Old 01-15-2004, 07:26 AM   #1  

Default Thursday Chick Chat

Good morning,

Coffee is on, hot and strong. I got to school early this morning to get some things done and here I am on the boards. Oh well.

Linda - The Whole Foods Diet is a diet plan for people with syndrome X. This is a list of symptoms common to people at risk for or having diabetes or heart problems. My dad's doctor put him on the plan. It is low carb, but allows for a lot more fruits and veggies than Atkins. That is what keeps DH on it, I think. It is similar to South Beach. The URL is:

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/SOM/FamMed/wholefoods.html

You can read about it there. DH's glucose level hasn't been above 106 since he started it (except the one day he cheated and put a bunch of crackers in his chili). Dad's glucose level is higher, but he's on medication for prostate cancer and has been fighting the flu, so I think that's what's keeping his high. I don't have a problem sticking to it, but I haven't lost any weight yet. I don't eat all of the carb choices I'm allowed per day, but it's nice to know they are there if I want them.

Nasus - I have a student who was diagnosed with leukemia early in the school year. I've been tutoring him at home, since his immune system is depressed by the chemo he's been receiving. I had to cut short our session last night because he was throwing up again. He says he never knows when it's going to hit. This is the worst it's been since he started taking chemo and having spinal taps. I've never watched a child go through this before and I hope I never have to again. It's heartbreaking, but my little fellow just takes it in stride. Everyone on the board has been great about keeping him and his family in their thoughts and prayers and I really think that makes a difference.

Well, I've got to get out of here and get some work finished. Take care and have a great day.

Karla

Last edited by arlak; 01-15-2004 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:06 AM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Morning,
been to the gym and the market. It is a whopping 1 today and going to drop to about -13 tomorrow. Record lows for Boston. I have some e mail to catch up on and I am going to clean up the craft room to make it inot an office for myself. i love being at the kitchen table but I have a BIG project coming up and I need a little bit of a more permanent space for the next few months.
Another cup of coffee and I will be on my way, I need to warm up!
-L
Old 01-15-2004, 10:32 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

ok. it's about 10 degrees outside, so i wore layers. and now i'm having a hot flash at work, and STRIPPING!!!!!!!

oh help, you older, wiser ladies.. how long is this going to last????????? i don't have another layer to take off at the moment!!!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:53 AM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning Ladies

Its cold cold cold here this morning!! I didnt get over to the park to do any skiing yesterday, but its definitely in the plan for today!! Im so excited!!

Still op and very sore from my workouts......so I guess thats good eh?

Jiff~ how many layers have you got on?? While I was visiting my mom, I prit'near froze to death in the car with her. She had the window down (-11F) and the heat off! She asked me at supper time why I had my mitts on in the car!! But I didnt say anything about it at the time, I knew she was really really hot. lol Dad got a good chuckle out of it, thought it was about time someone else had to deal with it. Anyway, I got off track, I finally talked her into wearing her summer shirts, and knee highs instead of socks, and a warm sweater over top of her shirt, and thats it. She was wearing layers too, but warm winter layers. The last 2 days I was there seemed a bit better. Hope this helps (oh, and keep a little fan at your desk at work)

Not much else happening in this corner of the world...have a great day!
Robin
Old 01-15-2004, 10:58 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Should be gone by 65, Jiff. Actually it's so damned cold here I really miss the hotflashes. Wanna come for a visit and bring yours?

L144S, can you tell us about the BIG project? Sounds interesting.

Karla, you threw me a bit by changing your name! Check out some of the recipes in the South Beach Diet Forum. I have my BGL in perfect control now by eating good fats and carbs. It works.

Had a great birthday yesterday with good wishes in here and in real life but really did eat too much all day. I'm suffering a bit this morning and am trying very hard to stay pure. It's not too difficult to do when you have heartburn! Water, veggies and maybe fish are in the plan.

No Kevin today - too cold to start the truck, I guess. Gail comes tomorrow so I will probably not see K until Monday as I sure can't cope with the two of them in the house - one messing and one cleaning is counterproductive!

Social worker comes to evaluate our home situation with a view to getting me a homemaker once in a while. I have mixed feelings about this but know I may need the help eventually if Harry has a fall or something so will be nice and get in the loop.

I have to bundle up and go for the mail and paper and bring in more frassing wood. Why my ancestors settled here, I'll never know! They must have been daft as well as Irish!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:10 AM   #6  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Sorry ruth I did not mean to be evasive.
KFS and I do tech for the parents committee at school. The Big project is the school auction the end of April. KFS has turned it over to me, she will take second and help me through to be able to do this next year too .... all of the infor mation has to f=go through the 2 of us to be entered into the auction program....So I need a desk for the paper work, probobly a printer there too since our printer is wireless and back near DH's office on the other side od the house...

Ruth, be open minded about the help....
-L
Old 01-15-2004, 04:35 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

ruth... you're gonna have HELP???? TAKE IT!!!!!!!!! GRACEFULLY!!!!!! view it as a managerial challenge, one for which you've been preparing for years. or an earned bennie of your wisdom!!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:45 PM   #8  
Senior Chicky

Angry Hi ya'll

Just a quick in and out for me today (again)~ Started off typing one quick thing for dh and ended up in the office doing typing and online bills since 7:30 a.m. till bout 5:00 p.m.. I'm pooped. Finally got my shower about 7:00---yucky --- ya can prob smell me all the way to Canada!

Too much going on in my life (which just adds to the usual craziness) to go into. Maybe someday I'll have enuff time to share.

Dh was to go to San Antonio tomorrow (I begged out) but since weather has turned yucky and he can't go to deer lease from there looks like he's not going. I sure was hoping cuz I could use the break and hang out here for a bit. Awwww well......I'll try to sneak in as I can.

Janice

PS - Hey Linda - do you ever have anyone ask what you do all day? I do and just ticks me off soooooo badly. If they only knew the true joys of the self employed.!!!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:59 PM   #9  
Hang In There

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=5]Did you sayJOY of sel-employment? You must not have read my posts about our SBA loan
government agencies!!! Anyway we finally finalized everything today, Was supposed to yesterday, sat in the title company office for about 3 hours and still didn't get it done. Anyway today, we arefinished with that phase of things and I got to see our new building for the first time, the insides anyway.

Still no word from the reasearch people, but I am looking forward to getting my BMI done tomorrow. I worked out with my trainer today and did the water Pilates class. Tomorrow will be deep water.

I'm still staying OP but it hasn't been easy.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:06 PM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I got called int work tonight so I am holding my own till I leave. I think it is warmer at work then here so I guess i am taking my coffee and leaving!! I am tired now what am I going to do???

Brenda I am glad the furnace is working, and well it sure took a long time of trying to remember your name then it HIT me Kayla cheated with her name on the bottom!!

it is so cold here that I think my toes are frozen and it is in the house!!! a mere -8 and 60 in the house. must be my socks are wet!! from the holes in the sides of my sneakers!!

ruth take the help if they offer it!!

Jiff Can I borrow some heat??? PLEASE?????

Kayla add my prayers to your child from me too!!!