Turkey Bacon ... Friend or foe?

• Is it okay to eat turkey bacon on the Atkins plan? I hope so .. cause I am having it for breakfast!!!

thanks!!
  • Too late now! Was it tasty? I'm not an Atkins person but I'm sure it's OK.
  • There is no rule that you have to eat the highest fat meat you can find on Atkins. Carbs are really the only thing that matters and Turkey bacon is still 0 Carbs. My philosophy is that I eat what tastes good, and if there is no carb advantage to the extra fat, than why eat it. For instance, there is no difference in carbs between whole milk ricotta and part skim ricotta, so why eat the extra fat? On the other hand, there is a carb difference with mayo so I buy the real thing. Anyway, I haven't had turkey bacon because I was afraid it would taste terrible. How was it?
  • Thanks for the info! I like the Turkey Bacon! It is a different taste from normal bacon, but I enjoy it!
  • So I am guessing pork chops and sausages are okay as well on Atkins right? And what about salad dressings? Do I justr have the normal kind or low fat?
  • Pork chops and sausages are absolutely okay. As for salad dressings, you have to read the labels. Bleu cheese and ranch are usually your best bets but some of the vinagrette types are okay too. Usually, you are better off buying regular salad dressing. Make sure you read the ingredients to look for added sugar.
  • Watch out for fillers in sausages! Some of them have breadcrumbs or milk powder or other carbs!
  • Hey Dawn, I just had to say HI!!! I was born and raised in Soo, Ontario!!! I miss it there!

Good Luck on Atkins, you've found a great place for support.
  • Yuppers, turkey bacon is allowed. I buy Louis Rich brand and pop it in the nuker or toaster oven (with foil under it of course) here at work YUMMY!!! ENJOY
  • re
    atkins says something in his book about nitrates in meats it says they cause cancer so watch out for those i don't know if they do cause cancer does anyone else know anything about this?
  • jeannie o turkey bacon is what I eat. I do not do atkins though
  • Real bacon tastes so much better. Turkey bacon just isn't the same. Real bacon soaking in gooey eggs yolks...yum. Hard to believe I ate that and still lost weight.

The nitrates thing was too much trouble for me so I never bothered to get natural and anything without nitrates.
  • mmmmm....turkey bacon! It's very good and allowed.
  • i don't know if you guys on atkins consider the amount of calories you eat or not but
    turkey bacon has only 35 calories per slice