Old 02-02-2004, 08:54 AM   #16  

Nikki thanks so much I just cut and paste a recipe to my daughter. Talk to you soon
Old 02-02-2004, 08:58 AM   #17  

Smile

Sha, congratulations on your weight loss!! You really are doing fantastic.

nikki, thanks for answering my question. My cousin that I met yesterday for lunch is low carbing and she's done very well. She's not strictly following Atkins, but she is counting "net" carbs. I have seen other people counting total carbs, and was wondering which way was best. I'm so used to SSizing and not counting carbs. You know, it doesn't surprise me in the least that the gov't would try to pass laws to monitor everyone in this country. It seems we're losing a lot of our basic "rights", and it's very scary. I will try the banana nut muffin mix.

Bye again...
Aleka
Old 02-02-2004, 09:56 AM   #18  

Sha, eating everything in one hour poses no problem to me. My DH says he has never seen anyone that can eat as fast and as much as I can. I now try to think about every bite I take and to chew it much slower, rather than eat like it's my last meal before going to a desert island. Bad habits are hard to break.
I do like the idea of the reward meal. If you continually deny yourself something, it just makes you want it more. If you realize it is not completely forbidden, just delayed, then that would be easier for most people to handle.
Congratulations on the weight loss
that is wonderful!

Lynn, your welcome.

Aleka, I agree about losing alot of rights that we now take for granted. I know it is a matter of security, but at what cost? Very troubling.
I've read lots of old timers (Atkins old timers) still count the total carbs. I have read so many things and different ways of doing this plan, I basically now try to stick to what Dr. A wrote in his Diet Revolution book, except I just count the sugar alcohols, because of what I said before.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:34 AM   #19  

goodmorning Ladies: Thought you pet owners would find this as amazing as I do. I also gRetriever survives 11 days in snowbank

ROBERTA AVERY
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

HILLSDALE, Ont.—Guinness, the "miracle" golden retriever who survived 11 frigid days and nights in a snowbank after being severely injured by a vehicle, is back home.

"We're thrilled. We never expected to see him again," said Guinness' owner Terry Coward yesterday.

Guinness' story of survival against incredible odds began with a call of nature around 10 p.m. Jan. 14.

"It was extremely cold outside, but he didn't come back in," said Coward.

Coward and his wife Eileen called for 8-year-old Guinness and then ventured out of their home in this village 30 kilometres north of Barrie to begin a frantic search.

The next day, they put up posters and called animal shelters, all to no avail.

In the days that followed, with temperatures plummeting to minus-25 C with blizzard conditions, any hope of finding Guinness alive faded away.

What the couple didn't know was that Guinness, unable to move because of a broken pelvis, a broken back foot and a 25-centimetre gash to his belly, was lying in a snowbank across from their home on the other side of Highway 93.

It was 11 days later when a neighbour called to say his visitors had spotted something moving in a snow bank.

The frozen dog was barely able to move, so Coward carried Guinness to Hillsdale veterinarian Barbara Ann Chidiac.

"He was in severe shock and barely alive," said Chidiac.

The wound on Guinness's lower abdomen, which required dozens of stitches, was so badly frostbitten that the skin had come away from the muscles, said Chidiac.

X-rays indicated the injuries were 11 days old and had been almost certainly caused by a motor vehicle, said Chidiac.

"His survival defies any explanation. I have never seen anything like it before. It's miraculous," said Chidiac.

It probably helped that Guinness was overweight and body fat combined with snow acted as insulation against the bitter cold, Chidiac said.

› Get 50% off home delivery of the Toronto Star.

Previous Story
Print Story
E-mail Story
Next Story

> ADVERTISEMENT <

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

et to practise my cut and Paste Nikki LOL. Will be back later.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:38 AM   #20  

Well a bit of a screw up, but isn't that amazing. The poor thing must of suffered. I hope he was in severe shock. Later.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:42 PM   #21  

Good Afternoon Ladies,
Lynn, good job on the copy and paste. One of my cats came home once with it's stomach ripped open from his ribs to his tail. He had been like that apparently for sometime, because when I picked him up, all kinds of flies came out of the wound. We had looked all over for him for about a week and one day, he was laying under DH's truck. It was a Sunday, so I took him to the nearest animal ER, which was a town away. The Dr said he must have jumped down on a stick or a metal post and gutted himself. He said it would cost at least $500 and there was no guarantee he would live. Well, being the big sap that I am and also that we had raised him from the time he was just a couple of weeks old, I said do anything you can to save him. Somehow, he did make it. That cat is more like one of the family than just a cat, plus, he had to have dragged himself quit a ways to get home, so he must have counted on us to help him. It's amazing how some animals (and people) can survive things that should really kill them. I think it has to do with will and the power of wanting to live.

Hi everyone, hope all are having good days. Mine has been rather busy, doing a lot of running around and errands. At least the snow stopped and the sun is out. I saw at Walmart that they have all the spring/summer garden stuff out now, including seeds. It sure does make me happy to see it, I can't wait to start getting in the garden again. This old winter won't last much longer, spring is just around the corner, take care, Nikki
Old 02-03-2004, 05:06 PM   #22  

Good Afternoon All:

We had a lovely day of freezing rain Enough winter already!!! Our
groundhog says 6 more weeks of winter, That covers Lynn and myself
How about you guys?

I didn't get a chance to post when I arrived home yesterday I was just
wiped!! Monday has a real draining effect on me.....I was fast asleep by
7o pm Mind you, I get up at 3:30 am

Sha, great weight loss, keep it up

Lynn, that was certainly an amazing story!! Have you heard about that
park in Scarborough that is making the dogs sick?

Hi Aleka, how is your weather these last couple of days?

called me today. She said she will be in to see me Wednesday with
an "update" I'm almost scared to here what it is

Have a great evening everyone.
Anne.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:40 PM   #23  

Angry

Good evening,

We're supposed to get between 5" & 8" of snow overnight. It has just started spitting. Luckily, we don't have to go anywhere.

lynn, that is such a nice story, as it had a happy ending. That poor dog, how he must have suffered. We have been very fortunate so far that none of our pets have been seriously injured.

ANNE, our groundhog said 6 more weeks of winter also, but we have more like 10 weeks of winter left. You really do get up early, you and my DH would get along great, as he's up at 3:30 too. Good luck tomorrow talking with

nikki, how much snow did you get? It wouldn't surprise me if our Walmart was still selling winter stuff. It nice to think that spring is just around the corner. At least it will be where you live.

Sha, hope you're doing well.

Have a great evening everyone.
Aleka
Old 02-03-2004, 07:21 PM   #24  
Sha

AnneD thanks for being there..

Aleka Hi, I am doing well, thanks so much for asking.

I have been on a run all day. To the point I did not eat lunch. I can't beleive I did not have time to eat.. That has to be a first. ha ha

I can't tell all of you how much I enjoy ready the boards.. It is nice to have friends out there..
Old 02-04-2004, 07:05 AM   #25  

Hi Aleka & Nikki: This is story that Anne was talking about

Wed, February 4, 2004

2 kids ill at poison park

Cops warn Riverdale residents to steer clear
By CHRIS DOUCETTE AND JACK BOLAND, TORONTO SUN

Withrow Park remained deserted yesterday as anxious Riverdale residents learned a possible poisoning of dogs seems to have sickened some neighbourhood kids as well. Police are warning children and pet owners to stay away from the park southwest of Pape and Danforth Aves., which has been closed since Monday, while they determine what has killed one dog, caused as many as 10 others to become ill, and possibly left two young kids with similar flu-like symptoms.

"It's really sad. This park is the heart of our community," Eric Boulden, 39, who lives in the neighbourhood, said last night.

Boulden's two children began throwing up after a weekend of tobogganing in the sprawling park, and -- while he's concerned -- he said he's not panicking.

"If the yellow tape wasn't up around the park, I wouldn't think it was anything but the flu," he said while out for a walk with little Liam, 2. The child was feeling much better following a bout of illness Sunday that came on suddenly.

Boulden's wife and his older boy Matthew, 6, began throwing up as well on Monday and were still sick last night.

Toronto Police were unaware of the Boulden family's plight, but Det. Sydney Thomas confirmed two small kids, aged 6 and 7, became ill after tobogganing in the park.

But police have been quick to downplay any link to the numerous dogs believed poisoned while playing in the off-leash area of the park. Of the hundreds of kids who used the park's toboggan hill, police point out, only two have complained of sickness and may have just had the flu.

Withrow Park will remain closed for three to five days as tests on samples of materials and food from the park are completed at the University of Guelph labs through the environment ministry.

An autopsy will be completed today on T-Bone, the dog that died Monday morning after eating something in the park.

Some community members believe the dogs may have been poisoned as a result of animosity between dog-owners and those without pets.

"The concept that someone poisoned him is mind-boggling," said Jeffrey Rubin, the owner of the Cavalier King Charles spaniel. He said the fateful Sunday night walk lasted less than 10 minutes, but at one point his dog had his head in bushes eating something.

Casey Conklin, manager of the Withrow Park Dog Owners' Association, said a dog belonging to a nurse who is part of the group became sick Sunday after playing in the park.

Later, the nurse watched the dog throw up something that looked like a chunk of hotdog, Conklin said.

"There were black granules inside a bored-out hotdog," Conklin said.

Isn't that awful!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:27 AM   #26  

Goodmorning Ladies: First of all Anne hope you are well rested today for your meeting and you are about to get aroung in all the slush down there. Is your son having a better week? That was some story about your cat Nikki the poor thing certainly deserved to live. You had to give him another chance. Did you see Oprah yesterday? She had a show with people who had survived incredible life theatening experiences and what they remembered and a doctor to explain what the body went though. It was fasinating stuff. You are right Aleka I am relieved my dogs haven't had to suffer in their life. Well for a week I have been watching carbs and counting calories. I'm not losing as fast as I did last time on carbs so decided to jolt my system. I also have been exercizing every day so am back on track. I am loosely following Dr. Phil but keeping carb's low and calories under 1000 per day. So far so good. If it goes good this next week I might add the low-carb bread but I might stay on the under 1000 cal. for an extra week. With bread it is all or nothing with me. My compulsive personality coming to the front! Well enough for now will be back later.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:31 AM   #27  

Anne Typo"s Again!!!! Some day I will remember to proof read LOL. Anyway I meant to say I hope you have no problems getting around in all the slush down there. Sorry
Old 02-04-2004, 08:56 AM   #28  

Angry

We got 6" of snow overnight. DH has been out plowing our road and driveway most of the morning. We live on a private dirt road, which we have to maintain ourselves.

lynn, what a terrible thing for someone to do. Those poor children and dogs. I just can't understand how and why people can be so cruel. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of things and find out what is going on. Please keep us posted. I have an awful time losing weight too. I don't know if it is because of my age, I'm on Premarin, my constant yo-yo dieting throughout my lifetime, or all of the above. When I was Somersizing it took me 6 months to lose 10 lbs. DH had lost double that in 3 months. I was soooo mad!

ANNE, how did your meeting go with ? Hope it was ok.

nikki, your poor kitty. What an awful thing to happen. Luckily you found him in time and he made it through. DH & I would've spent the money too to get him well. They are so well worth it, they really are members of your family. I mentioned in a previous post that I had made the Atkins muffin mix into a loaf and DH & I had it for breakfast. I forgot to mention that later that morning both of us had heartburn from the muffin mix. DH had 2 slices and I had 1, so his was worse than mine. My cousin's boyfriend had the same thing happen to him and the Banana Nut had the same effect on her. Have you had that problem with his mixes?

Sha, glad that things are going well with you. Have the Dr.'s determined yet what is wrong with your DH?

Have a great day everyone.
Aleka
Old 02-04-2004, 10:21 AM   #29  
Sha

aleka... I can't get him to go back to the Dr. Said he has been though enough. Can't say I blame him. But will get in there in a few weeks. He needs to go, we need to find out what is wrong with him.. Thanks for asking.

One of the hardest things I am having to deal with my WOE.. Is all my life I was told to eat Pasta,Potatoes, bread.. Because they make you full.. Now that I am eating the low carb mels, I am not as hungry.. Now how can that be??? To funny..
Old 02-04-2004, 10:27 AM   #30  

Morning,
Lynn, that is aweful what is happening in that park. It would just make me so mad if someone did that to one of my animals. I rarely watch Oprah, it's a time of the day when I'm usually busy and never get the chance to watch her anymore. I do catch Oprah After the Show on Oxygen sometimes, but it's not the same as the show.
Your still losing weight and that's the important thing. Sounds like your doing very well at it too, good for you.

Aleka, sorry to hear about the extra snow. DH told me that so far this winter, we've gotten 34 inches total. Last year, we got 8 inches total. That's why we are in snow shock here, it's just not usual. We desperately need the moisture though, we've been in a state of drought for years, so this will help a lot.
I never got indigestion with the muffins, but I had to quit eating them. I would make a batch, eat one and freeze the rest. But by the end of 2 days, I'd have eaten them all up. They would just call to me every time I passed the freezer and I just couldn't resist.
DH took the car in to have the tire fixed this morning, since I forgot yesterday. The valve stem was losing air. Glad that's taken care of, I've never changed a tire and don't want to learn at my age.

Anne, hope your day goes well.
Sha, you too!

Take care ladies, Nikki