Old 01-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #1  
cheeky monkey

S/C/G: 367/See ticker/180

Height: 6'0"

Default Questions

I read about Medifast today and am thinking about trying the program. I have type 2 diabetes and see they make a plan specifically for me. I have a few questions and hope y’all can maybe help me.

Ironically even though I am at the weight I’m at I don’t eat three meals a day, let alone 3 meals and 3 snacks. I work full-time and go to school full-time so I am concerned I won’t get them all in. I’m glad to see you mix them with water which is much better for my lifestyle than milk like Slimfast. Is it possible to maybe combine the in between snacks with the meals or does that mess up the program?

Also I assume that since this program is protein dense and low carb that the idea is to produce an Atkins like response in the body? I’m concerned about putting out ketones and thus damaging my kidneys, a concern with my diabetes.

Is the program expensive? I see 4 weeks is $275.00 do you have to order all that?

Thanks!
ChallengeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/231/160

Height: 5'6

Hey Girl!

I might have a few answers for you.

First, the program is NOT 3 meals and 3 snacks... It is WAY MORE food than that! You are looking at 5 MF meals (the little packet) + 1 Lean and Green Meal (some protein and a lot of veggies) + 2 optional snacks (donot have to be big... It can be some SF candy or the MF snacks if you want to buy them... I don't). I use my snack as extra food like when i make biscuits out of the Creamy Chicken soup, I like to top it with Laughing Cow cheese or a string cheese...

Second, This program is very travel friendly... You just need a microwave... Or, if not available, you can always prepare some food ahead of time... By this i mean that u can make some biscuits for one meal, a banana bread for the other one... etc... The Possibilities are endless if you are willing to try the recipes... Some are good and some are really gross... It is all a matter of personal taste... I posted the one that i found on the mymedifast webiste that i actually love! Just keep in mind, that when you see pancakes recipe as a exemple, it will NOT taste as good as the real thing... But pretty OK for diet food...

Third, about the Ketone question, they ask you to take some fish oil supplement every day. I take 6 pills just to be safe and i drink ALL my water.

This program works... At least for me and all the people i have seen on the website... What is amazing for me is that i have absolutely NO cravings and no wanting to cheat (except for yesterday but it was linked to that bad time of the month!). I have been on it for close to 3 weeks and I love it so far!

As far as buying it, you can buy 4 weeks at a time with 1 extra week or you can do 2 weeks, but you do not get the extra week... It is up to you! I personally go to a center so that i can pick my own food and if i do not like something i can trade it in... One of the advantage of the center is also that you ALWAYS get an extra week and not just the first time you order... If you have alot of weight to lose like me, it is a pretty good deal! Roughly around $55/week. + They take your measurment, get you on a really cool scale that tells you precisely where your fat is and what you body composition is...

Sorry for the length of it! I was just trying to be as helpful as I could
Floprieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 7"

Flo, I missed the fish oil thing and I do not drink even half of the water. Guess I'd better read my book!! Thanks for the heads up.

CMe, I would check with your MD for sure. Hope it works for you.
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #4  

I just started Medifast after doing much research. This is a 5 and 1 meal plan. Five of your meals are Medifast meals. These meals are powder packets and bars which equal approx. 100 calories each. This gives you about 500 calories per day. The 1 "Lean & Green" meal is a meal of your choosing: 5 to 7 oz. of protein (chicken, turkey, fish) and also 3 servings of veggies. Medifast gives you guidelines to help you keep your one Lean & Green meal- low cal & low carb so you don't blow too many calories with meal. With the 5 and 1 plan, your total calories will top off somewhere between 900-1100 cal/day.
The idea behind eating every 2-3 hrs is so that your body is continuously metabolizing. Some say that if you limit your calories too much or your meal are too spread out (time wise), your body will hold onto your fat as a defense mechanism (it may think you're starving and hold onto fat for fuel.
My best advice is to try it out for a month. The variety packs are priced a little lower than purchasing a la carte. I opted to buy "a la carte" because I'm a little picky when it comes to flavors. Also, if you use "Google" and search for "Medifast Coupons", you will find coupon codes that you can use during your online checkout. I used one and saved $50, plus I received the shaker jar and book for free (You will also get all of the start-up information with your order). H
Hope this helps! Keep me posted!
Chelle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/231/160

Height: 5'6

Chelle: was the $50 coupon on top of the free week of food? Did u have to sign for autodelivery?
Floprieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #6  

Flo: I'll check it out for ya. (have to find my packing slip)
Chelle5 is offline   Reply With Quote