New to low-carb

• I was hoping to get some low-carb info and tips without having to go out and buy a book that I will most likely not read.

How do you count the carbs exactly? Total cabrs, including sugar and fiber? Or do you have to subtract something? And what about good carbs like whole grains and such? And about how many carbs should I be eating a day if I'm going low carb?
  • There are many different low or reduced carb plans out there, all with different guiding principles and different recommendations, so there is no one way to go "low carb". Most of the answers to your questions (how to count the carbs, what to do about good carbs, how many carbs to eat in a day) are going to vary by plan. Most low carb plans also have different phases (Atkins has Induction, for example, and South Beach has "Phase 1"), and your answers would also depend on whether you planned to follow that phased approach.

I know you don't want to read a book, but honestly, it's the best way to get information about the different plans out there, the ideas they are based on, and what you need to do to follow them appropriately. Maybe your local library has a copy of one or more plan books? You could also read the FAQ sections here for the major low carb plans out there, get an idea of which you'd prefer to follow, then get the book for only that one, either at the library or at a bookstore.

Best of luck in whatever plan you choose!
  • Any idea which particular low carb program you were planning to do?
  • I'm not sure. Atkins looks okay. I'm just fearful of giving up the things I like, like the occassional sandwhich (whole grain bread) and my pasta (multi-grain/whole grain). I read the Atkins induction post, but it didn't mention sugars. Like some of the juices and teas I get at the co-op use cane sugar, sometimes organic and sometimes not. I really like these. I couldn't just drink plain water all day. But I'm also never sure how much is the cane sugar and how much is the natural fruit sugar. I think they need to start telling that on the label. Except in "no sugar added" juice. Then you know it's the natural fruit sugar. But anyway... Do you always stay on the 20g of carbs forever, or just at the beginning of the program? I may have to go to the library to see if they have a copy of the book...

Edit: Scratch that. South Beach seems nicer. I may not have to give up the stuff I like and I won't be severly limited.
  • Atkins is a 4 step plan...Induction, On Going Weight Loss, Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance. Induction is 20 carbs a day that lasts 2 weeks...although you can do it longer depending on how much you have to lose. On Going Weight Loss gives you more variety including fruit, seeds & nuts, a variety of cheeses etc. Whole grains are not added until pre-maintenance.

Sugar is a no-no on Atkins. The entire purpose of Induction is to rid your body of sugar addiction so...the fruit juice you mention would not be permitted.

If you are seriously considering Atkins...please get the book and read it.

All the best to you!!