Old 02-24-2004, 09:35 AM   #16  
Sugardrop

Aleka, I am shocked that WW has a low carb plan now. Please tell me about it. Is that what you are doing? When I put DH on WW and followed along there was no group here in our tiny little town so I just ordered the At Home kit and kind of planned it from there. We were religious and met his deadline before his surgery but I was never full and always discontent...plus the other little problems of having so very much fiber and carbs! I suppose you would say we are "lifers" since we got to goal, but that really is incidental because I just don't want to go so low fat, high carb ever again. At this point, my doctor says that I really need to keep the carbs under control to stay off the medication. Obviously though, calories are a factor because I do love love love to eat good food!

It is grey and sort of nasty here today. Not the kind of day to inspire a good crisp walk...just soggy.

Nikkic, my exercising is not nearly as good as yours. For years I have done a warm up plan to stretch all my muscles every morning. About two or three days a week I do a lower body workout for my legs with weights. It works pretty well for them. This keeps me limber and not hurting. During the warm months I do a lot of gardening. Most of the time, DH and I go to our little fitness center three or four times a week. He swims and saunas, I do the elyptical machine for about 20-25 minutes (NOT at top speed !!) and/or walk the track there for 30 minutes. Not exactly an Olympic trainer, am I??!! I know I should do more but man do I hate it. On nice dry days or good temps, I take the girls for a walk, which they love, but it isn't too productive because they draw so much attention I have to keep stopping to chat with people. Rosalee, the 3-pounder, has a little dog cabana stroller because her legs are so tiny and she claims to be tired at the end of the driveway. I think she just doesn't like the traffic noises because she can run like a deer in our yard! Lucianne loves to walk. She marches along, head high, like a little soldier, accepting compliments from all.

Hope everyone is going to have a good day.

Sugardrop

Last edited by Sugardrop; 02-24-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:32 AM   #17  

Hi,
I didn't sleep much last night myself. I think maybe a couple of hours. How does that happen? I am exhausted by 11pm, then wide awake the rest of the night. I was going to start exercising this morning, but after not sleeping, I never even thought about it, til after breakfast.

Sugardrop, I have a love/hate relationship with exercise. I think it's important to keep it fresh and to try new things. I do a lot of different things, mixing it up through the week. I am impressed with the amount of time you can use the eliptical machine. I love sauna's and would like to get one for our home. I guess it's because I'm Swedish and Danish. Just love that heat. So great for over used joints and getting toxins out of your system.

Aleka, your talking about all those Robins, made me think about a flock of crow's I saw sitting in these tree's around this house we passed on the highway last week. I've never seen so many crows in one place and if I lived there and looked out and saw all of them around my place, I think I'd wonder what was going on. There had to have been over a hundred of them, really odd.

Lynn, have a great time in Toronto.
Hi Anne, hope your lunch is ok. Bet you'll be relieved when it's over.

Take care, Nikki
Old 02-24-2004, 09:18 PM   #18  

Lynn and anyone looking for more low carb recipes-
I was looking on active low carb just now and came across this thread that has lots of good looking and interesting recipes on it. Thought about you Lynn, you love recipes as much as I do-

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=47666

Night, Nikki
Old 02-25-2004, 06:55 AM   #19  

Thanks Nikki, I bookmarked the site for a real good look later. Hope everyone has a good day will check in later today from my brother's in Hamilton
Old 02-25-2004, 07:45 AM   #20  

Angry

Good morning everyone,

ANNE, how did your lunch go yesterday? Hope behaved herself.

nikki, Today's the day!!! I bet you'll be happy to get that cast off. those were a lot of crows in one place. I think we have a lot when I count 5 or 6 in my yard. Speaking of a lot of birds, we see a flock of these fairly small birds, there are hundreds that fly together. They usually sit along the telephone wires, one will swoop down to the ground and the rest will follow, then one will take off and the rest will follow. I could sit and watch them for hrs. as I am amazed by them and I have no idea what type of birds they are. They don't sit still long enough for me to look. I don't see them too much in our area, especially during the winter, but towards the southern part of NH and southern New England I see them more often. Hope you got a better night's sleep last night. Thank you for that link. I'll bookmark it and look at it later at leisure.

Sugardrop, WW low carb Fast Track plan is not like Atkins or any of the other low carb plans out there. You still eat carbs like bread, cereal, fruit, and milk. But you don't eat as much of them. You eat more protein. I don't follow it that closely because the Fast Track plan is only 20 points. Right now I'm eating 22 points, and I'm hungry a lot eating 22 points. The Fast Track plan is where I got the idea of eating part-skim ricotta cheese on my toast. It's optional to do the Fast Track, but it's supposed to jumpstart your weight loss, and you're only supposed to do it for 2 weeks. I assume they say only stay on it for 2 weeks because the majority of the people joining are eating over 20 points. That's wonderful you and your DH got to goal, congratulations. Are you interested in more info on this? If so, I can PM you. Have you looked into the South Beach Diet, Sugar Busters, or Swarzbein Principle? Sugar Busters and Swarzbein Principle are diets that are geared to people with insulin problems. You do eat carbs, the good kind, but in controlled amounts.

lynn, have a wonderful time and I'll be looking forward to your posts while you're away.

I am off later this morning to lunch and a movie with a friend. We're going to see Along Came Polly.

Take care and enjoy your day.
Aleka
Old 02-25-2004, 07:46 AM   #21  
Sugardrop

Morning ladies,

How do you bookmark a site for later looking? Is it something just on this site or on one's computer at large? And how do you make favorite threads? I think I saw that on here somewhere but can't find it again! Not too sharp, this cookie!!!

Sugardrop
Old 02-25-2004, 07:58 AM   #22  

Angry

Sugardrop, to put something in your favorites, you click onto the link and when the page comes up, you take your cursor above your bar where all your icons are, to "Favorites" (on my computer it says, File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help). Click onto "Favorites" and a box will appear to ask you what you want to do. Click "Add to Favorites", then click "OK" and it will be stored in your computer. At least that is how it works on my computer. On my computer I have 2 different Favorites. One is to add it to my list, and the other one is to bring my list into view so that I can go to that site. I hope I haven't confused you, I am computer illiterate and rely on DH to help me out. Nikki explains things a lot better than I can, so if I have confused you, I apologize, and maybe nikki can make things a little clearer for you. I think we were posting at the same time.

Aleka
Old 02-25-2004, 07:05 PM   #23  

Hi,
I did get that aweful cast off today. It was like walking around on a sock that is all waded up in your shoe, but doing it for days on end. A real relief to get that off. I now have a walking boot that can be removed when I lay down or take a bath. I still have stitches and I'm suppose to progressively bare weight, starting at 5 lbs. I'm suppose to step on the scale and see what it feels like to just apply 5 lbs to that leg. Talk about nearly impossible. Still, I'm so glad to be making progress.
I ordered that Slim in 6 program that is on all the infomercials. Too many late nights of no sleeping for me. (Again last night) Anyway, I wanted something to look forward to to refresh my exercise program. Now, after seeing the Dr, I don't exactly know what I was thinking, I won't be able to use that program for at least a few months. It will take me that long before I'm actually back to where I was before this last surgery. The Dr said, they really won't know for 4-6 weeks if my last fracture has really healed. It's the one I had a bone graft on and has been fractured now for 3 years.

Sugar, Aleka did a great job explaining favorites and bookmarks, but if you need more help, let me know. Since not all companies set things up the same way, what works for her might not work for you. So, if you need more help, just yell. Not that I'm a computer wiz

Well, off to contemplate the insides of my eyelids. Lynn, hope your having a great time. Anne, hope your day went better than expected. Take care, Nikki
Old 02-26-2004, 06:58 AM   #24  

Angry

Hi everyone,

Had a great lunch yesterday with my girlfriend and the movie, Everything about Polly was very good.

Today DH & I have been married 32 yrs. We usually go out for dinner to celebrate, but we want to go to this Italian restaurant, Macaroni's Grill, out of state so we've decided to do lunch instead of dinner. We ate at one last year while we were in FL and recently found out there is one in Massachusetts. The best part is they serve whole-wheat pasta.

nikki, glad you got that offending cast off. How uncomfortable you must've been the way the cast was. This boot will be so much more comfortable for you and a lot easier. I've never heard of that Slim in 6 program. Is it a diet & exercise program or just exercise? On my way to meet my girlfriend yesterday, to get to the Interstate I have to go through the very next town from where I live and noticed that a CURVES will be opening up there next month. I am kind of excited about it and am thinking seriously of looking into it and possibly joining. I have been using the Torso Trak and can tell the difference in my mid-section.

Hi ANNE, lynn, sugardrop, hope you're all having a good day.

Aleka
Old 02-26-2004, 02:50 PM   #25  
Sugardrop

Nikkic,

Congratulations on having your cast off! What was the original problem with your leg? Must have been pretty serious to have had a bone graft. Sounds like a long-term problem. I hope you mend well this time. What plan did you send for? I'm not familiar with what you mentioned.

Thanks to you and Aleka for the advice on making a favorite thread. I managed to exucute it nicely.

Aleka, I have read one of the Schwarzbein books and it is too complicated for me. My daughter gave me the South Beach carb counter for Christmas and it is useful, but they eat way too many carbs for me once they get off the first two weeks. I don't think I could survive measuring out 1/4 and 1/2 cup of couscous (or whatever) for each meal and stopping there. I am not that into such tiny quantities of things. I would rather have a cupful all at once and then not any later. Is that bad??? I don't know anything about Sugar Busters. The only two plans I have explored are SS and Atkins. I can maintain on either but not lose...probably am not patient enough. Have you all been down all these routes?

Lynn, I hope your trip is helping your lonliness. A change of scene will do that somethimes.

Yesterday we buried our second really good friend in the last two weeks. Another is in very frail condition. I guess when you get to that point in life, you go through spells of this. I remember calling my mother to visit and she would be in the middle of three or four losses and I thought, "Good grief! We must get on to something more cheerful!" It is difficult to understand until it happens in your own life. I guess we must concentrate on our thanks for all that we still have and enjoy each day as much as possible. Having the girls is a boon for both of us. They seem to sense a soreness in the heart and snuggle their little warm bodies a little closer.

I must be off to the "mulch store" to start laying in a supply for the weekend. Our older daughter is coming home and wants to chat alone with me. We have to get some excuse to get out to the yard without hurting DH's feelings. Yard work ought to do the trick. He's not too agile out there any more and spreading mulch doesn't inspire him to even try.

You are a good group and I enjoy checking in to see what your days are holding. Thanks for welcoming me.

Sugardrop

Last edited by Sugardrop; 02-26-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:39 PM   #26  

Hi,
This day started off right, or maybe wrong depending on how you look at it. Stripe (one of my cats) woke me as usual for his breakfast. I laid back down to try to go back to sleep, but he jumped back up after awhile to get me up for the day. He was really persistent, so when I rolled over, I saw what he was trying to tell me. Boots (other cat) was digging out the potting soil from one of my plants and had soil scattered all over the room. I was thankful that I could now get around and dust and do some vacuuming DH would have went into a meltdown if he'd seen that or had to deal with it. It took much longer than usual, of course, I just took my time. That was it for me for the day, I took a shower and haven't done a thing since.

Aleka, congratulations on 32 great years of marriage!!

I hope you have many, many more wonderful years together and that you enjoy your lunch date.

We have a Curves in our town, but I wasn't too interested in it myself. For one, I don't think I could do it, because of my ankle and also, I like to work out at home. I know some ladies that go there and they like the support they get from the other women that go there. I think it's a great idea to have a place you can go where it's just for women. I never liked going to our local rec center to work out, because it was full of men, children and women looking for men. It wasn't the kind of environment that inspired me to want to work out.

The Slim in Six is from Beach Body, they also produced the Power 90 program. It's a series of tapes to work out with (looks like a combo of resistance training, strength training, yoga, pilates, aerobics), an eating plan, and a bulletin board for support (rather active one, from what I've seen). You do the plan for 6 weeks and your suppose to lose weight sensibly. I've seen some people that do it using a low carb plan or Atkins and some follow the plan that goes with the program.
DH told me yesterday that he really wants to eat a different way. He is gaining so much weight, he's starting to look like Buddha (when Buddha was old and enlightened). The problem is, he won't follow a low carb plan. He wants to eat all the high protein/higher fat food I'm eating along with potatoes, bread and desserts. Besides, he doesn't limit the amount he eats, so there is a problem too. So, he wants to go back to low fat/low calorie eating. OH YUCK! He said I can do what I want, but that's what he's going to do. Well, I can't cook two meals (he said he'd eat those lean cusine meals) and we really can't afford to buy food that follows two plans. So, guess we will be eating low fat and low calorie for awhile, till he gets tired of it anyway. Right now, I'm not eating very well on a low carb plan. It's not that I don't believe in it, it's just that I'm being lazy. I will still not eat sugar and try to keep my carbs reduced, but thought I'd let you all know what I'm going to be doing for awhile anyway. I will return to low carb/high protein food, eventually, since I believe it's the best way.

Sugardrop, so sorry to hear about your friend. It sure does seem when we get to a certain time in our lives, that we start to lose more and more friends and family. DH and I are losing so many people that we were close to, we are wearing black a lot lately. It does make you appreciate everyday much more and the wonderful family, friends and things we have been blessed with.

I have not done Sugar Busters, Schwarzbein, South Beach or Dr Phil's plans. I've read them though. They are all good in their own ways, but I think it's a matter of finding what is right for you and what you can live with. Like you, Sugar, I read Dr S's plan and just laughed when she said to eat 1/2 a baked potato once or twice a week. I"m sure I will eat 1/2 a potato. That's hardly enough to get a good taste of it, just enough to make you want to eat the rest. For me, it just wouldn't work.

Well, I won't go into a long story, because it's real long. Sugar, I fell down the basement stairs 3 years ago, shattered my right ankle into a million pieces and I've had many surgeries since to try to get back on my feet. This has turned out to be more of a blessing than I could have ever imagined. My life has changed in so many ways, and for the better. God works in mysterious ways. Sometimes things look very bleak and hopeless, but there is a rainbow, you just have to look close sometimes.

Anyway, glad you found us Sugardrop. I enjoy hearing about your days too and your little girls.

Well, guess I'll go lay down and watch a movie, take care everyone, Nikki
Old 02-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #27  
Sugardrop

Good heavens, Nikkic,

What a terrible ordeal you've been through. For whatever reason you have had the improvements, I pray things turn out well for you.

I know what you mean about DH's needs. When we both got down to goal 2+ years ago, we did fine for a while. Then gradually he regained 10 pounds and me 5 by going off on our own. He eats a lot lot lot of chocolate kisses. I eat NO sugar or chocolate. Now he is making noises about wanting to get back to where he was but can't do it unless we do it together like we did before. I don't know if I can commit to WW again, even to help him, but no way could I cook for two separate plans. It would be a financial disaster for my budget and a management disaster as well. I guess if he keeps it up, I will cook for him......what other choice is there?????? Nuts! Let us hear what you decide.

Sugardrop
Old 02-26-2004, 06:17 PM   #28  

Hi Everyone:
I finally got the chance to log in. Work has been keeping me busy and I
am constantly exhausted. We are going through four years of patient
valuables that we are sorting through. This job was dropped on our department from admitting and what a job it is. Depressing too.

I am glad that lunch is over. reminds me of a lumberjack. She
was so rude to the waiter I wanted to crawl under the table. I had a lovely
meal though. New York Strip . Very fancy place.
I got into an argument with Sylvia today though and I hung up on her. She is too much to take. Tanya and I are doing our best. We both give each other much needed moral support. was telling me about 1
incorrect entry I made into the g/l (I do roughly 500-600 per day) I said
you called me to tell me that!

My DH and I are going to Jack Astors for lunch on Friday. I took the day off
as a "mental health day". Besides I get 6 weeks vacation and 3 floating days
so I might as well.......
Our weather was lovely today. I made me feel so good for once.

Nikki, I am so happy you got your cast off. Thats just great. My diet hasn't
been the greatest I must tell you I have creeped back up to 210. I have
to improve this week!!!! You must let me know how you like the slim in 6.
I have seen the infomercial. Looks great. At the moment with all these
lunches I feel like humpty dumpty
I have 30 days before I turn 47. I better get thinking about that 199 goal
I made before it becomes mission impossible .

Aleka, congratulations on 32 years of marriage. Thats so beautiful

Hi Lynn, hope you are feeling better. It will take time, thats for sure.

Hi Sugardrop nice to read your posts.

Anne.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:35 AM   #29  

Angry

TGIF!!

Thank you for your good wishes. Our lunch was good. You can create your own pasta dishes there so I was able to have the whole-wheat pasta, plus the sauce and any toppings I wanted. We also shared a dessert, which was chocolate cake, and the cake was enough for 4 people. It was sooo good, and if it weren't bad manners to do so, I would've licked the plate! I brought enough pasta home for another meal for DH & myself.

Sugar, I am so sorry about your friend. It's very hard when you start losing friends especially if they're your age. Unfortunately you have to go through things like that as you get older. With me, it's been family members, my parents, aunts, uncles, and a few cousins. My Dr. recommended Sugar Busters to me one time, so I bought the book. I found it a bit confusing because they wanted you to limit your carbs, but didn't give you any guidelines as to how many carbs you were allowed, or serving size. They did have a chapter on daily menu ideas, but it was for maintenance. I thought it was odd they didn't include and eating guide for both. I will PM you with the WW details.

nikki, you have a great cat there in Stripes. It's a good thing you recognized that he was trying to tell you something rather than being annoying. I wonder how you can tell sometimes? Glad that with the boot you're able to do a bit more. Are you still in a lot of pain and when will you know if the bone is healing ok? I don't like to cook 2 different meals either. Luckily DH tells me that he'll eat however I'm eating. But, won't cut down on his portion sizes. Like Sugar said, let us know what you decide. I will have to look for the infomercial for that diet. I have not seen it before.

ANNE, sorry about your argument with I wonder how many mistakes she has made. At least your lunch is behind you. You do need the day off today after the ordeal you went through. Enjoy your lunch with your DH.

lynn, hope you're having a wonderful time.

Have a great day everyone and a great weekend.
Aleka
Old 02-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #30  

Goodmorning Everyone: First of all Sugardrop I can relate to the number of funerals these so called "golden years" have us attending. It sucks!!!! 2 friends this year younger than myself. You have my sympathies. Aleka we are married 33 years this May. Our son was born on our 2nd anniversaryso it goes without saying we never got to celebrate our anniversary's, busy doing the birthday thing. my daughter-in-law threw a 30th surprise party for my son and invited some of our friends had a cake etc. which was a great day for us. I have told him this year we are going to celebrate all day lunch dinner show to make up for missed celabrations. Nikki you are starting to sound like your old self. Being down here has been a nice break. My daughter took thurs. & fri. off on holidays so today we are doing the lunch thing than on to visit my mother in the nursing home. My step-father has decided that I am his friend to hang out with,and I have had to be firm about needing space to catch up with friends. Had a great day yesterday. Spent the day with our friends had a lovely dinner. They recently lost their 18 year old dog and have a new 2 year old. He is a sit-shu (spelling?). We all had so much fun We had forgotten how active and cute a yound dog can be. Our friends lost there only daughter a few years back and are just coming out of their grief. Yesterday was the happiest I had seen them in years. We have tried to be there for them but until you have lost a child It is a grief people on the ourside couldn't begin to understand. This afternoon going to step-dad's to help him cook dinnerand spend the evening. Tomorrow back to Mississauga to visit than on to Hamilton till Monday we think. Anne enjoy your day with your DH. You have an incrediable day for a mental health day. Talk to you all tomorrow