Old 07-03-2004, 12:22 AM   #1  

Default Newbie with an induction question

I have basically done sugar busters for several years but have decided to switch over to Atkins. I started induction Tuesday. I have not seen any weight loss yet. I know I am probably being impatient, but you hear about such rapid weight loss. I have about 25 lbs I would like to lose. I messed up and bought the Atkins for Life book, so I have been basically following the induction guidelines off the internet.
For the most part, this is what I have been eating
b: 2 eggs scrambled with either 2 or 3 pieces bacon, sometimes with cheese, green peppers and mushrooms added
l: leftover over homemade chili on top of romaine with tomatoes
d: baked chicken with mozzarella, zuchinni, squash, red/green peppers, mushrooms or sauteed spinach
snack: either cheese cubes (little ones) or celery with alouette veggie dip

am drinking a ton of water!

how does this look??
texannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #2  

Honest answer. I see a few boo boos. First , you really need the book, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. Follow induction by the book.
He only allows a small salad for the carbs during the first 2 weeks
The foods that you had could have alot more carbs than you think. The leftover chili.. did it contain beans? The peppers, and squash and the mushrooms all contain carbs. You are only to consume 20 gms or less for 2 weeks . No caffeine No aspartame. . Good luck! also, remember not everyone sees a huge loss during induction. I only lost 6 lbs my husband lost 11, Its not going to be the same for all. :wink: Linda
Virginia Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 01:35 PM   #3  

The website said that you could have 3 cups of salad or 2 cups of salad and one cup of veggies per day. No, the chili didn't have beans just ground beef, diced tomatoes and seasoning.
I put in yesterday's menu (not the chili days) and came to 24 carbs..looked like I had too much cheese.
Bummed I bought the wrong book! LOL
Old 07-04-2004, 08:09 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

My friend lost 70 lbs by just following the directions on the Atkins site, but I do agree, getting the book would really help you. Its in paper back and its only about 5 bucks, some times you can get them used, like in barnes & noble.

The chili has raised a flag w/me. Did you know that spices have carbs, I believe its 4 carbs per tablespoon and a tablespoon doesn't really go far when your making a batch of chili. Tomatoes I believe are after induction - if I can remember correctly, its been a year for me, so forgive me if I'm wrong. Peppers are high in carbs so also you have to watch your portions. This is all in the first two weeks, you can let up a bit after that, but just a bit. The veggie dip, store bought is usually 2 - 4 carbs some times more per two table spoons so depending on how much your eating this could be the problem.

So what I would recommend is you really measure measure measure for the first couple of weeks until you get used to eyeballing stuff. A digital scale is wonderful to have and not to expensive. The first couple of weeks is really critical because its a learning phase, you will make boo boo's this is very normal but your learning and poof within a few weeks you'll be a pro.

Don't get frustrated or give up please, you just need to learn and it does get easier w/time, promise !

Other than that it looks like you pretty much know what your doing, but feel free to ask questions, and alot of them, its the only way you will learn, the folks here can tell you from their mistakes and their victory's what works and what doesn't. There's a thread on the atkins board here's that answer alot of FAQ... if there's something you don't see, ask because the folks here will do all they can to help.

Hope to see you on the atkins daily boards.

Good Luck !!!

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:10 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh don't forget...coffee even decaf, cream, splenda packets all have carbs. Its amazing how fast they add up.

I am also going back on induction in a few days... I miss feeling good !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:53 AM   #6  

Thanks! I will get the book. Didn't try to get around buying it, just bought the wrong one! LOL
I will be more vigilant. I have been tracking at fitday.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:45 PM   #7  
Baby Steps

Tomatoes are allowed during induction. But you have to limit them as you only get 3 C (according to the book. I never paid attention to my lettuce intake) a day of veggies. The book DOES come in handy for a reference. Keep your chin up and did you take your measurements when you started? You may not have lost pounds but you may have lost in inches. You'll hear THAT a lot also.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #8  

Yeah, I lost inches before pounds. It's so important to follow induction BY THE LETTER if you waant the results you're looking for. Also start exercising at least 3 times a week for 15 minutes and increase from there.
Good_hair_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #9  

good luck on your weight loss
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tra...2/135/162/.png

Last edited by msmagee; 04-28-2005 at 09:54 AM.
msmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #10  

Hi,
I plan to start Atkins when I get my book I ordered off Amazon. I tried it successfully before I had my son, but since then, it has not worked. Mind you, I didn't try very hard for very long......was expecting the rapid weight loss "pre-baby".

I am 39 now, too which makes a difference.

Question: Where are the urine test strips available in Canada?

I had heard in the past that if you "messed up"; then you had to go back and get your body into ketosis, so basically it wasn't like a "one-day" screw-up, but a week long one while your body went back into ketosis. Is this true?

Have to get over this mindset that mayo, sour cream, butter etc is BAAD!!!!!
siouxzee2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:07 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to the 3FC website! There is lots of information and support here.

When I was on Atkins, I bought "Ketostix" in Shoppers Drugmart. I asked at the pharmacy counter for "urine testing" strips. They were a bit expensive so I cut them in half lengthwise.

I found that it took 3 to 4 days to get into ketosis after a screw up - not that I ever screwed up!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:20 AM   #12  

Talking

Thanks for the advice re. urine test strips - will try Shoppers. Any protein or meal replacement shakes/bars you would suggest - I have a toddler,so don't really have time for the omlette in the a.m.

I have just been having a protein shake with soy milk and berries (they'll have to go!) with a low carb protein powder.

Hope this works this time! Have tried EVERYTHING in the past 2 years since having my son. Go to the gym already 3x/week with weights and treadmill,but NOTHING seems to work!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/145/136

Height: 5' 6"

The real problem for beginners is the definition of "low carb" for companies and all other weight loss plans simply isn't anywhere near the definition of "low carb" for Atkins.
"20 carbs total" for induction does not allow ANY wiggle room. Everything adds up. Also, be very careful to only subtract fiber from the total. Many people (including myself) do react to sugar alcohols, etc.
Lisa LeapYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:19 AM   #14  

Thanks for your replies! Have been on Induction now for 3 weeks and lost about 3-5lbs. Not fabulous, but beats nothing!

I am careful about counting, even the salad and veggies, and NO low-carb/weight-loss products, not even the Atkins bars.

So,I seem to be sticking to the under 20 rule and also the Ketostix are turning colour, although can't seem to get a dark purple, butsomeone else on this board assured me that ketosis was ketosis, some would registers a darker colour than others.

Thanks for your help. Plan to stick with it for another week, then move up the carbs.