Maintainer Introductions our stories and photos

Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Default Keeping it off

I am almost at goal and beginning to think maintenance.I have found thru experience that I can lose but fail at maintaining. I am so happy when at goal then get complacent, lazy or careless and the weight creeps back.The starting weight on my ticker is a restart figure.My highest weight that I know of is 206, could have been more , I avoided scales at that time of my life. I want to stop this yoyo weight loss/weight gain for good.My maintenace plan is to weigh daily, it is so much easier to lose one pound than 50.I will try adding a few calories at a time until I find the place where I can have a healthy diet and not gain weight.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #2  
Meg

to Maintainers, Bargoo! And big congratulations on your weight loss. You've come way too far to let all that hard work go to waste!! So stick around with us and we won't let that happen. This is a wonderful group of people in all stages of weight loss with one overriding goal: to keep the weight off FOR LIFE.

You're certainly not the only one who does just fine at losing the weight but struggles with maintenance -- in fact, I'm sure it's happened to every one of us here in the past (like me ). The diet world wants us to believe that all the hard work is over once we reach goal and that somehow -- magically -- the weight will just stay off. All on its own. And then we're shocked when we get to goal and find out that we can't go back to "normal" eating.

I can tell you've put a lot of thought into your maintenance plan and it sounds perfect. But I hope you add posting here in Maintainers as another tool in your toolbox. We're all looking forward to getting to know you better.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey Bargoo congratulations to winning the short battle and welcome to the long war. You definitely sound like you have a great plan - daily weighing (go go accountability) and slowly adding calories. In some ways, maintenance is easier: you look good, you have better clothes (inspiration to stay slender), you have habits, recipes, favorite things to cook. In some ways, maintenance is harder - it is forever.

Glad to have you aboard the maintenance bus, just keep thinking LONG TERM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #4  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
... congratulations to winning the short battle and welcome to the long war ....
Hey Glory, I really like that! We should adopt it as the Maintainer's forum motto.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Meg and Glory thank you both for your words of encouragement.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi bargoo. Congratulations on a job VERY well done. Welcome to the world of maintenance!! I'm fairly new here myself. But I am settling in and getting a bit more used to it. I'm sure you'll do just the same as it sounds as if you've got things pretty much mapped out. I think the major key is that we must realize that we have to be just as vigilent during the looong maintenance process, as we were during the losing process. Once that is firmly implanted in our brains, and accepted, I really think longterm success is 100% doable.

I couldn't agree more about weighing everyday. I went almost 15 years without stepping on a scale prior to my weightloss journey. Now, I never intend to go a day without weighing. It's my reality check first thing in the morning. Keeps me aware and intune and makes me realize that whatever I put in my mouth has a consequence.

I look forward to spending many, many successful years with you in maintenance.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #7  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hello bargoo,
Welcome aboard, you have done great in your weightloss, I am sure you will do equally good in maintenance too. I am fairly new here as well, weighing in daily is a great idea, I do it myself to keep things in check and I scale back if needed and continue to rein it in on days I over induldge. But I am maintaning for going on 8 months, so I just take it day by day, some days I do great otherdays I could do better. Remember consistency rather than perfection. Congrats again.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Welcome bargoo!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote