Old 05-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 369/298/145

Height: 5'1

Default Induction carb count & ketosis

I have a question about induction, is it safe to stay on induction carb counts, I am following low carb but not particularly any one plan, I do the bars & low carb mixes & sugar free stuff & i've been on it a month today & I just tested w/a ketosis strip & i'm 1 shade from the darkest which is in the large area. Is it safe to continue on or around 20 carbs per day indefinately & I do have supplements & vitamins so i'm not missing the important stuff..... but i'm totally clueless
AnnaHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

I thought it was no more than 50. I think I would be going crazy. Have you thought about optifast?

Last edited by staciec878; 05-13-2007 at 05:45 PM.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #3  

I have no clue about optifast i'm good on 20, no headaches, cravings or hunger issues, it's what works for me which is why I wanted to know if what I was doing was bad in terms of doing it long term cause i'm new to ALL of this.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

From what Ive heard and from experience on low carb diets. Once you start eating again you gain it all back plus some. Ive only lasted on low carb for probaly 2 days, but it was ****. and once I started eating I couldnt stop I didnt weigh myself, because my scale is stuck at 170, so its not accurate. But I just felt bigger.
Optifast is a medically suprervised liquid diet. Or even medifast.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #5  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Atkins Induction is 20gr carbs for 2 weeks then adding in 5gr at a time after induction. If its working for you thats great but most people have a hard time staying a that level indefinately. Also you should be getting most of your carbs from veggies. Congrats on the 8lbs. Good luck.

Staciec878, Low carb isn't for everyone however no matter what diet your on, if go off it and cant stop over-eating you will gain the weight back.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I will second that. Any diet will help you lose weight but once you lose the weight, you need to have a solid maintenance plan.

Anna, I think others have stayed on extremely low carb and done well, it just depends on your preference. Definitely make sure you are taking a vitamin supplement and I'd make sure you are eating veggies as well
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #7  

Thank ya'll, I was worried that maybe I shouldn't stay so low but I have so much to lose that I am now in a mindset that this is to be my way of life from now on, I threw all the "junk" out of my house, I even sold my current size "fat clothes on Ebay, i'm ready to do this, need to do this plus the benefits are I don't feel depressed all the time, I have more energy, my feet & knees are thanking me in many ways. Yes the grocery store is a challenge & sometimes cooking is too but i'm finding recipes & variations that suit both me & my family at dinnertime which is the meal we all share & there are so many low carb stores online that give me a great variety that i'm learning to live with this quite well & am content, yes it's just been a month but it seems to get easier every day.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:11 AM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I just recently celebrated 3 years on Atkins. I've basically stayed at Induction level carbs (20-25 a day) since day 1. My main source of carbs comes from veggies & salad.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #9  

Wow so your my living proof that i'm not hurting myself if I choose to stay at low level carbs. Can I ask why you stayed so low even after reaching your goal, my parents are on a 60 carb limit by their Dr/Nutritionist & i'm new to this i'm just wondering how would I figure out a maintenance level or is it just whatever works for me?

WTG on reaching your goal & maintaining it, I hope to someday too!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Thank you for your kind words. As I said, I've basically stayed at Induction level carbs (20-25). I have added low carb/low sugar yogurt & occasionally nuts. Mainly I try to concentrate on veggies & salad. I've never been bored with Induction foods. I never was a big fruit eater...even before Atkins so, I don't miss that. I am pretty hard core Atkins meaning I don't make exceptions for holidays or special occasions. I've been on Atkins over 3 years now and in that time, I haven't eaten any cake, cookies, candy..not to mention potatoes, bread, rice or pasta. My best advice is to make your weight loss plan a total lifestyle change. Its not a temporary fix you can go off of once the weight is lost. Thank you again. You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
Old 05-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #11  

Actually I don't really miss any of the naughty high carb things & am learning to adapt quite well to my limitations, when my family wants to eat out I am always on the internet pulling up nutrition charts for the restaurants so I can plan ahead on what I can eat so I don't bring them down w/searching the menu & asking questions...i'm really accepting this well even though I denied for years having a weight problem, funny thing about realization because with that comes acceptance, I haven't once thought about cheating & trust me my family have no qualms about eating the off limits stuff in front of me or asking me to stop at a drive thru....I can handle this because I no longer have the desire to chow down on it because I know that it'll be a set back, I hate detours!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 5'6"

question on this same topic for everyone...today is only my 3rd full day on atkins and i think im already in ketosis. i had to come from work early since i had a killer headache and was very dizzy. is this normal? is it normal to go into ketosis this early on?
niklwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #13  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Niklwis, You could be in ketosis already, stick with it and you will feel better soon. Remember to drink lots of water. Feel free to join our weekly chat. Good luck to you, let us know how it goes.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:20 AM   #14  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Hi all, I just found 3FC and have been on induction for 3-1/2 weeks now. I can say today is the first day I have been able to sustain any kind of physical activity. Kim, you are my new hero! I don't miss the carbs at all, I think I was really ready, plus I'm a dedicated carnivore anyway. I never tried Atkins before. I feel like I finally found something I can do for life. So glad to be here!
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #15  
Larry's Angel

Awww...thank you for your kind words! Stick with this...be persistant & determined...you CAN do this too!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim