3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions-79/)
-   -   Winter squash okay phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions/66288-winter-squash-okay-phase-1-a.html)

Taramoon 10-05-2005 07:02 AM

Winter squash okay phase 1

I had half a sqash yesterday, baked, and it was SO good that I can't beleive it is OP (Phase 1)!!! I think it is considered a "winter squash" or Kabocha. It is round, very thick skin, hollow cavity with pumkin-like seeds, skin is dark green and not edible. It is the size of a baby's head (sorry, couldn't think of another comparison) The taste reminded me of a sweet potato.

Is this veggie okay????? If so, I'll eat one daily!

lady_adnerb 10-26-2005 05:09 PM

If I read it correctly then as long as you don't exceed the 2 C of veggies it's permissable...but only a Cup worth. But I don't recognize the type of squash you're talking about. The summer squash is listed on the acceptable list...is it close to one of those?? Other squash I think have higher carb counts so you might want to watch that.

RobinW 10-26-2005 05:11 PM

yup, winter squash is fine. I eat the spaghetti squash quite a bit, which is also considered a winter squash.

Ruthxxx 10-26-2005 05:13 PM

Are we talking South Beach or Atkins here? "Phase I" threw me. If it's South Beach, that squash is not acceptable on Phase I although Spaghetti Squash is fine.

AprilN 10-26-2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taramoon
I think it is considered a "winter squash" or Kabocha. It is round, very thick skin, hollow cavity with pumkin-like seeds, skin is dark green and not edible.

I can't vouch for the OP status of your squash, but if you're talking about kabocha (click here for a picture), the skin IS definitely edible! I just had some last night in a soup... yum, extra fiber! You can remove the skin if you don't like the taste, but it doesn't really have a flavor different from the rest of the flesh (IMO) and adds a nice texture. YMMV!

sexyshoelady 10-26-2005 06:00 PM

What about butternut squash? is that ok? I used to slice them in half and bake then with lots of butter, salt and pepper and i would eat a whole half on my own - but havent ate it since going on atkins because its not in the book - do you think it would still be ok to eat half a squash if i kept my carbs really low for the rest of the day? :carrot:

Indiacatz 10-30-2005 08:45 AM

I seriously doubt if winter squash is phase 1.. however, I ate some yesterday too.. .It was yummy... I usually cut it up and mash it with brown sugar (splenda one) some cinnamon and smart bal margarine.. .I do know its very healthy food.. so go for it