Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 315/296/165

Height: 5'6"

Smile

Let me know how the flaxseed goes. I have some already ground up but just have not brought myself to add it in to my shakes yet.

I am glad I found this group because group support is something I need to keep this up. Since I am doing Medifast as part of a study all of my shakes are provided so I am making my husband do slimfast with me...he has already quit.
Gatorgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #32  
banned

S/C/G: 210/155/145

Height: 5'4"

I use flaxseed in my oatmeal & shakes, has a nutty taste

I bake my oatmeal into muffins & use flaxseed

I never really know the flaxseed is there
thin nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #33  

Smile

Thanks, I will try the flaxseed tomorrow. We'll see how it goes and I'll let you know.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 192/192/130

Height: 5'0

Thanks for the help. I did have a lean and green meal last night. I was ready for something cooked. But back at the shakes again today!
jmeyeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #35  

I had one more shake that I needed to do last night so I ended up putting the flaxseed in the chocolate one with some ice and blended it up. It did give a little nutty taste. I just kept telling myself it was "peanut butter" mixed with chocolate, not bad
Old 06-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #36  
Operator265

Are Y'all doing the diet on Shakes only? I don't think I could handle it w/o the soups and bars myself. They give me some fullness.

Last edited by Operator265; 06-17-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #37  

I am doing Medifast as part of a study at Duke. I do the 5 shakes a day and the one l&g meal. Yesterday since the kids were with grandma I got up late and got a late start on the shakes and ended up having one more to do at 9:30.

Does anyone else have trouble getting all their shakes in? Somedays I can only get in 4 because I am just not hungry or wanting anything else. I usually save my meal for dinner and do a salad with some broiled salmon or a turkey roll-up. I also try to snack on some fruit around lunch time for my one snack a day.

I don't think I could do just the shakes and no food. I need to chew on something at least once a day. I also found adding the special k protein water powder (pink lemonade) to my bottle of water helps during the day too.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #38  
Releasing the inner hiker

I also could not do the shakes only, although I find most of them tasty. I just had a Peanut Butter bar today for the first time...OMG, so good.

I have been thinking about the flaxseed. I'm worried that the foods will tasty grainy, sandy, or crunchy, especially the shakes. I have texture issues with my food, lol. I hate crunchy things in smooth foods, like onions in tuna fish or celery in soup.

My grocery store remodeled in the last 2 weeks. The only syrups they sell now are vanilla and hazelnut, neither sugar free. Since I'll have to order syrups online, does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about the Capella drops? I like how those bottles are smaller and easier to store.

Gatorgirl, how long is your Duke study? How did you hear of it? Are they comparing the Medifast program with other programs? If so, do you know what other programs people are on? I'm so curious...

Operator, my foot is getting better. I'm finally off the antibiotics and while my foot is still swelling daily, I can walk on it without much pain. Thanks for asking! I really walked a lot this weekend (over 10 miles), so I'm feeling better physically and mentally.

I'm glad to see some activity here today. I've been lonely.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #39  

The study is 14 months total. The first 8 weeks is Medifast and then I transition to foods but will be taking a medication that Pfizer is studying to help maintain weight loss and that will be for 12 months. I am almost 1/2 way through the 8 weeks, I have a weigh in tomorrow. I actually did a study with them several years ago and lost a lot of weight only to gain it back while dealing with my dad's cancer battle. They called a couple of months ago and said that they had another study starting if I was interested so I signed up. You can find clinical trials on the Duke website and many other websites out there.

I put the ground up flaxseed in the shake and blended it in the blender. It does not taste gritty or anything. I have to do my shakes in the blender with ice and make them more like a smoothie, can't do just the shake and water. I add frozed fruit to the vanilla and strawberry ones and instant coffee to the swiss mocha and lots of ice.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #40  
Operator265

Hey Jen. Glad to hear your foot's not hurting atleast. Be better when it starts shrinking. I put some flaxseed in my chili today and didn't notice it. But, since I ate it shortly after I prepped it, the beans were still kinda crunchy. It should be better when I make it for my work lunches. But I wanted to try it at home first so if I didn't like it, I could toss it and get something else. Now I can add it to my tolerable list.

I've got the peanut butter bars coming with my next order. Got the s'mores last time. To dry, they're off the list.

Be sure you grind the flax. If you don't you'll just be wasting money since they won't be digested. Saw Oprah w/ Dr. Oz one day and he told her that. She was like "You mean I've been taking all that damned flax for nothing?" And you don't need a bunch. Just like 2 tbls. a day, so just spread it out. From what I've heard, it can sometimes taste nutty if you put enough in, but I've not heard anything about gritty.

Gator- I've had trouble getting all my meals in too. I've even had to slam shakes before bed a couple of times to get them in.

So, is the study allowing fruit, cause MF doesn't have any during the loss phase because of the sugar content? They bring them back in during transition.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #41  

The study allows about 1/2 cup to 1 cup fruit. The only fruit I cannot have are grapes and bananas because of their high sugar content. I have been doing a lot of blueberries and raspberries in my vanilla shake and they even let me add a little splash of pomagrante juice, not a lot though.

Since I do not like any type of salad dressing (yes, i am weird) they let me put a tablespoon of sunflower seeds on my salads to get a "healthy fat" in for the day.

Has anyone tried the banana cream shake? They said it tastes like banana pudding and I have 1 packet but I just have not brought myself to try it yet.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #42  
banned

S/C/G: 210/155/145

Height: 5'4"

You hAVE to get all 5 meals in. The beauty of ketosis is you never feel hungry

I dont do 5 shakes a day, I Live for variety so I mix it up. Dr. Anderson is the founder of MF. We have mutual friends that called him on his cell phone & I talked to him. He recommends 2 shakes a day & then 3 other meals
I love the pudding, I end everyday. I just started the juice type drinks, tropical punch, raspberry tea & mango something LOL I cant remember
Love those.

I am surprised to see fruit because they are high in carbs & will knock you out of ketosis, not recommended
thin nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #43  
Operator265

The banana cream shake is good. I just ordered the juice drinks with my next order. I can't handle the hot drinks w/ summer on us.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 236/223/180

Default Hi

Hi all,

Glad to hear everyone is doing well, thought I'd add my two cents in, my favourite bar is the chocolate mint - especially if you nuke it for about 15 seconds! Yummmm - almost too good! I like to take my time and eat it with a knife and fork, neater to eat that way anyway, after it's all melty and warm.

When I did MF the first time around someone on the forum suggested using pudding in place of shakes, mix them in the blender with some water and ice, and they are a nice thick shake! Love the chocolate! One shake I really like as well is the orange cream- tastes just like a creamsicle to me.

Have a great evening!

Terry
slimoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #45  
Releasing the inner hiker

Has anyone tried the antioxidant shakes? They come in Blueberry, Dark Chocolate, and Cherry Pomegrante flavors, which all sound delicious to me.

Operator, I'm sorry you didn't like the S'mores bars! They really taste like slightly dry rice krispy treats to me.

Terry, that is an interesting idea about using the pudding as a shake. I may give that a try.

Gatorgirl, I like the banana shakes too. The only shake I dislike is the vanilla one.

Well, it is official. I can not have Dry Roasted Edamame in the house. I eat the whole bag and can't limit myself to one serving. Blah. Such a tasty snack, too.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote