Old 09-10-2003, 01:41 AM   #1  
Slimwithin

Default Great Pumpkin Challenge - Week 2

Don't forget, our weigh-in is Monday. Sorry, I meant to start this new thread last night but got distracted.
I hope you're all doing better than I am.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #2  

I just started this challenge yesterday and I already slipped!!! I was so wanting something sweet last night so I got a fudge cycle from the freezer and it was sooooo good. It had 10 carbs, someone please tell me this isint so bad... I'll do better today!
I hope everyone is doing well. I'm so happy I found this site, it's the best group!

Have a great day guys... Mia
Old 09-10-2003, 12:25 PM   #3  
reaching my goals

miamariana, the lemon flavored le carb ice cream is pretty good. it is lower in carbs. atkins and carbolite snack bars are delicious. If you really have a sweet tooth, Russell Stover now makes low carb, sugar free candy. I've only tried the toffee sticks covered in chocolate. They are fabulous. YOu can't tell that they are no sugar. You get 4 sticks per serving--22g carbs, <1g fiber, 21g sugar alcohol--for a net effective carb <1. Hang in there. You're doing great!
Old 09-10-2003, 12:40 PM   #4  

Talking

Supersized, I've tried the russell stover low carb peanut butter cups...so good. I'll stop at the store today and stock up on some low carb sweets. I'm gonna try thoose toffee sticks they sound tasty... Thanks for the ideas

Oh have you tried the hersheys sugar free candy?? I have its good also... But it has something in called Licitol???? Do you know if thats a sugar alcohol? If it is then they are also very low in carbs and not as expensive as the other low carb products..

Mia
Old 09-10-2003, 01:15 PM   #5  
thin within

Talking 10 down

after 8 days on atkins, i am down 10 lbs. that brings me down to 200. i am just tickled pink. i know the first week has a lot of water loss. but hey, i'll take it any way i can good luck all!
Old 09-10-2003, 01:57 PM   #6  
Take Out Queen

Hi everyone... I too am doing a low carb diet. I started 3 days ago so I'm just a baby here. I did however lose 50pds on Atkins two winters ago, but I gained it all back when I moved in with my boyfriend. Why does that happen? Oh I know, because all he knows how to cook is hamburger helper and spaghetti!

Fullfig - I want to lose 10 pds in 8 days!!!! How did you do it?

I'm doing alot more exercise now than I ever did, 45min tae-bo in the mornings and 45 min power walking at night. I'm hoping to lose 40 pounds by christmas and gain back the confidence I've lost.

~Carlie
Old 09-10-2003, 03:21 PM   #7  
thin within

Default hi carlie

i have really just been keeping my carbs really low. for vegetables, i've only been eating salad and not really a lot of it. i have been eating chicken salad (chicken breast, mayo, eggs), smoked turkey from the deli, chicken breasts grilled on george foreman, scrambled eggs a few times, bacon once, a little colby jack cheese, a little mozzarella cheese, and a tiny bit of cheddar. i have only craved sweets a few times in the first few days. on those occasions, i had a small spoon of regular peter pan peanut butter and once a couple oz of cream cheese mixed with a couple packets of splenda. i had bought two six packs on diet rite fruit flavored drinks, but have had only three--in case i wanted something sweet. but i read that they can stall losing. so, they are just sitting in fridge. i drink plenty of water too. at least half a gallon a day. i have not started exercising yet, as i am unpacking boxes from a recent move. i hope this helps. also, i take a prenatal vitamin each day. i am planning to get pregnant after getting my weight down. you don't have to be pregnant or nursing to use them though. i have not once felt like cheating and only had a sweet taste those few times. if you have any other questions please ask. good luck!
ps--i also have had pepperoni a few times. i just put them in a pan to heat them until a little crispy.

Last edited by fullfig; 09-10-2003 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:03 PM   #8  

Question fullfig

fullfig
What weight do you want to get down to before getting pregnant? Do you have any children now? I'm just curious & it reminded me of something my Doc told me.
Mia
Old 09-10-2003, 08:23 PM   #9  
Slimwithin

Welcome, Carly Nice to see another B.C.er here. Wavin' to you from Langley.

I think the smartest thing, especially at the beginning of low carbing, is to keep it simple. Sometimes I get all caught up in making complex recipes and artifically sweetened treats when I know I do best when I eat a basic low carb diet. Meat, eggs and low carb veggies. The only commercial low carb sweets appear to be the Atkins Advantage and Endulge bars and they're very expensive. I have tried some low carb chocolates from a local chocolate shop but they contain maltitol and I don't trust that stuff.

Another mistake I continue to make is when I start adding in a few carbs after Induction. That's when we should be adding in a few more veggies and perhaps some berries but I tend to add in s.f. treats like cheesecake. I should stick to s.f. jello and increase the green beans and asparagus.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:52 PM   #10  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Week 2 and I'm doing horribly! My allergies (ragweed - hay fever) are awful, and I am sniffling and sneezing and feeling miserable....don't want to exercise!! Just took an antihistamine (I hate those things) and hoping it will kick in soon, so I can actually breathe!

My weight is going up?? Can't explain it...except for my "pseudo-period"....my real period is still expected next week? (I presume?). I am sitting it out and hoping for some loss when this whole thing is over!

This is making me cranky!

Froufy
Old 09-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #11  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Froufy - Hang in there!! I know how you are feeling as I am feeling it to lately! Athough it hasnt been too bad yet.. knock on wood!! My asthma hasnt kicked in yet so I am still exercising!

Welcome Carlie! - Waving to you from the south in Washington State! I agree with Linda! Keep it simple! I am still on induction and I am just about finished with my 5th week! I am exercising like a crazy woman so my weight loss isnt impressive, but My measurements are! I just put on a pair of size 14 jeans today fresh out of the dryer and they were hanging on me! It was almost embarassing because they were so big! But I wore them proudly!

WOO HOO Fulfig on the weight loss! WTG!!

Mia - hang in there! Again, try to keep it simple... Linda gives some really good advice. Eating the low carb snacks and treats stall me, so I am eating good old real food and doing very well!

I am doing well too. I just wish TOM would show himself so that I would lose some of this water weight! I know I am dropping pounds this week.. I can almost feel it you know? But I am being good and staying away from the scale! I am exercising like a crazy woman still.. 3 for 3 days so far this week!

Does anyone else sweat like there is no tomorrow when they exercise? I always would work up a sweat before, but since starting Atkins, I feel like a faucet!

Hugs to everyone!
Old 09-10-2003, 11:28 PM   #12  
thin within

hi miamariana. i would like to get all of it off before getting pregnant--at least 145 to 150 though. i have a daughter that is 4. my doctor has never told me that i needed to lose weight in order to get pregnant. i was 190 when i got pregnant before and gained 29 lbs, but had no complications. i had my daughter when i was six months short of turning 30. i'll be 34 in january. the health issue is my back. i had a disc removed in summer 96. i'm concerned that being older, having the extra weight might cause more pain this time. also, while breastfeeding, one cannot diet. my daughter nursed for 38 months. sooooo, i'd rather get it all off first, then eat really healthy and walk/exercise during the pregnancy, and hopefully be able to slowly get it off after delivering. i should have done this the first time, but didn't. if i get used to walking again, i'll be able to walk through the pregnancy and resume six to eight weeks after delivering. last time, i still had stitches at 8 weeks postpartum. i just want to be healthy for me and my family. my mother has a ton of health problems--congestive heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, gout, depression. she never had an issue with any of these until she hit her mid-forties. my two sisters and i are trying to take a much more proactive stance with our health. we are trying to get our weight down to prevent having the health problems that our mother has. supersized is my twin. she has been posting here recently. sorry the reply is so long. good luck!
Old 09-11-2003, 12:26 AM   #13  
2nd time around-er

hi!

i am a newbie to this group, but not to Atkins. i have lost 50 lbs and have not felt this good in too many years to remember. this diet appears to be very good for me. my doctor has done a pretty thorough lab workup on me, and everything was really good.

if i eat a lot of carbs now, i can't process it and i get either a really upset digestive system for hours or throw up. so i obviously feel much better when i'm eating Atkins.

i stalled out for a while, so went back on the Induction less than a week ago. i've lost 4 lbs already so am quite happy and very motivated. the stall was started, i think, by eating too many of the sf goodies. they do taste great, but i think at least for me must be eaten very cautiously.

i am very glad to have found this group as i gear up for the next round of weight loss. your posts have given me a lot of useful information and encouragement. good luck to all of us!

hw: 240
cw: 189
gw: 155ish
Old 09-11-2003, 02:44 AM   #14  
Slimwithin

And a big YOO HOO to Yoohoo. Glad you joined us. Waving south.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Post Update Day 11

Well...so far so good. Running 100% so far after nearly 2 weeks. Karen, another crazy exercise woman right here And dare I say, I'm starting to like it. Every morning for an hour before work. This fact is still amazing me, I used to never be able to get up early and now it's so easy. As for the sweating thing, I'm a bit different. When I'm out of shape I didn't sweat much when I worked out but now that I'm getting stronger I sweat buckets. My dr. gave me a very long winded explantation of this but the summary seems to be that your body gets more efficient the better shape you're in. And it is weird but you can feel that you're losing, it's that melting feeling we had before. I'm waiting out the end of TOM and I know there's going to be a loss too.

So far down a couple pounds since starting the challenge and still losing regularly, happy dance, happy dance. And there's another keep it simple girl in the choir, that way it's a lot easier to see why you're stalling if that happens as well. And personally, I find it a lot easier to avoid the sweets if I'm losing, there's so much motivation to stay clean.

to all the new folks, and welcome to the forum. Carlie, yay another Taebo person, I'm a strong devotee myself. So what are everyone's goals for the challenge? Fullfig congrats on the big 10.

Tummy