Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 10:28 PM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Expected Weight Loss

Is there a general amount of weight loss that occurs during induction? For instance, the first week I lost 7 pounds. This week I lost 3. Does that mean next week I won't lose any? How do I keep the weight dropping off?
Old 01-18-2004, 05:40 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

That's a great loss for the first two weeks. The rate you lose depends on how much you need to lose and how many times you have dieted and gained. Keep the weight dropping off by being very slow to add more carbs - 5g per day is the recommendation, I think. Remember that a safe weightloss is 2 pounds or less per week.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:15 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

If I remember correctly I lost 11 the first week, 7 the second, and averaged about 2-2 1/2 a week after that. Keep doing what your doing, and keep track of your food, and you should be fine.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Yup the first 2 weeks is the big shocker, I believe I lost somewhere between 15-17lbs during my inital "induction." It all depends on your degree of metabolic resistance as the atkins theory goes. I found that the weight loss did slow down but I've never really been stuck for any period longer than 7 days. But Ruth is right, as she so often is, it all depends on so many different factors, the last 41 were new fat pounds, I'm now into the darn rooted fat that's been there for a few years so it has slowed down a bit more.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:33 PM   #5  
Head Princess

Yup! I lost 8 pounds the first week, 7 the second, 5 the third and then slowed down.

Keep in mind that the first week or two, you'll shed a good amount of water weight. When you get into burning fat, it's slower. The less you have to lose, the more difficult it can be to get the weight off, so keep that in mind.

Also, remember everyone has a different metabolic rate and that your weight loss will be effected by it. The good news is that building muscle by exercising will get that metabolism moving!

Stalls happen. Sometimes our bodies just need a chance to catch up. I've stalled for up to 3 weeks. Keep track of your measurements! Often, when the scale doesn't move, you'll see those inches going away.

There's lots of ways to measure your success - don't just depend on the scale
Old 01-19-2004, 07:48 PM   #6  
Baby Steps

I still can't understand how I can eat like I do (not stuffing myself-but being full) and still lose weight (at least, I HOPE I continue to lose).

And yes, I believe I should quit looking at the scale and continue looking at the measuring tape
Closed Thread