Old 10-24-2004, 05:51 PM   #1  

Default Low Carb Chickie Chat 10/24 - 10/31

Happy Sunday!

Sunny and fresh out this nice fall day. We've have rain off/on for the last week or so - it's nice to see the sun. I need to do some pick up, etc. outside to get ready for the next storm (ya, I know, we don't REALLY have storms here in the Sacramento valley - but they are BIG to us! lol)

Dottie - I'm sorry that your having a bad time right now. IMO, your hubby should be doing more to help in the situation rather than the brunt of it falling on your shoulders. Even if it is just for him to figure out what he and his mom want to eat and then go pick it up or shop for it, etc. You need to worry about your food only because that is what helps you feel 'in control'. Maybe you could make them batches of spagetti sauce or lazangua (sp) whatever on the weekend and they could eat on it most of the week.

Meowna - Glad to hear you are settling in.

Hello to Ruthie (and the dogger babies!), L, Linda, Janice, Virginia Lady and anyone else I forgot.

Gotta run since I've not gotten much laundry done today due to running around (dropped my cell phone at the mexican rest. last night before I took Melis to the train station - she came in to see The Grudge with us - and they called at 11 p.m. saying they found it so I had to pick it up) Have a great day all.

Kel
Old 10-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Hi Kel,
happy weekend to you too!
Dottie I am with kel, DH needs to pitch in a little and you might have to tellhim how if he does not relize how stressed out you are becoming....

We had a drizzly day but I still went out and walked. I dis about 6 miles this morning and after a perticularly fat/caloric luncheon I put my sneakers back on for another 2.5. i must be crazy but give me a good audio beek and I could go for hours! It seems the potty is the motivating factir for getting back home! I am lucky, most of out side streets and roads have sidewalks to make it really easy and the bonus is that it is flat

So a sort of busy week. i have a meeting plan to put together for a presentation next week. It should be fine but I am still stressing. The stay at home mom/ non business person says HOLLY COW!!!!

Ok off to watch the sox again... to all my chickie friends
be well,
-L
Old 10-25-2004, 06:46 AM   #3  

morning all-

feeling a bit better today, I must have scared DH cause he spent the day yesterday washing dishes and taking garbage out, and painted some trim upstairs. I guess he got the point. haha :LOL:

Kel, my food had to improve- I was feeling crappy from eating junk, but to cook what I want was getting lost. So I did a big grocery shopping for things DH can do for himself(veggie burgers, turkey burgers) and what MIL asks for(canned soup and pudding and ritz crackers). But for me I got lots of good LC + more protein stuff I LIKE> cottage cheese, provolone cheese, chicken thighs, salad, tomatoes, spinach.
I will have abetter week this week.

Had DN over Sat night for chinese food dinner(babysitting) and she and I played computer games and watched a movie. that was fun. They have 2 little spaniels that are so cute and are really lap dogs, they will do anything to be curled up on your lap, or spread across your legs if you're lying down. It's too funny.

Today should be quiet at work...I have 2 people that were away coming back tomorrow, and that helps. we have a big audit in 3 weeks that we're preparing for.

That's it for me. Looking for a time to take a walk, maybe after work. kel and L, thanks for the support, you both hit it right- and I think DH knows. I have to take myself OUT more often and just be GONE!

have a good one, hi Kandace, VaLady, Linda, Sono, Meowna, Ruth, Leenie, anyone else?
dottie
Old 10-25-2004, 11:52 AM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Happy monday.
We have been without sun for a week now and I NEED the sun! It promisses to com out later this week.

I went for a LONG walk this morning. I am going to have to go out and clock it with the car. it is cool and plesent to walk and I am listening to "the big bad wolf" by James patterson. Just an our left to go and then I have to fing another book...any suggestions? I like romance, Mystery, humor,court room...almost anything but horror....

The kids are doing well and have settled into the school routine. It is a busy schedual and I know it is a lot of effort for the kids as well as myself. When did I become a suburban soccer mom?

So i am hanging low today, getting a little bit of computer work done and working on my presentation, but procrastonation brings me here

How are you lurkers doing? I miss how busy this place use to be. I miss sono, Linda BC, pookie, Peach, Debkay....all the old regulars. I don't care if you are on or off plan, just come in and say hello..PLEASE?

Ok back to work, good to see you meona, Dottie, kel, Ruth....
-L
Old 10-25-2004, 12:20 PM   #5  

L, I just listened to Bill Bryson,"A Walk in the Woods" about his adventures on the Appalachian Trail. Funny and informative.
Another recent one was "a Venetian Affair" can't remember the writer, but it was the true story of a 18th century relationship from letters found recently, I think it was printed in the New Yorker last year? Anyhow, that was good, but long...might be just what you need.
"Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime"
"Secret Life of Bees"
I liked a Barbara Kingsolver last year but forgot the name.
Also an older book from the author of A Pilots Wife? what's her name...Anita Shreeve. Beachglass or something like that.

I started Ann Tyler's, "When We Were Grown-ups" or something like that today, I'm not sure about it yet.

Well, time for lunch. I made tuna and a big green salad, and I'm going to get some fruit for later.

Kandace, I make pancakes for me a couple of ways. Right now I'm not being too strict, so I take the Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat pancake mix, add uncooked oatmeal, soy flour, an extra egg and some cottage cheese or ricotta to it- still has carbs but it's higher in protein.
You can also make a pancake that is more low carb but sort of crepe-ish. Take 1 egg, whisk in around 2 tablespoons or so of soy flour, some ricotta cheese or cottage cheese If you can afford the carbs of even a spoonful of whole wheat flour, you'll get a better texture...I just have experimented, they come out kind of egg-y, but good when you're desperate. SF syrup, but you can have butter and that helps!

have a good one!

dottie
agreeing with L that you lurking ones should say hi!

Last edited by dottie j; 10-25-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:27 PM   #6  
Owned by Dixie

thanks Dottie!
I have back when we were gorownups and have not been able to get past the first 30 min. Maybe the key is to just put it on and walk!

Let me know what you think and maybe I will give it another try.

I have recently finishe "lost light" and the Narrows by Micheal conolly, Part of a larger serises I am told but I enjoyed both of them. I also listened to skinny dip which was funny but I think you could do just as well with the abridged version. I will look into the others. I am waiting for MIL to buy something. We do the online books at Audible and in 6 months she has not used a single credit...She has been mooching off me which is fine but she should also be purchasing! OK back to work, enjoy your lunch.
-L
Hi Kandaice, I forgot in my erlier post
Old 10-26-2004, 08:30 AM   #7  

dottie- sounds good- may have to try them. I'm getting really tired of eating "good" meals. while I'm not really craving anything- I want to eat "just because".

I read a walk in the woods by Bill Bryson. I know it's about the Applachian trail- but wasn't some of it set in Maine- where the trail starts/ ends? I just got finished a book about Marty on the mountain (Martin Engstrom). there was an old man that used to do weather for Channel 8 - ABC- from MT. Washington in NH. When I last visited my parents they gave it to me to read. they had it signed by him since we have a condo in the summer up there and I guess he was in town signing books.

weigh in today! supposed to wait until the 28th to get measured but I think that when I get weighed I'll just ask them to measure me too. keeping my fingers crossed. I'll post this afternoon if I get a chance

Hi everyone! (that way I don't leave anyone out!)
Old 10-26-2004, 09:03 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

My eating has been screwy lately and the scale is showing it! I am seriously considering a stint with Atkins again to see if I can knock off some fluff. The raspberries are finished now so that should make it easier! My breakfast today was a serving of leftover cold lasagna followed by two Rice Krispie Marshmallow Squares. That is truly pathetic!

Today I have a "decorator" coming to give me ideas for "window treatments" in the dining and living rooms. What the heck ever happened to shades and drapes and curtains? It seems to me every window I see these days is covered with at least three different layers. I know her advice will be expensive but do hope to have my windows "treated" before Christmas. When I had the windows replaced in July, I ditched the old curtains so I wouldn't be tempted to keep them. I actually like the look of bare windows but it's a bit inhibiting to have the neighbours watching me dance naked!

Lucy's puppies are at the adorable ball of fluff stage and Hershey's are just two weeks behind! Sequential cuteness! Lucy's brood are now on puppy food and her milk is drying up. She comes home tomorrow so my life will be partly back to normal. I must admit I am very lonely without my two Girls. Harry has absolutely no conversation since his stroke and I miss his old wit and humour. I guess I'm grieving the part of him that is gone.

Re Books: I've never done books on tape but have read a few really great ones lately: The Lovely Bones, The Life of Pi and The Navigator of New York. Somehow, listening to tapes while I walk my dogs seems anti-social! Like they care! Maybe I could get them little headphones?

Anyhow, hi and a wave to everyone. I'll try to get in more often but I am struggling to learn my lines for the play which opens November 12th. It's much easier to learn lines if you've written the script yourself!

Old 10-26-2004, 03:37 PM   #9  

just a quick one- got weighed and measured.... lost 11.5 lbs this month (4.5 lbs this week) and 10 inches (too bad it always has to come from the bust first! I have plenty other places I'd love to lose it from!) YAY me!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:53 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'd love to lose from my boobs!
~~~~~~~~~~~dashing off to plant daffies around the Village ~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 10-27-2004, 09:31 AM   #11  
Owned by Dixie

Morning!
Did an hour on the eliptical and I will go for a walk while the kids are at karate....
I have to work this afternoon and i am playing with the new auction program. I think I know enough to put together a mock auction form start to finish, but we will see

I too wish I could loose from the chest a little, I do loose evenly and large or small i am prportioned.

Ok here is a question...has anyone seen "the biggest looser" and what kinds of things run through your head about this show..

off to the shower to get to work...
-L
Old 10-27-2004, 10:23 AM   #12  

I want it gone from my hips- I would be a size 11/12 (down from a size 16 when I started exercising) if it weren't for my hips! (but I get them from my mom, and g-ma, and great g-ma...)

I lose it from my top first- arms, waist, abs, bust... I guess I need to start adding a walk with my workout to get my legs and hips down.

I'm watching the Biggest Loser. I have a couple problems with the show- the red team, the trainer, I think they team will come to hate exercise and relate all exercise as military style. Not a good way to start a healthy weight loss and a lifetime of exercising, IMO. and they might be showing them, but not on the show, what things to eat. they just let them guess- throw all this food at them. Moe is eating lots of bacon and beef, but that's ok if they're on the high protein, low carb (The blue team is right?) and everyone is giving him crap about eating.
I don't think they're educating them enough about the weight loss. Your first week is all water weight and you're not going to see the results like that week after week. I lost 5 lbs the first week I started and then 2 the following week (and then 4.5 last week).

I don't like the way that they get voted off- both the young girls, they didn't have much to lose, but still, they're there trying to accomplish the same thing as everyone else. I realize it's a game show and the winners are the people who lost the most weight, and fine, it makes sense to vote off the people that won't contribute, but still seems mean.

I'm glad they have the support of a team to lose weight, but the show is creating very unrealistic expectations for the normal person watching the show, who wants/ needs to lose weight I think.

who else is watching it? L, what do you think of it?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:56 PM   #13  
Owned by Dixie

Well Kandice,
I have mixed feelings about the show. On the one hand I identified with the 2 women who were kicked off. Both are in my weight range although I am in better shape, litteraly and figuratively (sp) So I was dissapointed to see them go but happy that they took the chance.

I think that both of the women could have lost a lot of weight in the time frame and could have surpassed the man not doing much work.

I agree that there is very little education coming across the airwaves. all we see is them working out all day long and being tempted by food. i think that the red trainer is leading these guys to failure. There is no one who could keep up with what they are doing. Nor id it a lifesyle change, but it is certainly a jump atart to a new lifestyle.

The weigh loss or lack there of was not suprising to me or any other life long dieter and was saddened to see them so dissapointed.

The good points? I am not sure there is one....this is not something that anyone in tv couch potato land could follow and or be motivated by. The contestants just don't seem happy.

I am not sure if I will continue to watch but the tivo has for sure change the things I am willing to watch without comercials.

Ps I think Caroline rea should be in the gym with those guys!

Anyone else?
-L
Old 10-27-2004, 07:57 PM   #14  
Mommy x 4

S/C/G: 230/160/150

Hi! Had a good day today, ate well, ate healthy, was active. I even ran down 3 flights of stairs TWICE! HA. Washed my car, and steamcleaned the inside of it, and now it no longer resembles a pigmobile! I too watched the Loser show, I thought it was a hard challenge, but one of the better reality shows I have seen.

As far as loosing boobs, STOP THAT, some of us don't have much to lose. Ha. I have shrunk from a healthy D cup to a C that would prob fill a b cup better. I have lost to date 73 lbs, so body shape has changed, my pants now slip off done up, I just bought them 3 mos ago. I need to start some pilates to shape me bum and perk up the twins. Hope that works.

Kandice; WAY TO GO on ur weight loss, feels great don't it! I am a little hippy here too, my Dad used to say I had a bum like a tame bumble bee, that was back in the day that I had a bum, now it is sliding off, nothing that exercise won't help tho.

We could always join Ruthy in her nekkid dance, no sir I don't juggle, but I sure can jiggle. HA Can we join u Ruthy? LOL

Have a great evening all
Old 10-28-2004, 12:39 PM   #15  

Kandace, great job! You must be so happy-you've been working hard, it's great to get the scale to go along with you!

Hi L, I keep thinking that about Caroline Rea also, she could be the star member of one of the teams! I have to say, I was sort of relieved that they didn't loose so much this week after the huge losses the first week. It has to normalize some, and they were all in such bad shape that they must be building muscle as well. That first week was almost unreal.

I have been trying to do a more balanced meal thing, 15 or so grams carb at a time, but I fall apart easily. I don't get a good breakfast in then I'm hungry and eat too much at lunch then I'm tired and eat cookies in the afternoon. Then too much of a crappy dinner and some snack food junk at night. I have one good meal and one baad meal. Or a good day followed by a bad day...

and speaking of reality shows, tonight is Survivor, my personal favorite. It is like my secret vice, I go off alone and watch and don't admit it to anyone!

That's enough...I had cottage cheese and fresh pineapple for lunch, good but I'm still hungry. Maybe I'll have some carrot sticks and cheese when I get home. Part of the food problem is what Mom's go through...I buy a food for MIL and then she either rejects it or won't finish it and I eat it so it won't go to waste. I have to get over this!

that's it, have a good one,
dottie