Welcome / Please Introduce Yourself!

You're on Page 10 of 15
Go to
  • I said Hi earlier, but I thought I'd add and official introduction. My story isn't awe inspiring or shocking. I don't even have any before and after pics. It's kind of dull actually. I was a skinny child, but put on weight in high school because working two jobs left me no time to be active or eat well. I gained more weight in college. At that time I was 5'6" and 155. After graduation my fiance and I split, I became unhappy and lost weight down to 135. I met my future husband and we married. I was happy so gained weight again. I was 140 when I became pg with my first dd. I was pretty much pg or breastfeeding for the next 14 years. One day last year I woke up and realized that my size 12 jeans were TIGHT, my 'baby' was two and my BMI had snuck out of the healthy range. I began eating well in April. I've taken things slowly and since September I have been at my goal weight. It took me six months to lose 20 pounds, but I've done it in a way I can stick to forever. I try to eat healthy foods, lots of fruits and veg, and eat as many 'superfoods' as my calorie allowance affords. The hard part will be keeping this up and not slipping into old habits. I'm hoping a forum of others in the same place will help me stay motivated.
  • Hello Everybody,
    I have been on numerous diets for over 1/2 of my life. I was a chubby kid, but I always played sports and worked out, so that has helped keep the pounds at bay. Most of the diets I was on were starvation diets, then I'd give up and gain the weight I lost over and over again, it was always real low calorie diets that I followed, but none of them worked LONGTERM, duh?

However, now that I am older and wiser, I wanted to become fit and fabulous before turning 40 & I have achieved that. I was never really fat per se, I have an athletes body and I carried my 170 pounds very well, as I am well proportioned and I am 5 feet 8.5 inches tall. But this time on my new healthkick for life plan, I wanted to be healthier for many years to come. So I began eating many of the good for you right foods, and never starved myself. I eat a lot of fiber, a lot of protein like chicken, egg whites, salmon, tuna and yogurts, plus tons of fruits and veggies or salads and whole grain bread and rounded each meal with some good fats like olives and almonds or ground flax. I still can not get myself to use olive oil- nope, I can't do it, way too many calories, I'd rather eat more food for those calories than drizzle on the good for you oil, but hey thats me I am sure others have a VISE too.....

I started this new weightloss lifestyle in January 2007 and I lost 25 pounds and I have been maintaining this loss (give or take a few pounds) for the past 6 months... I prefer weighing 144, but anything over 150 signals a red flag, so I drop back to watching what I eat until I reach goal again.

I work out religiously for 1.5 hrs a day either biking, walking, gliding, kickboxing etc. I also lift weights daily too. I am always challenging myself so it doesn't get old.

Healthy eating PLUS working out PLUS weights have made me FIT AS A FIDDLE. I wanted to take CONTROL of my weight yoyo-ing once and for all. I have a family history of not the best health, so I figured my odds of having troubles myself probably would develop if I didn't quit my starvation diets etc., because they never worked long term.

I am pretty confident and hope I did it right this time around, because I feel that I have gotten a better control of my life now by all of my new and healthy choices that I now incorporate, I am not PERFECT somedays of course, but I try my dardest most days to be! Infact, I still have some bad days and INDULDGE far too often in the foods I know I should not eat, but I am only human I suppose and I hope it gets easier the longer that I am maintaining my new figure.... Wish me luck, because with some more supporters I am CERTAIN I can do this for LIFE! By the way, I am not such an evil woman afterall, a name is just a name ya know....
  • Hello!! This is my first time in this website and I have to say that I love all of your stories. THey are very inspiring. THank you!!
  • Hello, everyone!

I am not new to weight loss. I've lost and gained many pounds over my lifetime--ever since I was in 5th grade and I am approaching the 5 decade mark in a few years. This time, though, I REALLY want to make it stay off. I have lost about 85 pounds in 10 months through LA weight loss and have been maintaining that loss for about a month and a half now. I'd like to lose another 5 lbs or so just to have a bit more cushion, but I don't want to go too low as I want to be able to "hold" the number, or close to it, on the scale, for life.

When I decided to lose weight, and pay someone to help me lose it, I never thought I'd lose it....not really. I had battled myself so many times and wasn't able to lose weight on my own. Yet, I worked very, very hard and here I am. I know I deserve this weight loss, but I want it to stay away and am focused on being overly watchful. I know what to eat, but, you know, I want to eat stuff like "normal" people eat--I want the fudge and the fried pork tenderloin sandwich with french fries (sorry if I'm making anyone else hungry). I have to come to terms with the idea that some foods are just not going to be a part of what I am now or will be in the future. I just keep wishing for what I can't have.

I try to exercise at least 4 days a week doing cardio of at least 30 minutes and then, if it's available, I attend an exercise class (like step or cardio mix). I also teach a water aerobics class 2 nights a week. I like the idea of working out about 1.5 hours a day 4 times a week, so I push myself to do that as much as I can.

With 6 weeks of stabilization under my belt, I am upset that I still feel as if I am on a diet. I am really watching what I eat--writing it down, weighing, etc--because I am totally scared that I will regain the weight. Perhaps others can relate to that huge fear of the scale jumping up to a number you don't want to see on it ever again?

On a good note, I am wearing really cute clothes now--I'm down about 5-6 sizes. I love clothes, I always have. It's just nice to be in a "normal" size. It's not super small, but it's so much better than where I was. I'm not ashamed to tell someone what I weigh or what size I am anymore though I think a 14-16 is still larger than what I'd like to be.

I guess I am looking to this group to help me talk through all my fears, to relate with, and to turn to with successes and with concerns. Although I know I'm thinner, I'm not 20 anymore and I don't look as good, body wise, as I'd hoped to. Things kind of sag a bit more than I'd envisioned. Can anyone else relate to that?

Well, guess I'll go ahead and read about you all.
  • Hi goalsuccess and

Congratulations on you weight loss! I think most of us here can relate to just about everything you posted.

I'm not very familiar with the LA Weight loss program, so I'm not sure how they ease you into maintenance. I'm sorry you still feel that you are "on a diet" and really want to eat normally, but I think you are going to want to revisit what "normal" really is. There just aren't many people who eat a steady diet of fudge and fried foods and stay at a normal weight. As an occasional treat, sure...if you can get back to healthy eating easily, but normal, healthy people just don't eat that way all the time.

Are you eating good healthy meals that satisfy you? If so, congratulations! you've found a lifestyle plan! If not, please explore the whole forum- there are so many different ways of eating to either lose or maintain (and both really come down to finding a sustainable way of eating), that somewhere between calorie counting, whole foods, LA Weight loss and all places between, there must be a way for you to enjoy your food and maintain your fantastic loss!

And congratulations on the exercise commitment Want to get smaller and be able to eat more? Pick up some weights

Again
  • Hello
    Hi, I'm very happy to have found this site, so I'd like to say thank you right away. I am on the verge of celebrating what in my family we call my "Second Chance birthday" on 12/16, and so it seems even more fitting that I am here now.

My story in short form: over the last 2 years I have lost 83 pounds. I was thin as a young person, and very athletic. Hoever, since I was so active, I didn't learn good eating habits; I needed every calorie plus some just to maintain my strength and I ate whatever I wanted. This habit continued even when my physical activity didn't, and over the next 30 years I put on a few pounds a year. They really added up (to 213 in 12/05). Over these years I got married, had a son, worked at different jobs, changed careers, etc. etc. etc. There was no time, so I said, or any willpower, to pay attention to my health.

In the last few years I have addressed many things in my life, and it became time to be realistic about this situation. I needed to lose weight for my health - I have a family history of diabetes and heart disease - and I finally found the determination to visit a nutritionist and exercise. I even joined a fitness club. I made small changes at first because that was all I could do. Results were slow, but positive. I began to believe that I could improve things.

Then, last December 2006, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. This news woke me up completely. I committed myself to losing enough weight to have a "normal" BMI (154 pounds) and to following a reduced carb diet as reccommended by my nutritionist. I exercised every day at the fitness center with a goal of working 500 calories each day (I even made a chart and gave myself a sticker every 500 calories I did. Sounds a little silly but it was very motivating.). I started off with swimming, my sport from childhood. I also walked miles and miles and miles. I really put time into learning about nutrition and what I needed to be doing in my particular situation.

I made my goal in May 2007. I knew, however, that because of my potential health issues I could not go back to my old ways, and I continued on my routine. I reminded myself of the health reasons when I became discouraged about giving up so many food related pleasures. As time passed I realized that I really enjoyed being in shape and that I looked forward to going to the fitness center. I found classes and exercises I liked to do and expanded the activities that I did (such as cardio kickboxing).

As far as food, I finally let go of trying to make my new requirements fit my old recipes and meal plans, and started over. I tried a lot of new foods (tofu, for instance!) and went from there. I am surprised how much I like vegetables and fruits now. And I finally accepted that my former ideas about portion size were way out of line!

I have lost another 24 pounds since 5/07 and I'm very happy where I am today. My goal is to stay under 140 pounds, and to keep my fasting glucose levels as low as possible (they are now 1 point into the normal range, so I have moved away from developing diabetes rather than rushing toward it as I was doing). I hope to maintain this improved health and I'm willing to work at it every day. I put my efforts to maintain it at the top of my list every day.

I am grateful for the support of my nutritionist and for all the information she gave me. And I am especially grateful for the support of my husband. We have done this weight loss journey together (he has lost 115 pounds).

I am very happy that I no longer feel apologetic about myself, my appearance, or my health. It's a great feeling to be "normal"!
  • Welcome, Pink! Congratulations on your weight loss and happy "Second Chance Birthday" (I love that!) a few days early. Kudos for taking charge of your health and turning that prediabetes around. My DS is diabetic, as is our NightengaleShane here in Maintainers, and they can assure you that it's not a disease you want to have. And tell your hubby that we're all proud of him too!

Take a look around Maintainers and see what interests you. Don't be shy about asking questions and starting new threads -- we love a good discussion! And please come join in our weekly chat thread. With the holidays breathing down our necks, we need all the mutual support that we can get.

We're glad you found us and are looking forward to getting to know you better!
  • Although I am no where near maintaining, I'll add my story here. My name is Okie and I am 24 years old. As a child, I was always a bit chubby. I didn't become truly fat until around puberty. At 12, I weighed more than my aunt with three kids did (sigh)! I went to Nigeria for two years and lost the weight. My mom ribbed me to death about my weight and that was a part of the reason I lost weight. I came back to the U.S. a healthy size 8-10. I kept the weight off for two years till a devastating event occurred. I was molested by my own father. He had also molested my sister. I went back to my old "friend", food, to numb the pain. I graduated high school at 5'6, 180lbs. In college, I packed on more than the freshman 15 and gained close to 100+ during my 3.5 years. I decided to lose weight in August 2004 'cause I was tired of being fat. I lost 80lbs in 5 months on the South Beach Diet. Although I was 200lbs, I felt good about where I was at and where I was going. Then came the diagnosis that I was schizo-affective. I gained the 100lbs I had lost and added nine more. I was hospitalized from December 2006-April 2007 due to my illness. I came back to 3FC not too long ago and I am determined to lose the weight since it's starting to affect my health (cholesterol problems). As we move forward into a New Year, I hope to lose a lot of weight, increase my self-confidence and find work. Hopefully, I'll be on my way to maintaining by this time next year.
  • This is definitely not the first time I have ever tried to get rid of this weight. I tried: Lean Cuisine dinners only, liquid diets(without medical supervision), Weight Watchers, Nutri-system, Atkins, starving myself, the list goes on.

I am still considered overweight for my height. That is okay with me. Do I want to weigh less? Sure, but I rather have my bodyfat be at a healthy % than have my pounds be okay and still not have my bodyfat under control.

My life has changed mostly because I have changed. I'm more self-confident. Most people looking in before would of thought I was confident but it was all an act. I now am genuinely happy and striving to be as healthy as possible.

Maintaining still means exercising and eating healthy. This seems to evolve on a daily basis. I have learned so much and continue to learn about nutrition and weight lifting.

My main concern is really getting the bodyfat down at a healthy level as stated above. I will never go back to the way I ate before. I may not eat the same next month as I am today. I hope I never stop learning. I have learned lots from my mistakes. I am stronger emotionally today as well as stronger physically than I think I have been my whole adult life.
  • I feel a little funny doing this, almost like a fake. I can't quite believe I am at the goal I thought was barely within reach. Now I'm going to continue on making adjustments toward maintenance (watching fat and fiber primarily, adding more grains and fruit) and let my body continue on until it reaches a new set point. So at maintenance and not at maintenance

* Is this the first time or one of many times that you've tried to lose weight?

I'm an expert at weight loss, at least I was before I turned 40!
    This time I've been really focused on maintaining. I picked a plan I could live with and have made decisions and choices based on my ability to stick with the changes long term.

* Are you where you want to be?

See above

* How has life changed for you since you've lost the weight?

I feel -so- much better than I did. I'm sleeping better. I have more energy. I can do things without getting winded. In the past there was a suspicion I was hypoglycemic - I think my body's reaction to only eating healthy carbs is connected to that. I feel great!

* Do you exercise regularly?

Yes! Right now I'm doing at least 3 miles cardio and 30 minutes of stretching/strengthening/PT a day. I had hoped to start the C25K program but my knees swelled almost immediately and my doctor says no running. I'm looking forward to hiking and getting my bike out once the snow is gone (at this rate it may be May!)

* Now that you're near or at your goal, what are your concerns?

Maintenance! I know a lot more than I did after past weight losses and my thinking and motivation are different, but I'm still afraid of losing ground. I'm reading Thin for Life (thanks for the tip!) and that is bolstering my confidence. I'm also counting on this forum to help. Don't know if I would have made it this far with this positive an attitude without 3FC.

And anything else that you might want to share with us!

I am a completely addicted birder and tend to mention birding all the time. I'll try not to put you all to sleep

thanks for being here!!
  • Cyndi and thanks for sharing your story! We're all looking forward to getting to know you better.
  • Quote: Tell us about yourself!
    • Is this the first time or one of many times that you've tried to lose weight?
    • Are you where you want to be?
    • How has life changed for you since you've lost the weight?
    • If you're maintaining, what's that like for you?
    • Do you exercise regularly?
    • Now that you're near or at your goal, what are your concerns?
    And anything else that you might want to share with us!
    Hello everyone, my name is Karla. I'm in my mid 30's, married to a wonderful man, no kids.

I'm making a commitment to change my life style. I've been counting calories since early this year and I've lost 25 lbs so far, I still have a long way to go, but my goal is two-fold, I want to lose more weight, but most important, I want to be able to maintain whatever weight loss I have.

I'm originally from Guatemala and moved to the US 15 yrs ago. People say I don't look Guatemalan, I'm tall and white as white can get, not your typical Guatemalan standard...lol. I've been told I speak English better than people who were born here. I do have a slight accent that comes out when I talk too fast or get too excited.

This isn't the 1st time I try to lose weight, I remember being on a diet at around 12 yrs old, maybe earlier. I was a normal looking child probably until I was 7 or 8 yrs old. At the time I moved to a bigger school that scared the lights out of me and caused me a lot of anxiety, I turned to food for comfort, and steadily gained weight. I was around 185 lbs before coming to the US, which was another source of anxiety and for the past 15 yrs I've been down and up with weight. About 6 yrs ago anxiety hit again and I started developing an eating disorder that brought my weight down to 155 lbs, I was barely eating. When the cause of anxiety subsided the weight came back on with a vengance, my highest weight has been 256 lbs, which is where I started this year.

The most difficult part of changing my life style is trying to incorporate exercise in my life. I will admit that I hate it. It's not that I hate all physical activities, I love hiking, would love to try rock climbing. But having an office job from 8-6 doesn't leave me much time for a work out and I'll be honest, I'm the queen of excuses when it comes to working out. I wished I liked it a little more, so that's an area of my life that still needs a lot of attention and work on my part.

The big slap for me came when I was out of a job early this year and was looking for options for health insurance. My husband got approved and I got declined b/c I was obese. I cried that day, and I kept the letter to remind me why I'm on this journey.

I'm very scared of weight loss failure, I've tried so many times before, I don't want this time to be like other times. This maintainers forum has been instrumental to my weight loss this time. I can find the support and wisdom I need to keep me going.

Thank you all for welcoming me here.
  • Hello All! I'm just now a maintainer and posted my Goal Story (link in signature) just last night. I am so happy to be here...although I imagine I'm going to go about 10lbs beyond my original goal and will be doing a lot of lifting and running thru maintenance to tone and strengthen to where I want to be. Glad to join all of you!
  • New to This and Not Really Sure Why I'm Here!
    This website really intrigues me. It's kind of a love-hate thing. I love the community aspect and I am hopeful to make many connections but all of the talk of losing weight is really starting to make me feel more self-conscious than I already was about my body and its size. Do I need to lose weight? Sure, I would love to be back to 110-115 like I was in high school (which was 9 years ago - I'm 27). Yes, I think that I'm carrying a little too much for my body frame (5'1" and I am 120 pounds - just look at my knees!). But, am I getting sucked into all the female body-hating stereotypes of popular culture by focusing on the numbers?

So, even though I guess in a perfect world I would be working towards losing these last 5-10 pounds, really I am the most fearful of gaining weight as I get older. I've been watching the 20-somethings and the featherlights for a few days and I'm really not finding a place to fit in. So I hope to find my support here in the Maintainer section of the community. The only thing is, I have never lost a huge amount of weight. I hit my lifetime high of 130 in college. I dumped the boyfriend and went off birth control pills and the extra weight went away.

I have a family history of diabetes on both my mom and dad's sides. There is a history of obesity on my mom's side, although everyone is a little chunky. My mom says that I will be more likely to not get diabetes if I keep my weight down. So that is my main goal. My mom got diabetes while I was in middle school which resulted in a candy-free household. I am so thankful for that! Although I can resist most sweets urges, in the end, we are both are chocoholics.

Then I remember how I grew up with two overweight parents who were too tired or too out of shape to participate in activities with me and really didn't even encourage me to get regular exercise. I do not want to be this type of parent for my future children! I finally figured it out for myself as I found my niche as a swimmer in high school which helped a lot with teen emotional traumas and weight management. Plus I had a really muscle toned body!

So what do you all think? Ya got a place for me here?
  • Quote:
    So what do you all think? Ya got a place for me here?

Yes, yes SURELY. Pull up a chair, stay awhile and get yourself comfy.

Really, I'm so glad you've joined us. I commend you for taking charge of your health/weight when you did, so that you never become obese and will hopefully avoid diabetes. If you want to lose those lbs some where down the road, well that's fine and if you don't that's fine too. You don't need to listen to anyone but yourself.

Your future children will be lucky to have a mom like you - with the right attitude about exercise and food.

I look forward to hearing lots more from you.