Old 07-27-2004, 07:28 PM   #16  

I'm with Kel, and I'll have another daquori please!
Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #17  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Morning

Linda, what is that diet all about except protein? what are you allowed to have. I'm sick of diets, really, fedup, fineee' DONE! Got on the scale after 1 week of trying and NOTHING~ nothing I tell you. So to celebrate my wonderful weight loss, I got myself a donut this morning with a side order of chips... no lie! Talk about a major let down. To me 1 lb is better than nothing, I'm not asking for 10 lbs, but 1 for crying out loud. BAH-HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SASSSAFRASSS! Okay vent over

Whats shakin w/you chickies ?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:26 PM   #18  

Hi ladies, Seems like a common thread here is weight gain, or lack of loss, so I guess I will jump in. I just got back from my trip to Chicago, visiting with my daughter. I went totally off Low carb the entire trip,. managed to gain 4 lbs in 4 days. . Is that even humanly possible?
I still swear by Curves, I have lost a bunch of inches and kept my weight reasonable since the start. My highest wt. 205 was in 1999, before I very first did Atkins.
I am 176 today, and thats in part due to pigfest n Chicago, but normally hang close to 170-172/ I decided along time ago, that I can live with that, and stopped the unattainable wt I was in my twenties.
Ruth, take care of those sore bones hun! Good luck with the new pups to come.
I hope everyone has a great week, and pray it stops raining here!! We had some floods in Richmond yesterday. My tomatoes are rottin on the vines., It has rained for nearly 8 days straight..........
Old 07-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #19  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Wet and rainy and gloomy again today. It feels like September! No beans, tomatoes or cukes yet - very late.

Hey, the doc told me I can do without the splint on the arm now - as long as I'm careful and am sure to use the splint for bungee jumping or roping steers! great sense of humour, that guy! He also said I've done no permanent damage to the knee but it will take a while to heal. There was one smartass comment about my third dog-related injury! He also insisted I needed a tetanus and diptheria shot.

Lucy comes home from edmonton late tonight. I'll pcik her up at Morna's int he morning when I take Hersh for more bloodwork. Hersh will probably fly west on the weekend, depending on the state of her hormones. This dog stuff really keeps us on the go.

I'm off to a meeting shortly at the Mill. We are planning the August theatre production and I've not yet written the script!

Catch you all later.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:48 PM   #20  

Default Wednesday or Where's My Dacquoiri? Day

boy i could use one
sorry about the scale problems Leenie- but it may take longer than a week to get things going...after that first wonderful Atkins loss, I've never gotten a big initial drop again. I was good for the WHOLE month of May, and lost 3 lbs. That's it. I think age is part of it, and I'm not active(as we well know!) and I'm post-menopausal. And I eat too much. Did I mention I eat too much?

Hi Ruth, milk and diet ginger ale, huh? I don't know. In my waitressing days I had a patron that always ordered milk and scotch. He had an ulcer, but wanted his drink! Too funny. Maybe less scotch and he wouldn't need the milk!

Linda, I read the PPLP. It is the update on Protein Power- remember, Sue(Nasus) was on it. It's nice cause you spread your grams of allowed carbs across the day- 15 or 20 g. at a time. But you still have to count. Good luck...Maybe I'll try it with you. I'll look for the book in the library.

welcome back VAchick, glad it was fun. But that 4 lbs will drop fast I'll bet, got to be part water! God's little punishment for over doing it!

Not much new here. DH is working late, and I rented "Oliver" the movie for my neice and I to watch tonight. She is in a production at her summer camp and has never seen the movie.

work dull, not worth getting into. Sometimes I feel like I have to FORCE myself to leave it behind. I think that's why I've been watching alot of TV at night, a little HGTV shifts my mood and makes no demands on me!

that's it...time to run, cooking steaks with DS,BIL, and DN before watching the movie. Should be fun-

dottie
Old 07-28-2004, 05:15 PM   #21  
Slimwithin

Ha, Dottie, you're lucky if HGTV makes no demands on you. My hubby's threatening to put a lock on that channel because every time I watch it I started making "Honey-Do" lists. LOL Right now I'm in the midst of a master bedroom renovation. I have the new bedding, a new area rug and curtains. Just needs painting but I'm no painter so it all hinges on HIM now. lol

Leenie, I've been going through exactly the same diet meltdown. My experiment with low fat put 14 lb on me. My theory is that at least with low carb I don't gain enormous amounts quickly. I may not lose but at least I don't pack it on like gangbusters. Actually, with this PP plan, you can have 30 gr daily spread out through the day. There are three different versions you can follow too. There's the Purist which is the strictest version and on that you can only have free range and organically grown stuff also no dairy whatsoever. Then there's the Hedonist, which is the most lenient and on it you can have some low carb breads and fruit. The middle-of-the-road version is called Dilettant (sp) which means that you pick and choose from the most lenient and the stricter version at will. That's the one I'm doing. I'm trying to restrict dairy because I suspect I'm very sensitive to them and they cause me to stall. Otherwise, it's not that different from Atkins. I'm still working on the "why's and wherefores" part of the book but I've snuck ahead to read menu combiniations and recipe hints. This is doable. It's more protein than I'm used to. For my weight and height, I'm supposed to have a MINIMUM of 40 gr of protein at each meal. That worked out to two chicken breasts for my lunch with which I had my favourite chopped raw veggie salad. It contains raw cauliflower, brocolli, peppers all chopped up into 1/2" chunks plus a grated carrot. I make enough for several days and it keeps well in the fridge. I top it with a dressing of mayo, with a dash of vinegar and a dash of artificial sweetener and various herbs depending on my mood. I scoop out my cupful of salad and add the dressing then top with a tbsp of salted sunflower seeds (without the shells). I enjoy this much more than a lettuce salad. With the chicken breasts it was a hearty lunch.
One thing the Eades make clear is that calories DO still count and they say that if you eat too much fat, your body has no need to dip into its stored fat, hence there will be no weight loss. So, while fat can really help to curb appetite, it can also curb weight loss. Something to keep in mind. Better to eat extra protein. For a good summary of the book, here's a website to check out.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/rwg...oteinpower.htm

Last edited by LindaBC; 07-28-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:29 PM   #22  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Ahhhhhh I quit !! count this count that. PHOOIE! Dang blasted

Okay another game plan. I am not counting carbs, I'm counting calories 12 - 1400 per day, but I'm still gonna eat similar to atking (no pepperoni, no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes stuff like that ) Any carb I get is going to be from ooodles of veggies. What the heck, got nothing to lose.

GROWL !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #23  
Slimwithin

I'm not really counting anything, Leenie. After all these years of various diets, I think we all KNOW what we have to do.
I was very happy to see that I've lost 4 lb since Monday on Protein Power. Of course, I've been peeing like a leaky faucet and I'm aware that what I'm losing is retained fluids but that's just fine with me. I've been feeling like a bloated, beached whale and the more fluids I get rid of, the peppier I feel. I'm really guzzling the water too....well, not as much as some of you folks because I just don't have the bladder capacity. Yesterday I was running to the bathroom two and three times an hour. Unbelievable that I managed to get anything else done.
I'm off to stock up on protein and veggies.
Leenie, come on gal. You can do this so quitcher*****in' and get with it. Lordy, if I can, anybody can. I'm so gawdawful weary of dragging all this blub around.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:49 PM   #24  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Linda, 4 lbs !! Congratulations to you, hey water or not 4 lbs is 4 lbs. Glad its working for you.

*****in? who's *****in
Old 07-29-2004, 11:03 PM   #25  

Congrats, Linda! That's the spirit!!!!

(running around like a chicken with her head cut off - leaving for vacation in 5 days, still prepping Lis for departure to college, prepping the boys for return to school immediately when we get home from vacation, tieing up loose ends at work, home, etc. AND I'm still not used to the single parent gig yet!)

Hugs all around -

Kel
Old 07-30-2004, 06:48 AM   #26  

friday morning flyby-
Linda, you are my hero...your attitude is contagious! I KNOW cutting carbs is the right thing to do, never fails to make me feel better, and 4 days is about right for starting to feel better. Now, if I could just get there myself. Today I'm back on bacon and eggs
Leenie, this is why I never went over to the Atkins section=most of the LC plans have things that are helpful...and although I am really an ATKID at heart, and my best days are pure atkins, 20g.carb per day. They all boil down to the same thing, and once you kknow the food lists, you don't have to do much counting! I think your meat and veggies plan sounds great! Don't go low on fat though. Did you see the report on eating full fat salad dressings in order to absorb the nutrients/antioxidants in raw veggies? Yours and Linda's chopped salads are just the ticket!

Well, I'm thinking about a very small re-committment thread. Any takers? To get us moving? maybe 2 weeks long? think about it...

should be a quiet day today. yesterday was busy, went to a meeting in the city, got back home early and got all the laundry done last night(some folding for tonight. That feels good. Then I can cook this weekend.

that''s it- have a good one-
dottie
Old 07-30-2004, 09:18 AM   #27  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Sweet Ladies,

Gotta make this fast, I leave at 12 noon during the summer and I have alot to do..ick.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend... I'll be chatting with you all later.

Love ME !!!!
Old 07-31-2004, 07:43 AM   #28  

saturday morning-

I"m ahead on laundry but there is NO food in the house. So a big shopping this morning, and I have to get some LC food for me. I am grabbing a bagel at work a lot of mornings, and that is not good.

Linda, how's PPLP going? I am going to the library today and see if they have it. Hoping for a little inspiration and guidance!

Ruth, how's the knee? Puppy update?

Kel, whoosh, was that you?

Leens, how ya doing? I am fighting off those cinnabons...I actually have one of them across the street from me in the Source Mall(LI Fortunoff) VERRRY CLOSE...I am constantly trying to forget it's there. Right across the street from our drive thru Dunkin donuts/Baskin Robbins combo. Could there be anything worse? I need drive thru steak and ribs!

VA chickie- how are those 4 lbs going? Did they drop off once you got home and back to normal? Has the weather dried up at all? We had a couple of dry days, but it's so muggy you can't breathe. Never cooled off much last night, I'm running the AC in the whole house which I rarely do...but it's just too damp and uncomfortable. And I want to do a bunch of inside things, cook, organize a closet in the office...and I need to be comfortable. I can be a bitc*h when I get hot. DH says,"watch out, I see a bead of sweat!" It's true, I can't take it!

That's it for me...shower, groceries, make some chicken salad and shrimp salad and coleslaw for a cold dinner tonight with salad and grape tomatoes and cukes.

see you later!
dottie
Old 07-31-2004, 08:23 AM   #29  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning and Happy Blue Moon Saturday. For once in a blue moon, I'm going to try to do nothing today!

We are drowning in rain. The good thing is, it is so rainy, the Girls are like big mops when they come in - no muddy paws, just water - and I just follow behind them with the Swiffer and get my floors washed!

Lucy is home and happy to be here! Hershey washes L's ears five or six times a day to reassert her momma-dog status. We are expecting Lucy's pups around September 24. Hershey is still not in full standing heat so....we wait. I imagine there will be more bloodwork next week. Oy!

I'm going to cozy in today with a book and maybe even a nap. I need to do laundry but like to hang it outdoors and there's not a chance of that today as it's still raining buckets.

Hmmmm....chicken salad for dinner sounds good. It's hot and muggy here too!

Have a super weekend.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:51 AM   #30  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Good Morning,

Dottie, we need a new thread

Dottie, a cinnabon across the street from me would mean death to any diet and I would be 400 lbs. I love those things as well as anything that has apple in it. There's a dunkin donuts about 1 mile from me that really doesn't do anything for me. But on the other hand, there's a shop rite less than 2 blocks from me that makes 3 lb donuts to die for. I food shop there every week and its a killer to pass them up. My skinny sister comes all the way up here (she lives near hackensack) just to get them. She eats 3 of them like its nothing... dang! sorry I reminded you of that place..

Ruthie its rainy here and muggy as well. Ckn salad sounds great! I'm being lazy today as well, I'm trying to rid this virus/cold what ever I have thats making me sick lately. We can do nothing together lol.

I have to go in the freezer and take out some meats, then I hve to run to shoprite to get a load of veggies. Thats about it.

How's your weekend?

Linda how's the new diet ??

Virginia, Kel, L,