What's for lean and green? Suggestions.

You're on Page 3 of 5
Go to
  • I had sliced green peppers, mushrooms, garlic, ginger, basil, jalapeno stir-fried with MSF chicken strips for thai style ginger stir-fry...delicious...
  • I didn't realize there were so many lean and green meals. I just focus on salads and brocolli, so this will really help! Thank you all!
  • Taco Salad
    My First two days this week I had a lean and green taco salad and it was delicious.

I had 2 cups of romaine lettuce
    lean ground beef, rotel tomatoes mixed with wf ranch dressing and i mixed it all up. It cured that mexican food craving I had as well!

I seasoned the meat with cumin, cilantro, and garlic....I am trying to learn how to season "mexican food" without the premixed packages...

I will be trying the buffalo recipe tonight!
  • Salmon is on the plan - 5 oz.

My husband and I are huge sushi fans and get very fresh tuna from the seafood section of our small local gourmet store. It's not too expensive for now and then. At least it's not as expensive as going out for sushi!

We slice it about 1/4 of an inch thick and eat it with low sodium soy sauce that has a dab of wasabi in it. Yum! A cucumber salad goes great with it. It REALLY helps when we get that "We're not eating the good food normal people do Blues"
  • wow wow wow! so excited to see all these great Lean and Green ideas! this is one of the things I was worried about with medifast. i have to admit that i'm not much of a cook, but maybe being on mf will help out. i can't wait to try the tuna patties.

i've been eating the taco salad for the last couple of days and am pretty happy about it. if you haven't tried it, here's a recipe and step-by-step photos on how to do it. you have to scroll down a little bit:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Medifast-Recipes

if anybody has other recipes with pictures, i would really appreciate it. it really helps me figure out if i am headed in the right direction or if i am totally screwing up the recipe.
  • Bobbidoll,

If you want to make your own taco seasoning, it is a mixture of cumin, chili powder, oregano, red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Commercial kinds also put in sugar, salt, potato starch, dried milk and citric acid.
  • Hi everyone!! I'm new!
    Hi everyone! I am excited to come across this website, I am excited for support from other people!! I am due to have gastric bypass surgery in December, but I am trying to seriously lose weight on my own before then to prevent the surgery ( because Im scared!!) I am currently 255 pounds and I need to lose over 100 pounds!! My doctor just recomended the lean and green diet and gave me a paper on it but did not go over it with me. Today is day two on my diet. I had 2 cups on egg beaters with low fat cheese and ham for breakfast and I had an all green salad with fat free light thousand island dressing with ham and fat free cheese. Am I so far on the right track??? For this diet, do I live off egg beaters and salad and some meat ( fish, etc) because that is all there is on the list?? What about milk?? If someone could help me out, i would appreciate it very much!!! Can I do a medifast shake with the lean and green diet or should I keep them seperate?

Thank you so much!!
    -Andrea
  • Andrea,
    Go to www.medifast1.com and you can download info about the diet. You only eat one lean and green a day and you should steer clear of fat free dressings because most of them have too many carbs. Download the diet info and it will give you a lot more detail. You should have your shake in between your meals- the idea is to have 6 small meals to keep your matabolism going. Go check and the website and then come back with your questions and I will check later tonight and tomorrow.
    Congrats on being a new mommy and good luck on the diet.
  • Quote: Bobbidoll,

If you want to make your own taco seasoning, it is a mixture of cumin, chili powder, oregano, red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Commercial kinds also put in sugar, salt, potato starch, dried milk and citric acid.
    So true,
    I made this last night and looked at the package and the second ingrediant in my taco seasoning is sugar. UGHHHHHHH
  • Andrea,

You can have your L & G anytime during the day. At least it's that way with the plan I'm on. (The 5 and 1) Five Medifast meals and one L & G. I choose to have mine for dinner, because if I eat it too soon it's really hard not to cheat later.

Mommyto4,

I know, they sneak that stuff in almost everything! It makes for reading a lot of labels. And I can't find sugar free yogurt anywhere. Do they actually make it?
  • hey all, thought i would share a recipe for lean and green I made tonight - salsa sloppy joe lettuce wraps - i posted it on my medifast blog, heres my post

Salsa Sloppy Joe Lettuce Wraps
    Sharing my recipe and how it's evolved over the years
    I have always been a sucker for sloppy joes... my mom used to make those manwich sandwiches with the canned sauce + ground beef on a bun.. not the healthiest choice but ohhh so yummy lol

so in an effort to make it healthier I learned of "salsa sloppy joes" which was basically lean ground turkey, brown sugar, tomato sauce, salsa, and mustard - which was actually REALLY good and really close to the taste of manwich which I loved! but I still used a bun!

I then tried making it even healthier by using big romaine lettuce leaves instead of a bun, after I had tried a different recipe "asian lettuce wraps"

So now - I bring to you my MF Lean and Green version of my beloved sloppy joe - the salsa sloppy joe lettuce wrap! I used half the package of ground turkey so it ended up being two servings - I divided the filling in half and put the leftovers in the fridge for tomorrow!

Salsa Sloppy Joe Lettuce Wraps
    MAKES TWO SERVINGS

10 oz 85% lean ground turkey (or 12 oz 95%-98% lean)
    1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
    3 tbsp hot sauce
    2 tbsp salsa
    1 cup diced red tomatoes
    1/2 cup diced red,green,yellow, or orange pepper
    6 large leaves of romaine lettuce

Brown turkey in skillet sprayed with cooking spray, drain. add diced tomatoes, hot sauce, salsa and mustard. Simmer on medium for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon turkey mixture into the center of lettuce leaves. Sprinkle the diced peppers on top. You can cook the peppers with the rest of the ingredients if you want, but I like the extra crunch they add on top! Enjoy!

- 1 serving lean, 3 servings green, 2 condiments*

1/4 tbsp mustard + 1.5 tbsp hot sauce = 1 condiment
    1 tbsp salsa = 1 condiment
  • Home Fries
    Home Fries
    1 c thin-sliced radishes
    1 T diced onion (omit unless you are on Maintenance)
    garlic powder, salt, pepper or spices to taste (I used a garlic clove & salt)

Just cook the radishes and onion in a pan sprayed with butter Pam on medium-high heat. They're done when they are translucent and the edges are brown.

OMG - they seriously tasted like fried potatoes! If my DH hadn't seen me cooking them, he would not have believed they were not potatoes.... I'm completely satisfied.
  • Cooked ahead of time chicken
    Cooked ahead of time chicken

Short Version
    • Oven 425
    • Put frozen chicken in oven in baking dish(es), single layer.
    • Wait 25 minutes
    • Slice up chicken and put back into wiped dish(es) with seasoning
    • Wait 20-30 minutes until cooked to 180 internal temp.
    • Weigh up in containers and put in fridge
    Detailed Version
    • I take a frozen bag of chicken breasts (no need to defrost).
    • Put the oven on 425
    • Put the chicken in baking dishes in a single layer.
    • Put the dishes in the oven for 25 minutes
    • No need to preheat... just set oven, stick in chicken, sit down for 25 minutes. It takes me three dishes for this part.
    • After 25 minutes, I take the dishes out and set them on the stove. I pile all the chicken in my smallest dish and wipe out the other two dishes. Defrosting makes a lot of water
    • I slice up all the chicken breasts (part will look cooked, some will be pink... (tell my tummy I can't steal a bite even if it smells good)
    • Put the slices back into the two wiped out dishes. Dump seasoning on them. Whatever sounds good. I have a chicken seasoning thing from Aldi that grinds the seasoning as it goes. I use that.
    • Stick it back in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until cooked to 180 degrees inside. Cooking time can vary based on how thick you cut your peices.
    • Then using my scale, I measure out 6 oz of chicken in each container and fridge it all up!

Add three greens and a fat, and it's a L&G meal!

The last 48oz bag of frozen chicken I made came out to 4.5 meals worth (plus an extra ounce I made the roomie eat!). Remember cooked chicken can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days tops. So, if you make the entire bag, that is your lean for the next several nights!
  • Tuna salad
    Tuna salad

7 oz of canned tuna (may take more then 1 can)
    1/2 c bell pepper (74.5 grams-orange/yellow make it really pretty)
    1/2 c celery (50g)
    1/2 Tbsp mayo (I use the olive oil based mayo)
    diced up dill pickle

This is 1 lean, 2 greens, 1 fat and a snack. You can skip the pickle if you don't want to spend the snack point.

Add one green and one fat and there is another L&G meal! (I use lettuce and black olives)
  • teriakki wok chicken
    I made a great one tonight...
    I cooked up some chicken breast and cut it into strips, then I threw that with broccoli and asparagus in a deep wok-ish pan and cooked it with teriakki and soy sauce. It was AMAZING.