3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   The Maintenance Library (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/maintenance-library-169/)
-   -   50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/maintenance-library/248141-50-ways-soothe-yourself-without-food.html)

RedPanda 12-03-2011 09:47 PM

50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food

I was wondering if anyone has read this book?

The Amazon reviews are positive, and it's only $11.00, but I'm reluctant to buy it if it's stuff I've already figured out on my own.

TIA :)

ckatgo 12-04-2011 12:16 PM

I am interested in this too, I have been eyeballing it for a while....

3FCer344892 12-07-2011 01:47 AM

Maybe you should start by googling something like "ways to soothe yourself without using food" or something. In fact, I might just do that, myself. :)

RedPanda 12-07-2011 01:29 PM

Thanks for the replies. :)

I Googled "ways to soothe yourself without using food" and came up with several references to the book, including these excerpts from Oprah's site.

There's a lot of material there - not just about stress eating, but ways of destressing generally. My issues aren't only about stress eating, but dealing with stress at work. My boss is certifiably insane and in my more paranoid moments, I think he's trying to make me the same way. :devil:

I'll order the book, try working through some of the exercises and report back.

RedPanda 12-23-2011 12:54 AM

My copy arrived last night and I've read the first few chapters.

The book explains why some people eat to deal with stress and difficult emotions, asks you to identify your triggers, then takes you through different, healthy techniques to deal with stress.

It's a very easy-to-read book written in a non-judgmental tone and filled with lots of practical tools. Even though I only started reading it last night, I feel I've already gained new insights into how I can better manage stress.

ckatgo 12-27-2011 02:36 PM

NICE! Thanks for the update, I think I am going to have to go over to amazon and give it a whirl!

ncuneo 12-31-2011 09:29 AM

Just downloaded this to my kindle app and am excited to read it. I had a terrible binge last night, but the good news is identitified what I think is my primary trigger and it's not what I thought so now I hope I can address the real issue. Hope this book helps.

RedPanda 06-09-2012 04:30 PM

Bumping this thread...

Mr RedPanda says that since I read this book, I've been a lot calmer and more easy-going. :)

I plan to re-read it once a year, just to keep the principles in mind.

IsabellaOlivia 09-08-2012 12:27 PM

I'm a student and don't have the budget to buy books that aren't strictly needed for school. But I might pick it up if I see it in a library.

If money is tight, like it is for me, there is already a thousand web pages like Tumblr where you can get plenty of tips on methods to release stress when you feel a binge coming on.

LadyPetite 10-11-2013 09:17 PM

I read this book a few years ago and though I don't remember it that well, I seem to recall that it offers a lot of things you can do when the urge to give in to binging happens.

To be honest, it was a good read but I felt like it didn't help me that much. But your mileage may vary.

VioletDolphin83 10-20-2013 02:07 AM

I've got the book but haven't read it. Maybe I should because last night I ate a bit of extra chocolate in order soothe myself from stress.

seabiscuit 10-21-2013 10:29 PM

I saw this book on Amazon, it looks interesting but I tend to agree that if I can pick up these skills on my own, maybe I won't get it. I have a lot of books that sit on my bookshelves which I haven't read. I like how Amazon suggests books and items. Thanks for the reviews!