Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 172/170/141

Height: 1.65 meter

My story - I lost a lot of weight 67 pounds in approx 2 years with Weigh Less a low fat, high fibre diet club. You have to weigh all your food and you have a formula that you must eat everything of every day (5 Carbs, 3 Proteïen, 3 veggies, 2 fruit, 2 fat, etc. etc.) My problem with this way of eating is that when I wake up in the morning the first thing on my mind and the last thing when I go to bed is what/when/how am I going to eat everything on my formula. FOOD RULED MY LIVE!!! After stopping the diet I gained 24 pounds in 5 months, so I decided to get my act together before I am back where I started. This time I decided to go the low carb way because after 2 weeks I feel free – cravings gone, no more hungry pains and food is the last thing on my mind!

I decided to go on the CA diet because it allows me 1 “Reward meal” that include a carb or two as long as it is part of a balanced meal and it is consumed within one hour, the other two meals should only be low carbs…

I hope I can achieve my goal weight with you guys supporting me because I cannot afford to gain everything back and I don’t want to start weighing my food again …….
SNOEKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

You are certainly welcome here.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:26 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 172/170/141

Height: 1.65 meter

Thanks Petra! What do you guys do about bad breath? Are we allowed to eat sugar free gum on a low carb diet?
SNOEKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Sugar free would be fine. Come join the chat.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Just to reiterate what everyone else has said...(only putting it in my own words...lol)

Low carb - from what I've read - is the ONLY way to go for people with Insulin Resistance. I have it as well (of course) - and I am still trying to really 'accept' that low-carb IS the way I have to go if i want to get back to my 'normal' weight of 160 (i'm 5'8") (right now i'm at 180 - down from 197 last year!) - and most of this recent weight loss of 17 was done (half-assed) on weight watcher's core program plus metformin. my doctor has upped my metformin from 2 to 4 pills a day now (2000 mg) and has told me - as she herself has IR - that honestly - the ONLY way for people with Insulin Resistance to lose weight IS low carb!

I've been trying - and I think i've been doing well - as the scale has been going down (verrrrrry slowly) - but i dunno - for me, it's so hard to accept that "low carb" IS the way to go - mainly cuz i lost 60 pounds on weight watchers points program (not low carb, just low portions) - and I have ALWAYS had this mental thing where I've always thought that low-carb = unhealthy - whereas now i'm learning that for ME - locarb IS healthy and IS the way to go...and that is what i'm having a hard to really wrapping my brain around and accepting and saying, "No, i shouldn't have that bread...if i want to continue losing weight, that is..."

But with my brain and thinking - it's been so 'ingrained' into my head that "low-calorie, low-fat" is the ONLY way to go (since that's pretty much weight watcher's thinking and that carbs aren't "bad") but that's just it...carbs really AREN'T "bad" - but they're NOT "good" either. low-calorie/low-fat normally means high carb. and even "good carbs" - whole grains, etc...while they ARE healthier than white flour, white rice, etc...we still can't have too MANY of them because - people with insulin resistance just turn carbs - any type - pretty much straight into fat, unless that energy is used asap after eating it. and i have a sit down desk job...i can't USE that energy asap. :-(

so the answer is YES. low carb DOES work for people with insulin resistance. To the original poster of this - I would suggest the book that I think someone else already mentioned - "The Insulin Resistance Diet" - I LOVE this book and it has SO much information that will help!

so yeah - that's just my $.02 on the whole thing...as i myself am trying to 'turn' into a low-carb lifestyle...

Last edited by Indychick829; 03-29-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

Hey, there IndyChick829 and Snoekie. Congrats on the weight loss so far. IndyChick, you should go look at Bluex's post in the thread "Not just vanity anymore, this is MY LIFE I am talking about." She's was on Metaformin for three years but she able to stop taking it this month.

I really understand the apprehension regarding leading a low carb lifestyle. It is extremely hard to change your paradigm after hearing for your entire life that fat is bad for you and low-fat, low-calorie is the only way to go. I would like to suggest you read a couple of other books. The first is Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taub. I haven't read this yet [I am #1 on the library wait list], but it comes highly recommended from the seasoned veterans of this forum. The author, Gary Taub, wrote that explosive article in the New York Times, "What If It's All Been A Big Fat Lie."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...54C0A9649C8B63

The second is Living The Low Carb Life by Jonny Bowden. This book actually explains the physiology of the low carb diet and may help you to think differently about low-carb. He also reviews and evaluates 14 different low carb diets. Therefore, you can get an idea which diet may work best for you and your lilfestyle and needs. You should be able to get these books from your local library. I'm going to get the book you suggested, The Insulin Resistance Diet.

Good luck with your weight loss and the medicine issue. Hope you can get off them soon.

Last edited by sylvia78; 03-31-2008 at 12:34 AM.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 AM   #22  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

SNOEKIE Hi and welome I have tried carb addictsdiet it was the first one and wel I ate for the full 60 min starting and ending with a carb. that did not last long It did not help. low carb all the way for me. It does work. I have lost much with low carb but you need to decide if it will work for you. I am now a full fledged diabetic. YUCK!! I was doing geat then went back to stuffing the face with any and all carbs I could find, and regained all i had lost and then some, that was 4 years ago I regained it all back and now I am diabetic. You can do it an go for it now before you get diabeties. Welcome
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote