Old 07-06-2003, 11:18 AM   #1  

Talking LCFS..week of 7-6

Good morning to you both!

I really blew it this weekend. I had lost 3 lbs. and I have gained them back again. I know you're not supposed to do this, but I just can't stand bacon & eggs every morning, so I've decided to add a carb breakfast every other morning and see how that goes. Sort of do phase 2.

DH & I went to a craft fair yesterday. There is a lady there every year who sells these gorgeous flowers and plants. Every year I buy at least 2 lily plants off of her, and this year was no exception. We just came in from planting them. One of the lilies already has flowers on it the color of raspberry sherbert. The other one has buds on it, but no flowers. The picture on the pot shows a flower with a white blossom with pink around the edges.

nikki, did you get that storm? When I read your last post about the weird weather, sky, and the way your animals were acting, alarm bells were going off in my head! Hope everything is ok. That weather came our way yesterday, but it had lost a lot of its strength by the time it reached here. We never saw a drop of rain. It is still hot and humid. I did get in swimming Sat. Very refreshing. Did you have a god 4th and did you get to see the fireworks? At night we ran the a/c, fan, and had the TV on HSN, of course all night and that kept out the noise so that we didn't hear a thing all night long, well, except for the air raid siren our neighbors, who are total jerks, and I am being kind by calling them jerks, like to sound off every 4th of July and on Labor Day weekend. But thankfully it didn't bother Lacee at all.

ANNE, is it still hot in Toronto? Did you get any storms Sat.? Hope you weekend is going well.

Take care and have a great day.
Aleka
Old 07-06-2003, 12:07 PM   #2  

Hi,
Sounds like you had a good weekend Aleka. We didn't get a bad storm after all, I was so thankful. The rain held off till after midnight when it was cooler and I think that helped out. We did watch the fireworks, from our back patio. I fell asleep and DH woke me up and told me to come out back. It was better than if we had gone up town. We live on a hill and got to see them above the tree line. It was the best show they've had in years.
I've not been exactly OP with this diet either. Right now, I'm drinking a Snapple Diet Ice. It's made with a variety of fruit juices and equal. I really like it and there's only 25 calories in 20 oz. I had eggs and ham for breakfast, can't find any fat free ham either. So, I guess for me, the diet is a guideline and I'm doing more of a low carb thing than anything, just incorporating lower fat or better fats, like olive oil and reduced fat cheese. I've lost 5 lbs this past week and 2% body fat. Part of the reason is, I've increased the amount of exercise I've been doing. I really want to get below 200 by August or the end of August. I lost and gained the last 10 lbs so many times, I can't count. Hopefully this time they really aren't coming back. I've lost inches everywhere, but my lower abs, which stubbornly refuses to get smaller.
We got another shower this morning and it's finally cooled off. I've still got the ac going, the humidity is still up there.
I saw Walmart has those little yellow lilies on sale now, can't remember the name, their fairly common. Think I'll plant about 10 next to the driveway in the rockgarden. It's a big space and could use some color and something to make it look pretty.
Aleka, DH won't let me watch any shopping channel, he either complains loudly, leaves the room or asks me how much I've put on the credit card (I don't always want to answer that one ). I did order another Tony Pony. My hair is now exactly the color of medium blonde and it's not as thin as before so I think it will be much better.
Anne, hope your doing ok and things are going well for you and your family.
Take care, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 07-06-2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:22 PM   #3  

Good Morning Ladies:
Hope you both had a great fouth of July celebration

Our weather is hot hot hot Aleka, don't worry about those
three pounds, happens to all of us.

Nikkic, I do still use my gazelle but not as much as I would like,
I do walk a few miles each day though......every little bit helps.

I bought quite a few DVD's this weekend. We bought the
Mr. Bean television series. My kids get a real laugh out of that
guy!! Some of the episodes are pretty funny.

I also bought Driving Miss Daisy, Donovan's Reef, The Best
of Steve Martin on Saturday Night Live..... soooooo my credit
card bill ain't going to look too good either

Enjoy your Sunday Ladies!!

Anne.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:38 AM   #4  

Angry A good Mon. morning to you....

It has cooled off a bit. We finally have been able to turn off the a/cs and open up the windows. I think we are in for a delightful first half of the week.

ANNE, I love Mr. Bean! We used to get the British comedy shows on PBS Sat. nights. Unfortunately they have stopped doing that. My other two favorites are Keeping Up Appearances, and Are You Being Served. I saw on TV that Rowan Atkinson is in a new movie, an bumbling James Bond type movie. Have a good work week. How is Suzanne's woe coming along?

nikki, glad that you enjoyed the fireworks. Our town doesn't have them, but the town next to us used to shoot fireworks on one of the beaches and we used to be able to sit on our dock and watch them. They had to stop because they were not able to use that beach anymore, plus there was something to do with insurance. So...no more fireworks. Way to go on your weight loss! 5 lbs. is fantastic! Glad that you hair is starting to grow back. I think we can do this woe. Last night for dinner I made Suzanne's lasagna w/egg crepes. DH & I really like that dish. That's a relief you didn't get that storm.

Take care and have a good day!
Aleka
Old 07-07-2003, 09:58 AM   #5  

HI!
We use to love Mr. Bean. I miss seeing him, he really cracks me up. I also love Are you being Served (especially the old ones) and Keeping up Appearances. We get BBC America, so I still watch those and also Absolutely Fabulous, but they repeat those over and over and I know them by heart. When I was a kid, we watched Upstairs Downstairs (Masterpiece Theater) on PBS, anybody remember that? I wish I could get that miniseries, I really liked that too. PBS has a lot of great programs.
I made lasagna last night too! But, I used zucchini in place of noodles. I finally figured out how to make them without having a pan full of liquid. I used my mandolin and cut them really thin, salted them and let them drain for 15 then cooked them in boiling water for 2 min and blotted them dry. It turned out perfect. I think I'll have more zucchini than I know what to do with, the plants look like something from a science fiction movie, they are huge, even for zucchini, everything is. DH says it looks like we live in Alaska. I think it's the vitamins I've been giving them plus the Miracle grow.
It's rained every night this week, but hot, humid and sunny in the day. At least the early morning is cool and that's when I try to get out in the yard and get as much done as I can.
Aleka, do you still like your Tony tail? Some ladies on HSN's board says theirs turned into a mess after a month. I was wondering if they just didn't wash them, they were in too much wind or if that's the way they are made. My hair clips still look good and I wore them while camping everyday.
Got to get going and finish cleaning the house, have a good day, Nikki
Old 07-08-2003, 07:31 AM   #6  

Good Morning Everyone!

It is hot and humid here in Toronto. I really don't like this
sticky stuff too much.

Aleka, Suzanne's plan is going fine for me. I keep chipping away
at it and bit by bit I am shrinking. I find this diet is perfectly
suited to me. I love my breakfast I eat a fruit meal followed 20
minutes later by my all bran.

The lunch's are easy for me to pack too. I take eggs with
Sommersized Ketchup, Tuna Salad, little chunks of cheese
and that keeps me going........

Nikkic, you are doing fabulous!! That is so great.

I was so tempted this morning to buy more cosmetics from the
Shopping Channel. I really have to quit watching that!!!
There was a line from a artist called Mario De Luigi, have you
folks seen him?

Anne.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:36 AM   #7  

Hi,
More storms here, very hot and humid. We haven't gotten any rain for a few days, just black skies, thunder and lightening. I'm picking vegetables like mad and wish you guys were closer so I could give you some.
Anne, I'm glad your enjoying your woe. I may try it again someday. I'm still thinking about just drinking fresh juice for awhile. I keep reading all the benefits to eating/drinking raw food.
Are you still using coconut oil? I read about that yesterday again in some womans magazine. They were saying that since it doesn't change with heat (up to 350 degrees) that it's good to use for baking and frying. Sound like a good idea. I still can't find it anywhere.
Have you tried Estee ketchup? I love Suzannes, but it's so expensive. I can buy Estee sugar free at the grocery store and it's only 2.99 a bottle. That's higher than Heinz but a lot cheaper than Suzannes. It's almost as good tasting as Suzannes, but it's thicker. I use ketchup to make french dressing and in some recipes alot.
I haven't heard of that makeup person. They sure can make it sound like you'll look like a different person if you buy their stuff. I have bought drawers full of it and I still look like me when I get done putting it on. I've decided that I can buy makeup that is just as good at Walmart, minus the fancy packaging. This is what I do anymore when I want something like that. The next time I go to Walmart, I let myself look at the makeup and give myself permission to buy all that I want. I find I can buy a lot for what it would cost for just the foundation from those tv channels. For some reason when I'm buying it in person, and I'm faced with the reality of what it costs, I don't want to spend that much. Sometimes, I don't buy anything. But when I'm watching tv and using my credit card, it's like it's not even real and I can buy hundreds of dollars worth of stuff without batting an eye. So, I've pretty much stopped watching those channels and that was hard at first, I was pretty addicted to it. I could tell you all about the hosts, their kids and husbands names and what they had for supper last night. That's how much I use to watch. I do like to watch to see new ways to apply makeup and what the new colors are.
Have you tried Almays touch pad foundation? I swear, it's so natural looking and doesn't buildup and accentuate my wrinkles. It's great.
Hi Aleka, how's your lillies doing?
Got to get going and exercise, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 07-08-2003 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:17 AM   #8  

Angry Good morning...

It's still hot and humidhere too. We did have some showers go through late yesterday afternoon and they said we should expect the same today. They don't see any relief in sight until about Thurs. I am not complaining...especially after the terrible spring we had.

ANNE, I'm glad that SSzing is working for you. I really do like her woe, but the food combining and all the rules get to me after a while. I still use her recipes. I made her special sauce from her Fast & Easy book. I liked it, but DH didn't. I am still looking for the coconut oil. I haven't heard of that makeup person either.

nikki, my lilies are doing fine. The Sevin worked really well. I do have some flowers already. A few bloom around the first part of July, then others around the end of July/first part of Aug. I was into the SB diet forum in Prevention. Some people have skipped the 1st phase and started with the 2nd and they all have lost weight. I started phase 2 yesterday. I'm enjoying my cereal and fruit again.

Have a great day.
Aleka
Old 07-09-2003, 05:31 AM   #9  

Good Morning Everyone:
I am proud of myself, I resisted the urge to buy the cosmetics
from Shopping Channel. If you guys saw the amount of cosmetics
I had you'd faint. (very few bought from shopping channel)
I have three plastic boxes disigned for holding clothes stuffed!!
(not to mention a couple of drawers)
Mind you, some of this stuff I've had for years .........

Our weather has improved greatly today, I hope it lasts for a
couple of days before we are back in the steam!!!

This weather can be very hard on people. One of our neighbours
that lives across the road was found dead of a heart attack a
couple of days ago. What was shocking was he didn't appear
to have any risk factors. He was thin, did not smoke, and was
always working around outside. It was sad, he had no family
and both his parent have been dead for quite a few years. He suffered from Cerebral Palsy but could still walk with slight difficulty. He was somewhere in his 50's.

Well....better get ready for work girls!
Anne.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:11 AM   #10  

Good morning,
Anne, I am proud of you for resisting that makeup. If I can resist while they are showing it, I usually forget all about it in a little while. The power of the tv is truely something. I wouldn't be shocked at the makeup you have. I use to have a lot too, but I've thrown most of it away and am now down to a small bag. That time I got an eye lid infection I tossed everything out.
We've had shelters set up for the poor without ac. They only open them when it's over 90 something. Today it's in the 60's and still so humid that breathing is unbearable. We had rain last night and rain is still on the way. The next few days are suppose to be rain free. That is sad about your neighbor. It really is hard on people.
I went off my diet in a big way last night. Went to Sonic and had a coconut cream pie shake. I'm back on track this morning. I have not lost any weight in almost 6 days. In fact, I gained a pound 2 days ago. It's ok with me, when I lose too quickly, I feel like I'm really not doing my body any good.
I bought the new Firm system and it came yesterday. I just watched the first video while I was on the gazelle. I don't know, it sure looks like a lot of exercise. I'm going to try it tomorrow. I bought the old one last year and couldn't do it because my ankle wasn't as good as it is now. Even though it's not perfect, I'm 100% better than I use to be. I even surprised myself last week and went down the stairs walking like regular people, rather than taking one step at a time. It wasn't that I was scared, it was just painful and not possible before. Now I still walk funny, but it's so much better. I'm hoping the Firm video's will help me to strengthen my leg muscles even more.
Take care, Nikki
Old 07-10-2003, 06:07 PM   #11  

Good Evening All:
Nickic, that is so great that you finding it easier getting down
the stairs. Your weight loss and exercise have really paid off
for you

I am still on the coconut oil. So far it is keeping my temperature
up in the 98 degree plus range which is great. My temperature
is alittle on the low side still in the morning. I can't get myself
to take 3 tablespoons a day though. Too scared I am still
always thinking about the fat in this diet!!! mind you, this is by
far and away the best I have ever been able to control my
weight.

The ketsup I use is one Suzanne has in her Fast and East
cook book. Its pretty darn good too. Not expensive to make.
So many food articles and sauces I see on the web sites are
a fortune so there is no way I can buy them.

Nikkic, I am going to use the same plan as you with Shopping
Channel. Resist the temptation to impulse buy and the urge
will probably go away.

Hi Aleka!! hope you are well. Talk to you Friday ladies.
Anne.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:48 PM   #12  

Angry Good evening...

These past couple of days we have had computer woes. Our internet service was down. Aren't computers wonderful???

Yesterday a friend and I went out to lunch then to a summer theater production of Footloose. It was really great!

ANNE, sorry to hear about your neighbor. Glad that the coconut oil is keeping your temp normal. I'm still looking! Good for you for resisting the makeup. I have been watching HSN and have been resisting a lot of jewelry that I've seen. Has it cooled off where you are? We're getting some delightful Canadian air.

nikki, that's fantastic news about your ankle. The exercising and weight loss has really paid off! I'm not doing all that well in my diet dept. either. I blew it yesterday when I had a sandwich for lunch. But..I really wanted that sandwich! I have started walking again. Good luck with the firm videos and let us know how the videos work.

Have a good evening.
Aleka
Old 07-10-2003, 07:23 PM   #13  

Good Evening,
I did part of one of the Firm tapes this morning and didn't find it too hard this time. I just ran out of time to finish it, they are 1 hour long. Sure are a good workout though. I did do 30 min on the Gazelle. Would like to finish the tape this evening, but by this time, I'm just done for the day.
Had a busy day grocery shopping and cleaning. Wish I'd spent it outside, the weather is beautiful. Cool, dry, low humidity and a great breeze. You almost need a jacket. Tonight the low will be in the 50's and it will be just plain cold. It's suppose to be nice like this for several days now, so I'm really looking forward to really doing some garden stuff. Plants are getting cheaper and I thought I might look around for something to fill in that big rock garden finally.
Aleka, I don't think a sandwich is really blowing it. Just a slight deviation Besides, it really isn't like eating a whole bag of potato chips or peanut m&m's or something else really bad.
I bought a coffee grinder at Walmart today. Do either of you grind your own beans? I never realized the difference until I went to Walmart a few weeks ago and ground some beans for coffee and as soon as I got home, I made a pot. It was so good. The next day, the same coffee wasn't as good. So I decided I have got to start grinding my coffee fresh. It's a small indulgence for myself.
Anne, after going on and on about not buying stuff from the shopping channels, I went and ordered a $200 set of cz rings last night. I was just flipping through the channels and there they were, so pretty and shiney. Of course this morning I couldn't get on the computer fast enough to cancel them. I have a real problem with those channels.
Take care, Nikki
Old 07-12-2003, 06:52 AM   #14  

Angry Good morning,

We had some much needed rain yesterday. It's amazing how we needed rain so badly when we had such a wet spring! They said it would clear up yesterday afternoon....it hasn't. Hopefully later on today.

My dog and I are going down to our summer cabin for 2 weeks tomorrow. My cousin is due then and I'll be spending those weeks with her. She has a cabin right behind me and we have such a good time. DH will be staying home so it will be just us girls. The cabin is just a hop..skip..and a jump from my house, so I will be coming home every day to shower. I will be checking in to see how you girls are doing.

We are having an ant problem. We think they have made a home in our coffee maker. We occasionally have seen ants crawling along the counter. Last night DH moved the coffee maker and a bazzillion ants started scattering around the counter top. I sprayed them with Windex. This morning I went to pour myself a cup of coffee and I noticed a bazzillion ants up against the coffee maker laying eggs!!! DH lifted the coffee maker and there were another million ants underneath it laying eggs, plus they were crawling all along the back. After we are done with our coffee he's going to take the coffee maker outside and blow some air into the bottom to see if he can get rid of the ants. I don't understand why we have this problem because we have Terminix come once a month to spray. I have never seen anything like this.

nikki, I think we are having your weather. I was in jeans and a sweatshirt yesterday and from the looks of it I will be in them again today. I also blew it last night. We went to our favorite seafood rest. and I had a feed of fried clams, which I have been dying for. I guess I'm not doing very well with this diet. I think phase 1 kind of screwed up my stomach. One day after bacon & eggs for breakfast I had acid reflux, and I've been feeling kinda ever since. Like you, I think I'll use Phase 2 as a guideline and keep it as low carb as possible. DH & I grind our own coffee beans. We have for quite a few years. Coffee does taste better when it's freshly ground. Did you finish the firm tape that you did yesterday? I am thinking about getting a Belly Dancing tape to try. I saw a couple of tapes for beginners in a catalog and one is for slimming down. At this point I'd be happy just to lose inches. Were you able to cancel those cz rings? I was watching HSN last night and they were selling the curly Toni Twist. I was tempted, but for the look I wanted I would have to buy 2 of them. I just did not like the look with just one. The hair looked rather sparse on it.

ANNE, how are you doing? Hope everything is well with you.

Have a great weekend.
Aleka
Old 07-12-2003, 11:00 AM   #15  

HI!
The weather has been perfect here, beautiful blue skies, low humidity, nice breeze and low 80's for temp. I've gotten a lot done outside and will be out there again today. Wish I could bottle some of this for the winter time.
Aleka, I get ants every summer in my kitchen. I buy ant traps and place them along the tops of the cabinets and the next day, the ants are gone. You can get them at Walmart, they're by the insecticide here. I've never had ants move into any of my small kitchen appliances, though. I had to laugh when I read you attacked them with windex. The first line of defense
Your vacation sounds like heaven to me. DH and I are fighting and I would love to get away for an all girls vacation for 2 weeks.
I bought one of those curly twists (send it back) and your right, one didn't look right. Besides, I figured like the orginal twist that I have, the hair would eventually look frazzled from being twisted over and over.
I'm trying the diet plan that came with the firm video's. It's not low carb, just low calorie and uses olive oil, nuts and flaxseed a lot. I went and really blew my diet yesterday. I was feeling stressed out and ticked off. So decided to try something new today. Well, it's not new really, but different. I can't do the whole firm video's. Today, I did 30 min and then watched the other 30 while doing the Gazelle. Boy, they are hard. I've read on their website that this is common and to just kept trying and eventually you can do the whole thing. One thing about it, these should last me years before I get good at them or bored. I'm still starting my day off with Body Flex. It's just a great way to get my lungs going and I feel like it helps to give me energy.
I admire you Anne for being able to stay with one diet for so long. I do worry about the amounts of fat and kinds of fat in that diet too. Have you had your cholesterol checked lately? I was just wondering what it would run when a person does that woe for a period of time. I know mine was ok when I was doing it. But I didn't do that woe for more than 4 months.
Got to get to the store and get some fruit. Take care, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 07-12-2003 at 01:39 PM.