Is Atkins safe with high cholesterol

• I started on Atkins on the $th, so far I have lost 6 pounds, I feel great, but I need to lose 100 pound my blood pressure is border line high and my cholesterol is extremly hih, is this diet safe,eating all this fat it would seem not, but cutting down on the sugar and starch has made me feel good, any suggestions?
  • I understand that at first numbers may go up, but this is only n the short term. From what I have read many people with high cholesterol have had great success with Atkins. Some people do watch the "type" of fat they're eating, just in case.

See http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48 for more info.

Good luck!

Froufy
  • Not being a doctor and all...I had very high cholesterol too and after a month on the plan it is dropping rapidly and is very close to being perfect. And like Froufy said it did go up a bit at first but my doctor monitored me very closely and still does to be sure. I also eat a lot of poultry and limit my saturated fat intake to ensure no unnecessary stress on the body.

Tummy
  • I went from borderline high to absolutly perfect in a matter of a few months so it dies work.

And being in the medical profession I do understand the mechanisms that make it so.
  • Atkins would be the treatment for elevated chloesterol and triglycerides. Don't worry about saturated fat, eat all you like.
  • I had my total cholesterol checked yesterday. It was 221. Back in November 02 my total cholesterol was 247. Both tests were non-fasting. Next month I should be getting it checked at my well woman visit. I will get a complete breakout then. Our gym on post does free total cholesterol testing each month so I plan to try to check in on it once ever month or two.