Old 06-26-2005, 10:01 PM   #1  
Proud Canadian

Default Atkins and Alcohol

Hey Everyone

I'm new to Atkins (cause I've tried other things and this one will work I say!!). I've read the book from the library but I can't seem to find any real info on alcohol in the carb counting section. Does anyone know general counts or is it different for everything? I looked on a bottle of beer and there was no information listed and I have a camping trip in a couple of weeks that I'd like to be able to have a drink on without going off atkins.

Any other warnings about alcohol and Atkins?

Thanks
KT
Horsey girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:35 PM   #2  

Default alcohol

I actually bought a carb counter book that contains the carb counts of just about everything. It is a mini sized book, so it fits perfect in your purse. It was only like 5 dollars to.
Here is what is says:

12 oz beer- 12.5 digestible carbs
Light beer-4.6 carbs
non alcoholic beers- Odouls 15.0

Hope this helps!
mommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:33 PM   #3  
Proud Canadian

Hey Amanda

Thanks for the info - where did you get the book - sounds like something that would be handy...

KT
Horsey girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:10 PM   #4  

Default carb counter

I bought my carb book from hastings, but I have seen them at every book store I have been to. Also if you go to atkins.com they have a free download for the carb guide. You can also download it to your PDA.
mommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #5  
Baby Steps

I don't drink beer...but isn't there some out now that show the carb count right on the container. That way they claim "we're the lowest in carbs" to try and get people to buy it who are counting carbs???
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

oh...and if you like a specific beer, why not go to the website of the maker and send them an email asking them what the count is? We did that a few times and they're great about it.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:35 PM   #7  
low-carb forever!

S/C/G: 206/137/137

Height: 5'7"

I count 4 carbs for a glass of White Merlot (before bed every night). That's for a 7 oz. glass. Most wine "servings" are 3.5 oz, so that has to be taken into account. Wine and light beer are both low carb and can be drunk after Induction. No alcohol is allowed during Induction (lasts two weeks).

For beer carb counts I just go with what FitDay.com tells me when I select "lite beer."
FatVictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:37 PM   #8  
low-carb forever!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyx3
I actually bought a carb counter book that contains the carb counts of just about everything. It is a mini sized book, so it fits perfect in your purse. It was only like 5 dollars to.
Here is what is says:

12 oz beer- 12.5 digestible carbs
Light beer-4.6 carbs
non alcoholic beers- Odouls 15.0

Hope this helps!
I found mine a couple years ago at GNC and carry it everywhere with me. It's called something like "Dr. Atkins New Carbohydrate Gram Counter" or something like that.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:45 AM   #9  

Carb counts are different for every beer, depending on how they are made.
Trust me, if a beer doesn't tell you how many carbs are in there, you probably don't want it.
Mich Ultra is pretty low. 2-3 carbs. Regular beer has a LOT more, although Guinness I think has 12 and is one of the lower ones.
Stuff like rum and vodka is ok. Be careful of things like Kahlua or other liqueuers as they can be high in carbs. Da Vinci has some sugar free syrups as well as Torani that can be used in some things. There is a low carb mixer called Baja Bob's but I don't recall the carbs.
Sue L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:45 PM   #10  
low-carb forever!

Yeah, regular beer is bad news. Lite beer is okay. It's what I'd been drinking all along, so no adjustment on that going onto Atkins.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:13 AM   #11  
Woman on a mission

S/C/G: 200/200/130

There's always the ultra light beer..I think it's from Michelob..I forget.or maybe it's Miller's...I think there is virtually no carbs in it if you are looking for a beer.
tickleyourfancies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 156/156/128

Height: 5'3"

Michelob Ultra Light is really low in carbs...like they all said, just a little over 2 a bottle. If you are going for a light beer that still has taste I would go for Rolling Rock Green Light...a few more carbs, I think 4 per bottle. Budweiser Select I think is a 2 gram per bottle too.
aovercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 156/156/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh, and I was going to say...if you want to drink hard alcohol go with diet coke and rum or mix up some crystal light lemonade and add vodka. Hardly even any carbs at all!
aovercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 PM   #14  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

alcohol is one of the hardest things for me to stay away from. Ecspecially when I'm out and there are all those yummy choices available.

There are lots of sources online to look up carb count in drinks.

Mike's also has a 1 carb beer out now but it's not available anywhere around here yet so I don't know how it is

There's also a low carb kahlua recipe out there somewhere...made with vodka and a sugar free syrup..if I run across it again I will post it
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

I'm pretty sure Miller Lite has fewer carbs than any of the "low carb" beers. According to the Miller website, it has 3.2 grams of carbs and 96 calories. A lot of the brewers have their info on their websites. Plus, you don't have to do the diet song and dance- most bars and restaurants will have Miller products... unless you're in St. Louis! Cheers!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote