Old 01-27-2003, 04:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/222/154

Height: 5'7"

Default I bit the bullet and joined "Curves".

I've only been to one workout so far... I just can't imagine that spending that half hour 3 times a week will get any results. I babysit my darling granddaughter the rest of the week so 3 times is the most I can get there but the people who run the place say that 3 times a week is all you need. I also bought an eliptical trainer from the home shopping channel so after that gets here maybe it'll help some. Anybody have any experience with Curves? Will 3 30 minute sessions a week do anything?
Old 01-27-2003, 06:33 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hey! New avatar!
Good for you, Nora! I am sure 3 times a week will do it. There is a Curves in Smiths Falls but the 1/2 hour drive each way is a deterrant for me. I have to get off this fat butt!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:09 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

am i reading this right??? nora??? what happened to you???? i've never been to curves, but some folks say that it really and trully does work.

you'll be our grand experiment!!! AND from doing those machines 3-4 times a week, i'm here to tell you that there is a difference already, and it's only been a month.

how's are the newlyweds doing?
Old 01-27-2003, 10:05 AM   #4  
CatGal

Default Well... I needed this post this morning!

I am so glad I read this today. I have an appointment at Curves on Thrusday nite, which I was all ready to cancel today because I am discouraged. I guess I will keep that appointment after all! 3x per week is all I am willing to commit to... and if I am so inclined to walk on my treadmill on the other days I will do that!

Please let us know how it goes and what you think! Hopefully, I will be joining you on Thursday!
Gina
Old 01-27-2003, 10:49 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Old 01-27-2003, 10:58 AM   #6  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Congrats Nora,
And 3x a week IS all you need. it is QUICK and fun. The women are "real "people and for the most part, you will get out of it what you put into it. There are always other people there when I go and like Jiff said, you will notice a difference within a month.

I personally have not weighted or mesured. The numbers make me obsess, so i go, sweat and leave feeling like it was a quickie.
-L
Old 01-27-2003, 01:09 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Something that tends to help a lot of people is making a commitment to exercise, once you get into the habit it is a lot harder to break.

Go 3 times a week, if you don't feel that is enough, add a little more, like maybe add a little extra outside of Curves.

Congrats for making the commitment
Old 01-27-2003, 06:06 PM   #8  

If you haven't been doing any form of exercise, then 3 times a week is enough to see some results. Also, if you feel 3 times isn't enough then just go more or work out for 40 minutes or whatever. They don't limit you or at least they don't at my Curves. The whole thing is kind of at you own pace. You can workout as heavy or light at you want.

I do notice that when I go regularly I do feel great, stronger and see changes in my body. Unfortunately, I'm not a regular kinda gal. Life gets in the way PLUS, procrastination is my middle name.

Kel
Old 01-27-2003, 09:07 PM   #9  

Default Curves cost?????

Ok, this is going to sound HORRIBLY tacky, but how much does Curves charge? They just opened one up a few miles from my house and I would like to find out about it, however after being hit in the face with an $800 joining fee and $100 a month when we checked out the local World Gym I am a little scared to even go in. My husband wants to do Krav Maga and the local academy there is only $80 a month and no contracts however although I used to run 6 days a week and body build, that's years in the past and a herniated disk to boot.
So, if I'm not asking too much, what are the fee's like?

I've been on the induction 8 days today and most of them in a house filled iwth cookies, candies and other carbs. I havn't cheated and I think I am doing well. However, I cannot get enough water even at 125 oz a day. My lips are cracking and I need help!!!!!! Any suggestions!

Thanks
SmithAnn
Old 01-27-2003, 09:41 PM   #10  

My local Curves wanted $149 membership fee and $40 a month. I can get a better deal thru work at a local gym with a pool. $34/month and $25 membership fee. I think prices vary at Curves though, the one I called just didn't have good hours. (9-11a and 3-6pm?? Don't their members work?)
Old 01-27-2003, 09:49 PM   #11  

No Joke!!!!!!!!!!
I think I will try the local Y and see what they have. I know they don't have a pool at the closest one but the proces aren't bad and the hours beat that.
I'm like you, who are they catering to?
Thanks I appreciate it!
SmithAnn
Old 01-27-2003, 10:50 PM   #12  

I joined my Curves when they 1st opened a year ago and they cut the sign up fee (I think I paid $30-$40) and the monthly fee is $29. I don't really know what they charge new people now. The hours are 6:30 a.m. until 12 noon, then 3:30 p.m. until 7:30. They are open Saturday mornings but closed on Sundays.

That is too bad that your local Curves is not a good deal and has lousy hours, Dyan. They won't make a go of it like that, I bet.

Kel
Old 01-27-2003, 11:47 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm a bit surprised about the price of world gym. If you want to join a regular gym, I would suggest you try a couple things.

1) Try going there yourself, seeing what the price is, and then walk away saying "I'll think about it". You might get a lower offer before you leave the door. That's what happened to me.

2) Try sending your husband alone to a gym have him get the price and then ask what the price is to add each family member.

I joined bally's a couple years ago, the buy in was approximately 700 dollars, which they financed over 3 years for 26 dollars a month. I paid it off. Then after that the monthly charge is 5 dollars a month. I figure they took one look at me and thought "she'll never come back"

I have heard and it is a high posibility that there might be some prejudice against you if you aren't "one of the beautiful skinny people" or maybe even just a woman.

Bally's people have always been really nice to me, and their gyms seem less crowded than other gyms I have tried.

Then there are also women's only gyms which cater to women and are a lot less prejudiced I think. Just have to try to see what works for you.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:28 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 275/222/154

Height: 5'7"

Ruth, the machines might be a bit much for your wrists but as soon as they're 100% you might want to go check it out. I dunno if it's a fluke or what but I'm down 4 pounds in one week and 2 visits!!!!! What's happening is that I eat a good breakfast at 4 a.m. and lunch at 11 a.m. and then go straight to curves right after work. So far, I haven't been starving (I usually have a snack waiting for me in the van that I packed that morning because I'm so hungry after work) and can make it all the way home to make supper. Lety's hope that continues. LOL!!

Jiff, it feels like it's working but I've only been twice. However, I'm the most gullible person I know. hahahahahaha!!!!!! No, really... check this out... if I have a headache, I'll take 2 aspirin or advil or whatever and within one minute I'll start to feel better. There's absolutely no way that could be physically possible but for me, it's true. I can talk myself into anything. The newlyweds are doing well, they have a nice apartment now. Sarah isn't following any kind of diet or exercise plan even though she knows how and has a treadmill. I don't know what it's going to take for her to realize how serious this is for her. Aw, geez. I'm whining again. I just love that kid so much... I feel totally helpless.

Gina, go!! I feel wonderful after a teensy time of only 30 minutes (see above for gullibility confession). Really, it does feel so good to do something so selfish and positive for yourself at the same time. I'm just so happy to be getting some exercise after doing nothing at all for all these years.
Thank you, Leens. Could you give Grcie a little hug for me, please? How about posting a pic of her nibness? She's such a dolly... (like her mama)

Thanks, L144S. It really does feel good. That alone is worth the money to me.

Thanks for the nice thoughts, Nelie. It feels great!!

Kel, I'm just so sick of having my weight be the centre of my stinking universe!!! I'm a terribly obsessive person. I was no fun to be around when I quit smoking... I talked everybody's ear off about it, it was all I thought about or talked about. Just like this stinking weight thing is now. I'm so bored with myself. It'll be such a relief to lose the weight so I can move onto my next obsession. LOL!!!

You're doing great, Smithann!!! Keep up the great work!!
Old 01-28-2003, 09:49 AM   #15  
CatGal

Default Well... My appointment is Thursday!

I am kind of dreading and looking forward to it at the same time. Should I go prepared to work out? Like a trial, or can I wear my business clothes straight from work?

I hope I can get a deal, that will be the deciding factor, I think.

I will report back once I make a decision.
Gina