3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions-79/)
-   -   Sandwich bread substitutes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions/260345-sandwich-bread-substitutes.html)

simonsez 06-03-2012 01:40 PM

Sandwich bread substitutes

Other than Romaine lettuce? I'm tired of spreading stuff on romaine lettuce. I wonder if there are any other non bread things that you can spread things on.
Thanks

aka8941 06-03-2012 01:58 PM

no bread at all? if we're talking lower cal bread options there are plenty, like salad pockets, pita pockets, sandwich rounds, 40 cal bread slices. whole grains and nuts are things to look for.

oh just kidding you're on a low carb thread.
there is low carb bread you can bake yourself.

ghost 06-03-2012 02:42 PM

I.had to abandon the concept of the sandwich and just accept that was not going to happen in a low carb world. I put sandwich fixings on anything that will hold still now. Lettuce, celery, cucumber, portabello mushrooms (best burger bun on earth).

bargoo 06-03-2012 03:24 PM

I put it on a plate and eat the sandwich filling with a fork.

hatgirlie 06-03-2012 04:18 PM

Oh, I love the portabello mushroom idea!

simonsez 06-04-2012 04:47 PM

Thanks I found some recipes for low carb bread.

ValRock 06-04-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost (Post 4357559)
I.had to abandon the concept of the sandwich and just accept that was not going to happen in a low carb world. I put sandwich fixings on anything that will hold still now. Lettuce, celery, cucumber, portabello mushrooms (best burger bun on earth).

Same here! :carrot: Portabello mushrooms are SO good grilled with just about anything for a filling :).

JerseyGyrl 06-05-2012 05:44 AM

Oopsie Rolls:)

http://yourlighterside.com/gluten-fr...-oopsie-rolls/

peachiee77 06-05-2012 08:31 AM

I use rice paper - I can't eat wheat. The texture is a bit weird, but I like them. You can find them in the ethnic food section of a grocery store. You soak them in water to soften them and put your stuff in and ten roll up! This is good for fresh ingredients especially, but I've been doing spinach and egg wraps! YUMMM!

SugarRomeoTango4852 06-05-2012 08:41 AM

For non bread options, I don't have anything. However, I have discovered that I love making sandwiches on a 100 cal english muffin. It has fiber, fills me up and it just plain yummy.

hatgirlie 06-08-2012 01:04 PM

I'm definitely going to try the rice paper idea! Thanks!

TiffNeedsChange 06-25-2012 10:02 PM

Rice paper has lots of carbs, though. I may try oopsie rolls!

EricAnn 06-25-2012 10:26 PM

I second cucumbers... You can make different kinds of "baby" sandwiches that way... But I wouldn't do a PB and J on a cucumber (you can use an apple for this though!), hehe. Oh, you can also use your main meat ingredient as a kind of tortilla and just roll your ingredients up inside of it.

rebelchelle 08-21-2012 03:41 PM

I am doing low carb and I generally try and eat 30 grams of carbs or less...however, sometimes I might go a little over, but NEVER over 50 grams in a day...I have found my bread niche...their is a website called Netrition.com and they have Mama Lupe tortillas that are only 3 carbs per tortilla and they are absolutely delicious.....I use them for bread for sandwiches and this past weekend, I made me cheese/pepperoni pizza with them and it was the bomb...I found at Walmart their are similar tortillas called "Mission - carb balance (whole wheat) tortillas that are also 3 carbs per tortilla and a pack of 10 cost me $3.08...so, just some ideas for you :)

lmmuzquiz 01-03-2013 10:19 PM

I also use the low-carb tortillas as substitute bread; sometimes cut one tortilla in half is all I need. I also use them to make low carb pizza! Lots of things you can use these low carb tortillas for!! Yum!