Old 05-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #1  

Question Net Carb Question

I know how to figure out net carbs but does everyone do this right away? I've been doing low carb for almost 4 months and I still just eat what the package says for Carbs by it's self and I eat about 25-30 carbs a day.
I could eat a bunch more if I did use net carbs, I guess I just felt like it wouldn't work. I'm confused.
slimdownmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #2  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi , I do subtract the fiber, and keep my net carbs under 25, it works for me. You should do whatever works for you.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #3  

I basically use the regular carb count myself. I don't use many processed foods other than salad dressing. However, I think as I progress into OWL I will do the net carb count as the whole point is being able to eat more "normal" so to speak and maintain your loss.
Lovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Since the fiber is indigestible (no calories), why wouldn't you start right away?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:42 PM   #5  

I guess I just had in my head that you would count net carbs later on. I didn't know fiber is indigestible??
slimdownmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I deduct for fiber only. I've done this since day 1 of doing Atkins.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

some folks deduct sugar alcohol also. I have read that some folks find the sugar alcohol stalls them if they eat too much so they choose to deduct a portion of the sugar alcohol like 3/4 or 1/2 of it only. I think you have to find the info and figure out what's best for you. Some of the meal bars also deduct glycerin - I'm not sure if glycerin can stall you or not.

I do absolutely always deduct fiber. Most stuff high in fiber is pretty good for you anyway.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:19 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Kel View Post
- I'm not sure if glycerin can stall you or not.
Glycerin is a sugar alcohol and it has been known to stall people.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:03 PM   #9  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Just to throw in a slightly different point of view -- I'm diabetic.

Fibre has no impact on blood glucose levels (BGL) and therefore does not need to be counted when figuring your carb intake.

Sugar Alcohols do have varying degrees of impact on BGL (depending on the version involved) and need to be counted - on average - by half. Other artificial sweeteners are not entirely without BGL impact either, and for some super-sensitive people, can have negative effects, too. Splenda (for example) is considered calorie-free when used a teaspoon at a time -- it is actually about 1/2 carb, or 2 calories per tsp -- but if you are cooking with it, you should count it as 24 carbs (96 calories) per cup. Nothing is really "free", I guess However, when compared to sugar at 192 carbs (770 calories) per cup; it's a pretty good deal.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote