3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions-79/)
-   -   Trying to Use Ketostix and Failing. Suggestions? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions/235400-trying-use-ketostix-failing-suggestions.html)

ariana 06-11-2011 11:37 PM

Trying to Use Ketostix and Failing. Suggestions?

My doctor recommended a very low carb diet to keep my blood sugar under control (I'm diabetic) and to lose weight. I am losing weight rapidly and wondering if I am in ketosis.

My mom did the Medifast(?) program and lost weight and had some leftover ketostix. There are no instructions other than a color chart and its been so long she said she forgot how to use them. They are not expired. But when I test my urine, the black area doesn't change color. A very small bit of color runs down the stick, but thats it. I'm wondering if they got damaged or if I am doing it wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

JohnP 06-12-2011 12:12 AM

Ketosticks are an unreliable way to tell if you are in ketosis or not.

The good news is ketosis has no effect on fat loss. Calories matter not ketosis. That's not to say ketosis has no benefit - it can enhance mood and energy levels.

Goodluck on your journey!

ariana 06-12-2011 01:57 AM

Thanks, JohnP!

I wanted to know if I was in ketosis because I am curious about the long term effects of a low carb diet. In other words, is it safe to be in ketosis for a long period of time? I'm having a fantastic week and I'd like to do this as long as safely possible. I'll ditch the stix and ask my doctor instead.

Thanks again! :)

JerseyGyrl 06-12-2011 06:40 AM

The ketostix never worked for me. I lost over 100 lbs (:carrot: Atkins!) and they never changed color at all.

JohnP 06-12-2011 12:18 PM

I am unaware of any negative health consequences to being in ketosis for an extended time. Certainly talk to your doctor to get his medical opinion.

Also - there is a book called "The Ketogenic diet" which has everything you ever wanted to know about low carb dieting. Unfortunately it isn't inexpensive.

ariana 06-12-2011 02:08 PM

JerseyGyrl, congratulations on losing 100 lbs! I can't wait to be able to say the same. :D

I did some digging online and found out that the testing area on the ketostix should not be black. The strips must have gotten damaged somehow. So much for that!

JohnP, thanks for the book recommendation. I'll check if the public library has it so I can see if I like it enough to buy it.

Woo! I'm feeling really motivated today. :) I'm excited for my weigh in tomorrow. :D :D :D

MiniMeee 06-13-2011 05:06 PM

ariana....I've lost over 60 lbs doing 50 carbs a day, checking my ketostix first thing in the morning for the first few months. Remember, any sugar in your system at all can skew the results. Also, I discovered that the less weight you have to lose, the harder it is to get any color on the stick. But the good news is, if you are low carbing, watching your portions, drinking enough water and exercising properly, you should be loosing even if the stick isn't changing colors.

ariana 06-13-2011 05:26 PM

Thanks, MiniMeee! :) I'm at about 50 carbs a day, sometimes as low as 40, sometimes 60. I think I am in ketosis because I have the strangest taste in my mouth and terrible breath. And I am definitely losing! :D Thanks for your help and congrats on losing 60 pounds!!! :)

Slow Weave 11-10-2011 04:34 PM

I would say that you have all the signs of being in Ketosis. Keeping your carbs at 40-60 should keep you losing. If you stay under 100 carbs you will be a lot healthier for it, especially when a vast amount of americans consume over 300 carbs a day. You are doing fine.