Old 06-09-2004, 12:51 PM   #1  

Default I've been away for a very long time...

Oh boy, where do I begin? I started low-carbing last year around mother's day. Hubby and I did it - me for weight, hubby because of his triglycerides. I didn't lose much weight and after 6 weeks I flipped over to Sugar Busters. I did okay on that diet until about the middle to the end of July and I fell off the wagon and never properly got myself back on. I put the scale away and just went crazy. I was shocked to realize that by this mothers day, I'd gained back every single pound plus 5 more. I knew it was stupid.

So Mothers day came again and I'm back on a very low carb diet. I've been under 20-25 carbs virtually every day (Although I've been known to indulge in the dangerous sugar-alcohol laden foods and that is clearly setting me back.) My scale is freaking me out and I'm obsessive about weighing myself every day - I KNOW this is stupid and self-destructive, but it's seriously making me crazy. I also think my scale is possessed because it will give different readings depending on if I'm standing a bit forward on it, a bit back, leaning over too far... you get the idea. I think I was up to 205 (UGH!!!!) and I'm back down to somewhere between 187-189 but I have a loooong 40 lbs to go. The first 10, as you all know, went very very fast. The last 6-8 have been frighteningly slow.

I have always felt very hungry (and very poor) on this diet. I don't like eggs and if I eat another bun-less hamburger or $6.00 Subway salad again, I'm going to throw up! That was why I went to sugar busters last year. Problem with SB is that I really feel like a carb-o-holic and the freedom to eat just a few carbs gives way to a feeling of "entitlement" for more. I need to stay away from them but I'm having trouble because I'm on the road so much.

I guess I just really need some support. I need some people to tell me it's absolutely crazy to weigh myself every day - but I'm always afraid that I'll start gaining weight and not realize it soon enough if I don't weigh every day!!!

I also need good low-carb ideas (I'll cruise the website for more) for on-the-fly snacks.

Well, thanks for your help.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:13 PM   #2  
workin' my way back down

Hi Adrienne, and welcome to our little corner of the coop........

I have a confession to make: if you are crazy & obsessed, then so am I!!!! When I am "on track" I can get on the scale, not only daily, but sometimes 3 or 4 times each day! I know that it is insane, and the numbers only reflect what I may have just now eaten or drunk, what clothes I am wearing and also whether or not I have had a "productive" visit to the potty!!!!! After a while of doing that, I then swing to the totally opposite end of the spectrum by IGNORING the scale and (kind of) believing that if I don't see it, it isn't there- nuts, no? I did atkins for a whole year, without binging, lost a total of 30 lbs (veeeeery slowly); last spring fell off the wagon and havent been able to get back on - the 25 or 28 lbs that I regained are heavier than ever!! Now I am back to needing to lose maybe 60 lbs (MINIMUM) - very depressing for a person who is 5' short! BUT, I must must must do this......... myhealth and breathing are beginning to suffer, especially in this hot and humid weather. There is NO CHOICE for me.

As for LC ideas for snacks and meals..... the chickies here are full of wonderful ideas, recipes AND tips to help you along........ Just jump right in and join us on the daily thread....everyone is terrific and supportive...... just the best bunch of chickies anywhere.........
Old 06-10-2004, 07:03 AM   #3  

Hi Adrienne, welcome back!

daily weighing: I do this and think it helps me not go too far off. (have you tried sliding the scale around the room looking for low "spots?") :LOL: seriously, daily weight fluctuations are hard to take, but if you AVERAGE out the weight for a week, it helps and is a more accurate way to count. I use WEIGHT COMMANDER software, safely and easily downloaded from the web ads,I think is was 9.95 around 3 years ago, I really like it, it makes little charts and graphs of your weight, tracks measurments, exercise, has a diary, shoppping lists, tips and motivational comments. I've just gone back to it, and it's been a huge help.

My weight situation is like yours. VERY slow loss, and trying WW or low cal just leaves me hungry! so I am back trying this.

It's such a help to have others with you, stick around, ok?

dottie
I am trying to post here everyday, over on the Daily thread(one thread for the week)
Old 06-10-2004, 07:10 AM   #4  

Thanks for replying to me... I had a dream about the scale last night. Seriously! Hahaha. My problem is that I don't get enough exercise. I commute and hour and 15 mintues each way to work, I have 2 1/2 year old twins who demand much of my free time, AND hubby and I are building a house that is an hour away. However, I work out of the house one day a week so I should at least be able to go to the gym that day and the weekends.

After the middle of August, we should be in our new home, I'll be only 15 minutes from work and I won't have to work through my lunches. My children will go to daycare at the YMCA near my office so if I go work out every day it will be an opportunity to see them at lunch! I just need to stay on the path until then.

I'll be heading over to the daily thread but I remember from experience that if you don't hop in early, it's hard to navigate. Is there a new one started every week, or month or what?

Thanks again!