need fictional weightloss novels

You're on Page 4 of 7
Go to
  • I will also have to pick up a couple of these reads. They sound interesting.
  • Quote: Hi MrsDawsondn! I'm an avid reader too, so can't wait to hear what everyone recommends. Diary of a Fat Housewife is non-fiction and you said you're looking for ficton, but it's well worth the read. The only novels coming to my mind right now are Jemima J by Jane Green and Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner.

Do you have any recommendations for us?
    I read both of these books and they were great! I loved them both!
    Jennifer Weiner has alot out there that are good. I have only read the one by Jane Green and it was great!
  • Oops I just noticed the dates of these posts but I thought that it was a great thread and I am planning on getting alot of the books suggested.
    Thanks
  • Thanks for pulling up the thread - it's a good one. Anyone else have any book recommendations?
  • Conversations with the Fat Girl is good. I just read that recently and it was loads better than Jemima J or others.
  • Quote: Conversations with the Fat Girl is good. I just read that recently and it was loads better than Jemima J or others.
    Who wrote it?
  • liza palmer
  • Another good book
    I think someone mentioned this earlier, but said they hadn't read it yet - Losing It, by Jane Asher.

It's a good read. It has several interrelated plotlines, one of which is about a young (late teens from memory) British girl preparing for and going through RNY weightloss surgery, and her communications with her online weightloss buddy, who lives in America.

One word of caution - if you're the type of person to take all portrayals of overweight people personally and be insulted, maybe steer clear of this book. It's a very warts-and-all portrayal of the character, and while she has many positive qualities, she's by no means a lovely, perfect character who we'd all want to identify with. All the characters are like that to an extent, not just this girl, and for me this was a positive feature of the book - I liked the way the author took a group of not-totally-lovable characters and created her story so skilfully that I could still sympathise with them despite their faults.

** Biancaneve **
  • I just found this chick lit site that has a list of bigger girl fiction with many of the stories about the main character trying to lose weight. I hope this helps some of you.
    http://chicklitbooks.com/all/biggergirllit.php
  • Quote: I just found this chick lit site that has a list of bigger girl fiction with many of the stories about the main character trying to lose weight. I hope this helps some of you.
    http://chicklitbooks.com/all/biggergirllit.php
    Hey, thanks!
  • Water with Lemon
    Water with Lemon (WWL) by Zonya Foco, is AMAZING! Highly recommend it.
  • I don't know about weightloss fiction anymore. I read Jemima J and was really turned off by it. Not sure if I could venture out to the weightloss fiction arena anymore
  • I checked this out to read and after 7 chapters, realized I have read it before, but not sure when. But once she met the LA fitness guy online, I remembered definitely having read it - before it just sounded like any of the Shopaholic novels to me. But what specifically turned you off about it Nelie? I've been trying to figure out what, but can't put my finger on it just yet - maybe I haven't gotten to that part yet.
  • Fran,
    If you haven't finished or got further in the book then I really can't say
  • Hmm.......I'm only about 1/2 thru now. Is it:

* where she meets with her trainer who says, let's burn off this fat with some cardio first and then we'll start working with weights...... LOL - we LWL hate this idiocy!

* where she gets "obsessed" and starts skipping meals and surviving on lemon water bc she is so "motivated" HA! Like that will last long.

Am I close? I'm guessing that even tho this is bad it's something at the end of the book based on when you wrote it. I did read the epilogue already, is it that?