Old 04-21-2003, 06:15 PM   #1  

Question Low Carb and SSRI's?

I have decided to really make a go of this atkins thing. I read in his book that there are some medications that may be contradictory to success on this diet. Is there anyone out there that has lost weight on Atkins and is also on a SSRI anti-depressant? I'd hate to keep filling up on meat and cheese and end up <gasp> gaining more weight.
Carrie
Old 04-22-2003, 05:36 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

What is an SSRI anti-depressant?

I will move this post to Low Carb! so it gets more exposure since it's really not a frequently asked question.

Nice to see another dog nut! See! I do read profiles.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:51 AM   #3  

Yes, I was doing Atkins and taking an SSRI. In fact, following Atkins has helped me get off the meds and be all around happier emotionally, mentally and physically. Don't be afraid that the plan will mess up your medicine, in fact, it will help you to be rid of it once and for all!
Old 04-22-2003, 09:11 AM   #4  
CatGal

I am also doing Atkins while on an antidepressant. Although I do not lose weight as quickly as I would like, I do lose weight. I think that the SSRIs inhibit ANY diet plan, just not Atkins.

I do feel a whole lot better mentaly AND physically while on Atkins. Give it a shot I am sure it will only make you feel better!
Gina
Old 04-22-2003, 01:00 PM   #5  

ruthxxx

SSRI stands for selective seretonin re-uptake inhibitor. It is a class of anti-depressants that is mentioned in the Atkin's book as interfering with weight loss on the low carb plan.

It made me wonder. There are so many people that have lost weight with atkins and so many people that are on these types of drugs. I wanted to see if it is weven worthwhile for me to go on the diet if I am taking this. Looking for anyone with experience.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:05 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

Thanks, muffingrrl. I am unfamiliar with anti-depressants - thank God!
As you see, there are at least two chicks doing low carb while taking the pills.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:17 PM   #7  

Default low carb/anitdepressants

I have previously been on the low carb diet and lost almost 40 lbs. After I had lost the weight I started taking paxil. I did eventually gain all the weight, plus more back; however, I do not know if the paxil played a part in it or not, because I went off the diet and did not exercise. I am now back on the diet and still taking paxil but at a much lower dose. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:57 PM   #8  

Casteel

I bet the paxil did play a part. Most anti-depressants have that wonderful little side effect. I did the same thing you did. I lost about forty pounds only I did it by exercising and making small adjustments to my diet. Then I started on Celexa, which has made me feel like I am alive again, but has helped gain back about twenty pounds.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:39 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

i've often wondered if taking buproprion [welbutrin] would help. it's a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, and it's an antidepressant but works on a different part of the neurochemistry than the SSRIs.

lots of people gain weight on the SSRIs, but they're also the folks who tend to eat carbs to make themselves feel better. carbs release the serotonin, giving the same effect as the SSRI.

sorry. i'm starting to babble at the end of a long day. and this is nothing but speculation.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:45 PM   #10  

NO! Babble on. <Babylon?> hmm. Anyway. What you are saying is interesting. Tell us more.
Carrie
Old 04-23-2003, 12:10 AM   #11  
Old Cackler

hey there carrie... as my last official act, i brought up one of the best threads on this topic we've ever had. the started by peach pit and asks the smart chicks a question.

just remember, though, that although most of the ladies got the principle right, they called welbutrin an SSRI, which it's not; it's a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. but giggles got it straight. and explained it all.

there are other newer antidepressants on the market, and they combine SSRIs with norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, and there might actually be an SSRI and dopamine reuptake inhibitor.

but bottom line, many people who eat too many carbs for their bodies to handle [a very individual thing] do this to control their mood. yep. hooks into addictions as well.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:33 AM   #12  

About the Paxil thing--Oh yeah, I gained an additional 40 pounds on top of baby weight right after I had my daughter. Although I needed it to survive every day, it didn't help me with my attempts at losing weight. Only when I completely turned myself over to low carb and not be afraid of it did I see the benefits. I intensively did Atkins for 3 months, and reduced my meds slowly through that time. I came through the other side med free and 25 pounds smaller. I have other medical issues that impede fast weight loss but I still do lose. I still follow Atkins now, just the maintenance plan. And I am still losing weight. And I am a lot happier! All of this after two long years battling anxiety disorder and I am more than thrilled to be where I am right now (and grateful, oh so grateful..)
Old 04-23-2003, 08:31 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

See! I told you that you'd get more responses if I moved it. This part of the LC Coop is busy!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:09 AM   #14  
CatGal

Default Me Too!

muffingrrl - I also take celexa. 40mg/day. Like I said in an earlier post I do lose weight on Atkins.

I did take Wellbutrin in addition to Effexor for a while and that worked well for me, but when I switched to Wellbutrin alone, I was incredibly naseus! But that was just me. I know people who do well on Wellbutrin alone.

Hang in there!
G
Old 04-23-2003, 12:09 PM   #15  

Oh COOl guys. Thanks. I am sooo happy that there is someone that has lost on atkins although taking the same meds as me! Okay, now I am really ready to work on this. It has been twenty four hours since my carb binge. That is going to be the last one.

Cool.

Carrie

And Ruthxxx- thanks for moving the thread. You rock.