chinese food

• is chinese high in carbs i know some of the food is iam talking about hunan chicken know some of the vegtables are i can pick those out i woul like to know if the sauce is high in carbs
  • Well I know that many of the sauces are very high in sugar, and alarming levels of sodium. I would say to be safe do not eat chinese food. But if the particular sauce you are speaking of is not gloppy and does not taste sweet it might be ok.
  • Don't know if it's true for the restaurants you go to, but years ago when I worked in Chinese (Cantonese mostly) most of the stir fried stuff was made to order, and you can ask them to leave out things, cornstarch, msg. It's the fat (oil) it's cooked in combined with cornstarch that makes the saucy consistency, so sans cornstach there is no gravy like stuff, but it's still great tasting stuff, and I was skinner than ever eating huge plates of rice with it, but I was also a lot younger and had a very physical job and life.
  • Not really. Unless you eat the fried shrimp and rice. The dish itself is pretty ok, yes it has a little bit of corn starch but overall with the protein in it specially if you get broccoli beef or mushroom chicken you should be ok. I eat with no white carbs PERIOD except once a week or so, I regularly eat chinese takeout and I am still losing consistently. there is enough protein etc in the dish to make it relatively low carb in comparison. I just make sure I drink a little extra tea/water when I have it.
  • I too eat Chinese food - selectively - and have no problems. I look for the savory dishes like curry chicken and broccoli beef and stay away from anything in pink or reddish sauces or that is coated and deep fried. With take-out, I fix a small portion of Dreamfields angel hair pasta and mix it in with the Chinese for a lo-mein effect. This has yet to kick me out of ketosis.