Old 01-29-2004, 02:52 AM   #1  
jhopp217

Question Atkins and fat

I just started an Atkins type diet about ten days ago. After 7 days I was down 13 lbs, so I'm happy so far, but I've noticed that my saturated fat grams are between 40-70g per day. According to the RDA's you're only supposed to have 20g per day, but I can't seem to avoid it. I don't want to cut out all dairy, because I don't want to deprive myself of calcium (yes I'm taking vitamins). Can someone tell me if cooking things on something like a Foreman grill truly reduces the fat you ingest? I've got my carbs down to about 15-25g per day, but I've noticed my percentages are usually about 5% carbs, 70%fat, and 25% protein

Any ideas or tidbits>?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:50 AM   #2  
Head Princess

Jhopp - I wouldn't worry about it. It's a complete paradigm shift, but fat is good. I generally end up with between 60%-80% fat in a normal day and I'm losing an average of 10 pounds per month in addition to being significantly healthier. You can not trust everything on the RDA. Remember, they also recommend 300 grams of carbs per day!

So relax, and enjoy this. It's actually dangerous to try to do low fat and low carb at the same time. You may want to re-read the first few chapters of the Atkins book to refresh yourself on how and why this works.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:06 PM   #3  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Believe it or not that is normal fat intake for someone doing Atkins. It drops a little when you get into the other phases. Even if you cook something on the Foreman grill Dr. Atkins would recommend a good fat sauce over the top of it. As Starprincess suggested you might want to reread some of your chapters in the Atkins book. Dana Carpender also talks about the importance of fat in the diet when doing lc.

Besides who wants to argue with 13 lbs. lost?

If the fat really really bothers you, you might want to take a look at the South Beach Diet which does cut fat. People have been pretty successful with that one too.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:39 PM   #4  
jhopp217

Default Dietary fiber Carbs (does it really count)

I just purchased some of those snack bars, cereals, and chips that say you can count a hadnful despite the label ssaying it has more carbs. Is this legit> I'd hate to waste a week of a diet, because I'm taking what says counts for 2 carbs, when it's really 24.Any thoughts
Old 01-29-2004, 09:42 PM   #5  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

LIMIT THEM!!!! they can stall you but will work in a pinch. I love my cookies and cream bars but limit the fake bars or shakes to only one a day if that. They are not as good as they are touted but they will do in a pinch if you are very hungry and do not have anything real to eat.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:53 PM   #6  
Head Princess

Fiber is fine to not count because your body can't digest it. But watch out for sugar alcohols! We do metabolize them, just slower than other carbs. I have learned that if I don't count them, I stall and feel sick and some other unpleasantness. There's a sticky at the top of the atkins forum about them if you're interested.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:23 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I too am conserned about the Sat Fats... I was at 45 easily a day.
So what I did was buy some Soy Sausage, Soy Veggie Cheese (which is pretty good believe it or not) to cut down on my sats (they have 0 sat fats - gimmee lean brand sausage and Veggie Slices cheese) I also have been cooking with Tofu (firm). One thing I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy is soy/veggie hot dogs BARF!

If you go to Atkins website, they do recommend Soy products (just watch and read what you pick up, meaning carbs as well as ingred.). Soy's got a lot of good benefits, and its very high in protein

Good luck !!