need fictional weightloss novels

You're on Page 6 of 7
Go to
  • I've read Articokes Heart
    its such a cute book although it is teen read it just makes me laugh and is so cute because its something every girl wants for herself i defiantly recommend it.
  • I just happened to notice this thread - what a great idea, and I'll definitely be going back and reading some of these suggestions.

One that I didn't see mentioned was The Cinderella Pact by Sarah Strohmeyer. It was recently made into a Lifetime movie called Lying to be Perfect. You can read an excerpt from the book on the movie website

http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/lyi...a-pact-excerpt
  • What a great thread!

I read Jemima J, and I agree that it seemed unrealistic (in the fairy tale ending, particularly) but I did enjoy reading it.

I remember reading "Scruples" by Judith Krantz (hi, my name is CharlieBaby and I'm addicted to trashy chicklit) and the main character undergoes a serious weight transformation in the beginning. The entire book isn't about that, but I really liked that part of it.

And "Big Girl" is a new release by Danielle Steel - I haven't read it yet but the premise looks good (on amazon).
  • I'm reading "Such as a Pretty Fat" and it is hilarous!
  • I wanted to bump this thread. Read any good books to add to these lately? I NEED inspiration as I'm sure we all do.
  • 'Bridesmaid's Reward' by Liz Fielding is a favorite of mine. My local library has it in the large print section. Its published by Mills and Boon, and is set in England. Its about a overweight woman who's perfect moviestar sister {I'm not kidding} is getting married and Dodie is under orders from her Mom to drop some weight so she can be the perfect Maid of Honor. Its a romance but deals with issues such as emotional eating, lifestyle changes, and family issues.

I check it out and re-read it everytime I need a re-start or have hit a plateau.
  • Quote: Jennifer Weiner has alot out there that are good.
    I LOVE Jennifer Weiner!! I almost never go for the "beach read" type books, but hers are wonderful. I've read everything she's written — just finished "Best Friends Forever." They're not all about losing weight but the main characters always are heavier (or once-fat) women.

I'll also second "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. Beautiful book.
  • I don't know, I've generally found non-fiction and memoirs to be more compelling than fictional weight loss novels. The most recent one I read was Confessions of a Carb Queen by Susan Blech. I could not put it down.
  • I didn't even finish Jemima J because it was so poorly written.

As for Good in Bed, I absolutely loved the book, and then at the end after all of the walking she says to the doctor that she's finally thin! So I'm wondering how someone who was described as sooo overweight got so thin in so little time. And then she states that she lost something like 40 lbs. Perhaps it's because I started my journey with more than 100 lbs. to lose, but based on her descriptions of the character in the beginning, she just seemed way too heavy to be "thin" at a 40 lb. loss. So that disappointed me. I couldn't even finish the sequel, though. Boring.

She's Come Undone was well written, and I liked a lot about it, but it sure was a painful read.
  • I'm cheating a little bit here because these aren't fiction, but I really enjoyed I'm Not the New Me by Wendy McClure. INTNM is essentially a collection of personal essays and stories she compiled about her on-again, off-again weight loss struggles. Wendy is a contributor to BUST magazine and the Television Without Pity website, as well as her personal blog. Her writing style is really easygoing and her stories are SO easy to empathize with, like the one about getting stuck talking to a skeezy guy in a bar who tells her how attractive she'd be if she just lost a few pounds...something a lot of us can relate to, I'm sure! Plus it's pretty funny, to boot.

I've also heard good things about The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl, also originally based on a blog, but I've yet to read it. Too much school work is interfering with my treasured reading time!
  • I am currently reading secrets of a former fat girl by Lisa Delaney. It isn't fictional but it is written in a humorous way that doesn't make its seem like too serious of an autobiography. I have found it really motivational and relatable.
  • Awesome thread! After going through the posts I ran down to the libary and grabbed "She's Come Undone" - I remember seeing a copy when I was there on Friday and it was still there. I just started a book this morning so it will be a few days before I get to it, but I am looking forward to it.

I really enjoy Jennifer Weiner, Good in Bed was the first book I picked up by her. And I was so surprised when the main character was overweight - I have read more of her books since then and they have all been fantastic!
  • Water with Lemon by Zonya Foco & Stephen Moss was a good read!
  • Someone said earlier about paranormal romances, and the Sherrilyn Kenyon book...I'd like to second that! It's my favorite book by her, I love how the character is a bigger girl and her man loves her for it

Also, Heather Wells mysteries by Meg Cabot are great! They aren't about weight loss, but they are really funny and feature a character who is realistic about weight.
  • Quote: Someone said earlier about paranormal romances, and the Sherrilyn Kenyon book...I'd like to second that! It's my favorite book by her, I love how the character is a bigger girl and her man loves her for it

Also, Heather Wells mysteries by Meg Cabot are great! They aren't about weight loss, but they are really funny and feature a character who is realistic about weight.
    I LOVE the Heather Wells mysteries! Very enjoyable

ETA: Oops I realized this is in the Maintainers forum, I just saw it pop up on recent threads. sorry!