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #107
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45

Default

Tis weekend I decided to try the Egg Beater, got the store version. Great weekend breakfast or for something diferent for me.

I choose the. Yoke version.

Cal 30
Fat 0
Sodium 115mg
Carb 1g
Sugars less than 1g
Protien 6g

So I did 3 servings, very fillng.
daw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #108
1 day at a time =^.^=
 
justducky2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 109

S/C/G: 275/217/165

Height: 5'5"

Default

spindizzie and wildgrits, Diet Direct now has some WonderSlim in aspartame-free - it just came out:

http://www.dietdirect.com/wonderslim..._content=WS140

And I agree, thanks spindizzie, I hadn't really noticed that.

I do buy some vegan protein supplements from iHerb, they use stevia as the sweetener, which I prefer. And I just tasted some "Totally Soy" meal replacement at Sam's Club yesterday (they were tasting it!) and it was good; sweetener was sucralose. However, carbs were not as low as medifast and wonderslim (more like slim-fast carbs).
__________________


One is too much, because ten is not enough...

HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Following a low glycemic, almost-vegan, Gastric Bypass lifestyle.
justducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #109
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45

Default

Here's another idea for a non-medifast food from the grocery store:

Jillian Michaels Protein Shake Nutrition
Calories 100
Fat 1.5g
Carbs 7g
Protien 15g
Soidum 45mg

I had tried this a few years ago and it's not bad. At the time the calories were a bit low, but in this case, it would work perfectly.
daw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #110
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 54

S/C/G: 213/178/150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgrits View Post

I think if someone is posting a product on this thread, it is up to the individual to double check the values to make sure it works for them.
Respectfully, I disagree. If you're choosing to use a non-Medifast substitute I suggest, it is up to you to decide if that substitute works for you. I'm not going to force you to use something that worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgrits View Post
Sequi 2008 you got me all excited to think I could have Booty just to stomp on my dreams when I checked the values. Shame on you. I totally mean this in jest, sort of.
I think you misunderstood my post, and its followup. I'll therefore try it another way.

Have 1/2 serving of Pirate's Vegetable with 3 boiled egg whites (boil an egg and don't eat the yolk or the shell.) Also eat the head of a children's gummy bear daily multi-vitamin.

This provides:
116.6 calories
2.8g fat
9.2g total carbs
1.1g fiber
1.1g sugar
11.8g protein
20% of RDA vitamins (thanks to the gummy bear vitamin head)

This compares to a Medifast Chili Nacho Cheese Puff:
110 calories
2.5g fat
14g total carbs
4g fiber
3g sugar
11g protein
20% of RDA vitamins

Do those numbers work for you? Does that presentation of the numbers make more sense? All I did was divide the serving size numbers for the Booty in half, and add the numbers for 3 boiled egg whites.

The way I actually do it is to eat the whole serving at one meal, and 5 egg whites at the next meal. I do this because it's a pain to split up a serving, and I'm looking for convenience.

NOTE: I know my math doesn't add up. I said 5 egg whites, but 3+3=6. Well, six egg whites is a bit much to eat at a single sitting, but I can do 5.

NOTE: I don't keep beheading children's multivitamins. I actually eat a single daily multivitamin all at once. It isn't necessary to split multivitamins into five pieces and eat one piece with every meal. For some reason, people don't find that last statement controversial, yet they object to doing the same thing with proteins and carbs.

CAVEAT: I applied this technique to only one (admittedly huge) bulk bag of Pirate's Booty from Costco. It was successful, in that I continued to lose weight as I worked through the bag. However, I personally DON'T RECOMMEND doing this substitution AS A STAPLE. Do it only as an exception, or once in a while if you need the variety. If you do try it, pre-measure the servings and don't eat directly out of the bag. Why? -- Because it is too tempting to eat the whole bag. Maybe if you're getting little bags from the grocery store it may work better. After I finished the bulk bag, I didn't get any more. One of my personal objectives is to retrain myself to eat better once my diet goals have been met. Leaving behind snack foods (regardless of their nutritional makeup) is part of that.

It's also worth noting that this Medifast substitute is short on fiber. Among other reasons, fiber is provided to help give you that "full" feeling and get you to the next meal without feeling hungry. In practice, the low fat protein from the egg whites has the same effect. You can also add a fiber tablet if it concerns you (eat it with the egg whites). That lack of fiber is another reason to not do the substitution all the time. A diet high in fiber is good for you by helping to lower your blood pressure, keeps your heart healthy, and helps your digestive system break down fats more effectively (all of which protein DOESN'T do.)

EDIT: Forgot to add the caveat that this substitution is NOT approved by Medifast. This is a NON-Medifast brand food. I know it sounds redundant, but apparently some people miss this point. DO NOT EAT THIS If YOU ARE INTENDING TO STAY 100% MEDIFAST.
__________________

Last edited by Sequi 2008 : 06-29-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Sequi 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #111
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 54

S/C/G: 213/178/150

Default

Actually, I think the statement I'm leading people astray is pretty funny. Sequi is the present infinitive form of the Latin word "sequor," which means "follow, come, or go after."

I'm not leading, I'm following.

I do believe the Medifast diet works, and I've been having good success with it. I have been moving off and on the Medifast-branded foods, but I have been keeping the nutrition counts the same. If you don't like the concept of a substitute, don't use it. Stay 100% on with Medifast products if that works better for you. I was just sharing some things that worked for me when I was trying to save a little money (and also because I like to tinker with things.)

The whole exercise kept me interested and on the diet.

I'm actually going to start participating less and less over time, because I'm starting to achieve my goals. My BMI is now normal, and I'm now fitting my "thin pants." My focus is starting to shift towards maintenance and developing a healthy lifestyle post-Medifast.

While I haven't yet achieved the ambitious goal I originally set for the weight, that goal might actually be too low to be healthy. I'm still on diet for a few more weeks, but my weight loss has slowed down on its own. It's hard to believe I'm down almost 40 pounds in only 10 weeks.
__________________

Last edited by Sequi 2008 : 06-29-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Sequi 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #112
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45

Default

Sequi congrats on getting there! Thanks for your posts, I like them.
I remember reading on the medifast boards that the powder fiber that dissolves into water or food is good to use. I've been using that in the morning with my shake the last few days.

I'm still working on it. Lost 8.3 lbs in 9 days. So it's going good for me. And I'm still doing this diet, which is a great thing for me
daw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #113
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45

Default

I was looking up some ideas for shakes (getting tired of just chocolate) and came across the medifast maintence plan

[can't post a link but you can google it ...medifast1.com/plans/maintenance... there's also a pdf guide on the internet ... medifastmedia.com/med/docs/maintenance_guide.pdf ]

Medifast Maintenance Plan is the 3 & 3 Plan. Which is what I'm doing now.

3 high protien meals--for me low calorie because I want to lose weight with only one L&G at night).
3 daily fueling--for me I'm calling them snacks and dessert

So I'm hoping this will help me when I go to maintenance.

Last edited by daw123 : 07-08-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: updated typos and to make it easier to understand
daw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #114
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by verykeri7 View Post
I forgot to mention: The closest thing I could find for a crunchy snack that tasted as good as Medifast cheesepuffs is a brand called "Lesser Evil"

They are in the organic section of the grocery store. Their Lesser Evil Potato Krinkle Sticks "Lightly Sea Salted" have a very generous serving size of 40 sticks and 110 calories, 2.5g fat, 20 carbs, 2g fiber, 2g protein, 0g sugar.

They are not an exact match for the cheese puff because they do not have a lot of protein so you'd need to make sure to add egg whites or some protein in another meal, etc.

They taste awesome and remind me of a cross between a french fry and cheese puffs. Very satisfying.
I found another crunchy snack

Pringles Baked Wheat Stix - Honey Butter
Calories ... 90
Fat ... 3.5g
Carbs ... 12g
Protein ... 2g

This works with my 3 main meals being very high in protien and low in carbs. Plus my vitamin and mineral supplement with my L&G.

There was another flavor at the store, but it was a spicy flavor so I didn't even look at it. They're packaged indivdually so perfect for on-the-go!

Last edited by daw123 : 07-08-2011 at 11:30 AM.
daw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #115
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45

Default

Another idea.
Since I didn't feel like yet another shake and forgot to buy my liquid eggs, I found my Pure Protien bars. I'm dividing it up into 2 meals.

Each meal will contain:
Cal 100
Carb 9g
Protien 10g

Yes it makes it a very small bar cutting it in half, but I have the Chewy ones and they are chewy so that helps them last.
daw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #116
Member
 
SpinDizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 56

Default

Thanks for the heads-up, Justducky2!
__________________
SpinDizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #117
Beyonce got NOTHIN on me
 
bodyTOObootylicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 150

S/C/G: 180/ticker/127ish?

Height: 5'4.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daw123 View Post
Another idea.
Since I didn't feel like yet another shake and forgot to buy my liquid eggs, I found my Pure Protien bars. I'm dividing it up into 2 meals.

Each meal will contain:
Cal 100
Carb 9g
Protien 10g

Yes it makes it a very small bar cutting it in half, but I have the Chewy ones and they are chewy so that helps them last.
I did the same thing while waiting for my first delivery of food... I looked at pretty much every bar in the supermarket and having 1/2 a Pure Protein bar was as close as you could get to the nutritional content of the Medifast ones. I had one bar every 4 hours instead of 1/2 a bar every 2.

That being said, my health coach told me not to make any substitutions, BUT I must say the Pure Protein peanut butter bars taste like a real candy bar next to Medifast ones....
__________________
-SJ


bodyTOObootylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #118
Just Yr Everyday Chick
 
JayEll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,934

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
BUT I must say the Pure Protein peanut butter bars taste like a real candy bar next to Medifast ones....
Do they use artificial sweeteners? You won't find them in Medifast foods.

Jay
__________________
"My religion is kindness." --His Holiness the Dalai Lama
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #119
Senior Member
 
Lyn2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,411

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Do they use artificial sweeteners? You won't find them in Medifast foods.

Jay
Jay, there are plenty of artificial sweeteners in the Medifast foods. The crunch bars have sucralose (splenda) and sugar alcohols, the other foods contain acesulfame potassium.
__________________
Lyn
Lost 103 pounds, regained 60+, taking it off again.
My Blog:
www.escapefromobesity.net
*Never Give Up!*
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #120
Just Yr Everyday Chick
 
JayEll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,934

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default

Oh, thanks Lynn. I don't use the crunch bars, so I didn't know that. My mistake. The foods I have used seem to be sweetened mostly with fruit sugar. And no aspartame.

Jay
__________________
"My religion is kindness." --His Holiness the Dalai Lama
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2