Old 04-18-2003, 07:55 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default daily feather fluffing friday april 18

doncha just love alliteration??

HEY!!!!! WHERE IS EVERYONE?????

taz off with her new grandbaby? rachel and the kids? ruth and the dogs? and just where has debk been? her silence is not a good thing! and sonogranny... and well, the list can go on and on.

no work today, after a very tough week working with a project team that has no understanding of advance planning or sequencing of tasks. makes life a challenge.

but today's good friday, and i'm not working today. peachie's cooking easter dinner [i'm making sugar cookies for da boyz]

am dressed, have run the dishwasher, need to make the protein shake, go to the grocery store to get the ham [i get a free one which i'll give to peachie for sunday], then the gym.

and then???? who knows!!! probably taking mom to lunch, and i want to hit church at some point., and one of her friends had foot surgery adn should be visited.

and i need to work on knitting this other sock so i can actually wear them!!! They're turning out surprisingly well. a blue tweed in a lightweight cotton,. talk about a challenging first project for a very very very rusty, inexperienced knitter!!!!

love to all..

and let's hope i stay out of the chocolate,. yesterday wasn't the best protein day., nothing too awful, but not as good as it could have been
Old 04-18-2003, 08:12 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning, chickies! Thanks for cranking the coop open this morning, Jiff. Gee, why not just wear the one sock you have finished? You could start a Joisy Girl trend. I've changed my morning routine and don't get on the Net the minute I wake up due to having two very spoiled and bossy dogs!

Our doc appointment yesterday was not good. It's been confirmed that DH has skin cancer. He also has another growth on his scalp that has to be removed - not until May 8 because of the SARS epidemic. Needless to say he is pretty down about it and so am I. He even admits he is scared! Imagine that! Anyhow, we are trying to think positive thoughts and cram in as much fun as possible.

The doc was pleased with my latest blood sugar tests - HA1C is 6.1 now - but the old BP is 160/78. Stress maybe? What a concept! He also gave me poop about the Atkins diet, saying it was not a good diet for someone with a family history of colon cancer. Sheesh! Ya just can't win! I am going to check out the South Beach diet, I guess. In the meantime, I'm still avoiding carbs as much as possible. Are chocolate Easter bunnies carbs?

I had planned a very early trip to town for groceries today and then realized everything is closed because of Good Friday. Our local market is open so will have to make do there. We are having friends and two kids drop in on Sunday for dinner - is it drop in if you know they are coming? They are Portie owners too - they bought one of Hershey's pups over a year ago. Lucy will have a ball with her sister Bailey and Hershey will spend all her time interfering with the playing! The kids are hyper as heck and so are their parents so it should be an interesting and fun few hours. Dinner will be very simple as I am flipping pancakes that day after Church.

It's sunny, although cold, so I may get some more raking done this morning. The loons are back and doing the morning commute between the two lakes. You can practically set your clocks by them. I love those birds!

I'm fluffing up my feathers and starting up the day along with Jiff!
Old 04-18-2003, 08:57 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning Ladies

Rachel, your bunnies are adorable!!!

Thoughts for your hubby Ruth, and very happy that you caught it early!

Why isnt the Atkins diet good for someone who has a history of colon cancer? Im assuming it has something to do with fibre. I hadnt heard this before. My father had colon cancer 6 yrs ago and because of some very persistent doctors in southern ontario, he is still alive today

Here I thought I was getting thin for my health.....my uncle has breast cancer (yup, uncle) mom's found lumps in the past, but were thankfully nothing. Dad's had colin cancer, and had a pollup taken off this past november........I dont want to make things worse. I know staying heavy wont help matters either. Man!!

Alright, on to something more cheery......want to know why fireflies glow?? http://www.msnbc.com/news/900836.asp?cp1=1 now you know what those little lights are up to on summer nights

Finally we had some good sales yesterday at the store.....very promising!! More stock came in, got our bear breath soap, and moose juice soap, and the book, "have you ever seen a moose take a bath?" My fav shipment so far this week lol We had some damaged soaps, so I called and had a credit applied, then brought it home....its actually really nice soap!

I still have a bit more cleaning to do today, then I'll be done Make up the cheese cake tonight, and get the turkey breast ready to pop into the oven. Tomorrow should be ok, not too stressful. Mom wants me to take her shopping for the day, so the time I would normally be home cooking, I'll be out shopping.....very busy day tomorrow. But it will be good to see everyone.

Have a good one everybody!

Robin

Last edited by RobinH; 04-18-2003 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:54 AM   #4  

Good Morning everyone!

I had a pleasant sleep last night--first one ina long while. M is still sick to her stomach, but she's pumped full of meds and feeling somewhat better. Today they are having a huge Easter egg hunt at the fairgrounds for kids between 3 and 8 years old. get this, a very nice man bought 3000 chocolate eggs, out of his own pocket, to host the event! The generosity of some people really astounds me, you know? It starts at 11 and it's only 5 minutes up the road so we're hoping M will stand it for 10 minutes and then back into the car to go home. She's still kind of weak and just happy being a couch potato today. I hope she's feeling good enough to go to her cousin's birthday party tomorrow, if not, she's home with Daddy.

As for me, I might as well be a couch potato, I'm still in jammies and a bathrobe!

Rachel, you have very cute bunnies!

Robin, I think the moose juice soap is neat.

Ruthie ((HUGs)) I'm praying for you and Harry

Jiff, is knitting hard? (this coming from a woman who only knows crocheting but not a stick of knitting )

Miss, don't get discouraged hon, the plan is not a contest nor is it something to beat yourself up over. We have all fallen multiple times but it takes a real woman with courage to get up every day and start over again. Every day is a fresh gift, and what you do with it is what counts. Don't look at what you DID, look at what you WILL DO. Count the positives in your life and you will feel more empowered to continue on this journey. Blessings and strength to you ~*~*~*~

Have a wonderful Good Friday everyone!
Old 04-18-2003, 11:44 AM   #5  

Happy GOOD FRIDAY to all!
Old 04-18-2003, 12:00 PM   #6  

Needed to add this gem! You can see why am the most dedicated soccer mom! Love these boys!

Darren 7 years old, Don 10 years old

Last edited by DonDar; 04-18-2003 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #7  
Hang In There

Pooky YES!!! knitting is hard. I've been able to crochet forever, but never got the old knitting down. MIL tried to teach me (she taught me how to crochet) and I've tried many othet times. I'll just send all my thread and patterns to Jiff and let her whip em out for me.

Nothing much happening here. I am at work. Ole Alvin's such a mean boss, makes us work on Good Friday, and Good Saturday too!!! Oh well

I managed to make it to the health club 4 day this week and rode my bike four days (not necessaril the same four) so that's a start. Next week I plan to get back to my Oxycise.

Did I tell you about the silent auct5ion I went to last Monday? I don't remember if I did, and I'm too lazy to go back and check it out. anyway the only item I got was are you ready for this? A dessert a week for a YEAR!!!

Just what we need right? Don't know for sure when it will start, but they are to be homemade from a lady whos said to be a great cook.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:33 PM   #8  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Jenny...have the girls started calling for those handsome boys yet?

Pooky, I used to crochet alot too, and took up knitting when I worked at LewisCraft. There are some really easy patterns to start with. If you have a LewisCraft close by, stop in, the ladies are usually really helpful, or see if they have a learn to knit class...I know they used to have them, but that was a long time ago.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:38 PM   #9  

Hello to all!

Still hanging around I am--just not OP!! Monday Monday......always Monday right? Thanks Pooky for your words-I've been really needing some encouragment!
DonDar--Beautiful Boys!! I'm allowed to say that right?? Beautiful--I know a couple of girls--a little younger--but maybe we could work something out in about 20 years....LOL!!
Rachel-yours are darling also! We got a good looking bunch here!
Ruth--Hugs and Prayers to you!
To everyone else --Hello and HAPPY EASTER!!
Taz-Congrats!! Enjoy that new baby!!!

See ya!

Miss D
Old 04-18-2003, 06:37 PM   #10  

Jenny, those boys are so cute! You're going to have to beat the girls off of them

I know there is a knitting class offered at the local yarn store but I really have been so chicken to go in and learn (never mind find the time). Maybe when things calm down in a while, after all, I do need to start knitting for my new nephew due in September!

Miss, glad I could help!

M is feeling better and it looks like she can go to the party tomorrow. Better yet, she toughed it out and got herself 24 chocolate easter eggs at the hunt today. So cute watching all the little ones gather up the eggs!
Old 04-18-2003, 07:42 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

Just love reading about all this busy stuff.. miree and her eggs - what an effort to do while under the weather!!! AND jenny's oh so handsome boys...

ruth... everything will be fine with harry. he seems to be in good hands, and he has YOU fussing over him. now, how about you and your BP??? hMMMMM??????

and pooky and barb [will you share any of the chocolate or lemon desserts????] since i learned the european style of knitting, rather than the US way, knitting has been easier and the tension and gauge have been far more consistent and RIGHT. in US, you hold the thread in your right hand and literally throw it over the right hand needle. fouls me up every time. in the european style [aka continental], you hold the yarn in your left hand and kind of catch the right hand needle in it, much like crotcheting.

much easier for me to handle. and faster, too. i'm finding crochet too hard on my right thumb, the one i cracked when i caught it in a baritone case in high school.

have fun, ladies...
Old 04-18-2003, 09:01 PM   #12  
Slimwithin

Jiff, I knit N. American style but I remember watching my German SIL knitting the European way. Man, her fingers could fly but for some reason I've never been able to master it. Right now I'm working on a baby outfit for #2 daughter's upcoming blessed event. It's really hard on my thumbs. I have chronic tendinitis in the base of each thumb and the pain is something else! I think I may switch to crochet for my next project...or sewing which is even easier on the hands.
Ruth, I've e-mailed you so you know my thoughts and prayers are with you and Harry. Why don't you join me on the South Beach Plan? There's more carbs allowed but only low glycemic index carbs. I'm hoping for the best.
Thanks for the tip about Lewscraft. I'm going to contact our local shop and see if they can recommend someone to mend a hole in a family heirloom baby shawl my mother knit for my first baby. I want to be able to pass it along to #2 daughter in good shape.
Gotta go and watch my Canucks in their do-or-die attempt to stay in the hockey play-offs. If they lose to St. Louis tonight, they are out.