Old 04-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #1  

Default Diabetics please answer

I had a headache the whole day yesterday on my first day of induction. This morning I got up and used my husbands glucometer and my blood sugar was 202. I did not eat hardly any carbs yesterday other than allowed (lettuce). No hidden carbs I assure you. Is it normal for the start of Induction if you are diabetic for it to rise like this? Thanks
Lovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Would you be willing to post a menu of what exactly you're eating?
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #3  

Ok, here it is:

Breakfast: 2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon fried in cooking spray

Snack: piece of cheese

Lunch: Salad: lettuce, mozzarella cheese, ham, oil, vinegar and some italian seasoning

Snack: some pork rinds, maybe one serving (not my fav food)

Dinner: 2 hotdogs, salad as above minus the ham.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #4  

I wonder if it is just stressful for my body to not have any carbs, part of the adjustment of detoxing making my body stressed. Usually the highest I have ever been in the morning is 140 blood sugar and that has been after a bad carb evening.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #5  

Oh also, the italian seasoning has no sugar in it of any kind, just herbs that are on the list.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #6  

I also drank almost a gallon of water yesterday and walked my dog for 8 blocks.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Atkins Induction is 20 carbs per day with 12-15 of those carbs coming from salad & vegetables. By the looks of your menu, you aren't eating enough. You might also want to stay away from the hot dogs since they are processed & could possibly contain sugar.

Hope this helps!

All the best to you!!

Kim
Old 04-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #8  

Thanks Jerseygyrl!! Is there threads on here that show a typical day on Adkins induction?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #9  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I'm a long-time Diabetic but not familiar with Atkins (well, the really old version, but not the newer, better, healthier one).

Have you discussed your diet plans with your endocrinologist? Are you taking meds of any kind for your diabetes . . . because usually the dosages are based on a more balanced level of carb intake . . . at least 40% of net calories. You should discuss the situation with your doctor or Diabetes Educator.

Good luck . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemylife View Post
Thanks Jerseygyrl!! Is there threads on here that show a typical day on Adkins induction?
There are sample Induction menu's on the Atkins website however, I wouldn't recommend following them. Since Dr. Atkins death, "Atkins Nutritionals" has taken over and since they are a company interested in making money..lets just say a lot has changed! They tell you its ok to have Atkins bars, shakes, bread, tortilla's etc. on Induction Do NOT believe it! Your best bet is to read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (the 2002 or before version because the "newer" books promote eating the Atkins products).

I'm on Atkins 3 years & have basically stayed at Induction level carbs with a few tweaks (low carb/low sugar yogurt & occasionally nuts). I keep my carbs between 20-30 per day. A typical day looks like this:

Breakfast: Hard boiled egg, 2 links of sausage or 3 slices of bacon, 4 oz. cup Dannon Light & Fit low carb/low sugar vanilla cream yogurt (this is sweetened with Splenda), a cup of herbal tea with 1 packet Splenda & 1 Tbsp heavy cream

Lunch: Salad (romaine lettuce), approx. 1 oz shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese, cold cooked green beans, cold cooked broccoli florets, tuna salad (made with white albacore tuna packed in water, Mrs Dash onion & herb seasoning, Old Bay seasoning, Mt Olive sweet relish sweetened with Splenda, Hellmann's mayo) or strips of grilled chicken breast, 2 Tbsp Ranch dressing (2 carbs for 2 Tbsp)

Dinner: Chicken, Fish, Pork or Beef and some type of veggie (usually green beans, broccoli, spinach, brussel sprouts, zucchini sauteed in olve oil & butter with roasted red pepper & garlic)

I drink a lot of water..usually 128 oz a day. I take a good multivitamin & 5000 mcg a day of Biotin. My main form of exercise is walking.

I hope this helps!

All the best to you!!

Kim
Old 04-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #11  

Thanks so much jerseygyrl. Also, you may be interested in going to Foodnetwork.com and looking up Barefoot Contessa's recipe for roasted asparagus--totally adkins and sounds great. I know I am making it for my hubby. Also, the old bay sounds great, we use it on alot of our foods. I love to make a rotiserrie chicken with it. Also, I haven't been able to find the pickle relish here, but used a couple of jerkins and processed them into relish for my hubbies deviled eggs (he insisted on relish in them).

I feel better today. I am going to buy ketostix today to see if on day 3 I am into ketosis yet. I personally like this diet. I have always eaten green veggies, just ate starches with them and other processed junk. Oh well, we will see. I plan to stick with this.