Old 12-03-2002, 09:03 AM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Low Carb Freestyle Dec 3

Good morning ladies! I just stopped in to say hello. I am going to try and catch up on all old posts tonight. I haven't felt too much like doing anything lately, so I haven't been online much. My ovary isn't hurting much anymore, but I have a bladder infection and am depressed about the surgery. I'm kinda irritated about the infection, because when I went for my ultrasound I told the endo about the bladder symptoms and he didn't say a word. I called back yesterday and said "I'm having surgery with you on Thursday and I think I have a bladder infection." Of course they told me to come right in and they would do a UA. Now I am on medication for it, hopefully it will be over before surgery!

Ok, off for breakfast and a shower and another exciting (?) day at work!
Old 12-03-2002, 09:43 AM   #2  

Hi Everyone!

I'm sure I am missing some detail from yesterday's posts. I was pretty under the weather, but am up and at it today. I just get too tired to post sometimes. Now THAT is lazy!! ;0

Jennifer, I am hoping your infection is cleared by Thursday. It is soooo frustrating for the docs to not hear you when you are working with them. It will soon be over, though, and I hope that the results are for no more discomfort.

Anyone doing special things for Christmas? I'm trying to get gifts together and not spend too much. I do love all the shopping and making, but I have to be such a penny-pincher these days it is more challenge than fun. I wish there was a way to let people know they are special without all this!

Take care all! Su
Old 12-03-2002, 10:48 AM   #3  

Angry Good morning everyone,

ANNE, hope your stomach is feeling better. We are in the deep freeze here too. I heard the weatherperson say it was like mid-winter. The gusty winds make it seem even worse. We haven't had this cold of a Dec. in a very long time. Did you finish your Christmas shopping?

Nikki, I get Taste of Home too! I really like that magazine. I also get Light & Tasty, Quick Cooking, Country Woman, and Country. I really enjoy those magazines more than any others I get. Do you ever go into the HSN site? I got into their message boards, and were they ever bashing Shannon Smith, one of the show hosts. I couldn't believe the things they were saying about her. I don't know why people are so mean. They also were bashing some of Suzanne's products, especially her jewelry. Our weather can be a lot like your's. Sometimes in Dec. it stays in the 50's, and one Christmas it got to 20 deg. below 0 and stayed that way for about a week.

Hi mauvaisroux, Su, & Jennifer

I hope you all have a great day. Aleka
Old 12-03-2002, 11:57 AM   #4  
workin' my way back down

Jennifer....... I hope your infection clears up QUICK! I am on the 3rd different antibiotic for my UTI in the last 3 weeks...... my doc says that if the CIPRO doesn't work in 8 days he's gonna send me to a urologist....... ARGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!! I haven't had one of these in years, and now I remember why they're so darn awful! to you, girl!
Old 12-03-2002, 12:02 PM   #5  

Hi everybody,
Jennifer, I hope your feeling better real soon. You too, Samsgrandma.
Su, glad to hear from you.
Anne, hope your feeling better today.
Aleka, I have never visited their boards, I'm going to have to go check that out. I didn't even know they had one. I like to read people reviews of products before I order. I am impressed that they leave the bad ones up there as well as the good ones. Seems so much more honest than say, the ss board, that deletes anything negative. I get a lot of the same magazines too. You and I seem to be very similar.
I have lost 5 lbs. in the last 7 days. I know it is too much to lose in a week, so a few days ago, I increased the amount of food I am eating. Yesterday, I lost 1 lb. and this morning I'm down another 2 lbs. I have to say, I feel great. Full of energy and fitter everyday. I dug out my size 22 jeans last night and washed them up. Put them on and they fit! Still snug, but I can button the button and sit down, so I'm wearing them. The 24's were getting too baggy and I had to keep pulling them up.
I set my goal at 240 by Jan 1. I'm at 241 now, so I guess my goal will be 230. That is just amazing to me.
Have a wonderful day everybody, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 12-03-2002 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:41 PM   #6  

Hi Everyone:

Another freezer in Toronto!!!
Nikkic, you are doing FANTASTIC Do you think it is the
gazelle that has made such a difference for you?

I have just recevied my PP package. Its great. I am hoping
the structure will give me the boast I need. I am sitting tight
at 235 and I would love to see that needle move!!!

Jennifer, so sorry to hear you have been under the weather.

Aleka: Most of my shopping is done. I still have stocking
stuffers and things to buy. Sooooo expensive!!!

Su: It is a challenge to try to keep the price within reason.

Talk to you all later.
Anne.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:30 PM   #7  

Thank you Anne. I think it is 30 minutes on the gazelle, 35 minutes of cardio sculpt video (weight training with aerobics) every few days and then light workouts between. But the big difference for me has been, I dropped fat and dairy. I love them both, but was eating too much of them. I haven't really gone fat free, I just don't add fat to my meals. I still eat rib eye steaks and dark chicken meat. On Atkins you can have 2-3 oz of cream a day, I was drinking 1/2 cup. Cheese is also limited, I was eating all cheese meals, sometimes. I'm also eating less at each meal and I'm suppose to eat 5 meals a day, but that is too many. I felt like I was constantly getting ready to eat, eating or going to eat, so I changed to 4 bigger meals a day. I'm going to eat fat and dairy again, I just needed to back off for awhile and really look at what I was doing. Next time, I'll eat a piece of cheese instead of 10 pieces.
Aleka, you really started something when you told me about the boards on HSN. I spent a lot of time there today, reading. Very interesting stuff. I now have a place to ask other people questions about products I want to buy and maybe get some idea what it's like. I hate to send things back, the shipping is so expensive and I get embarassed at the post office. I tend to save everything up and send a bunch back all at once. I don't even want to think about what I spent on shipping stuff back last year.
Sure looks like lots of people don't like Shannon. I turn her off when she's on too. She irritates me to no end.

Last edited by nikkic; 12-03-2002 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:00 PM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hi everyone!

I haven't really started my Christmas shopping yet!

Jennifer-hope you are feeling better and good luck with the operation!

Nikki- way to go! You are doing really well!

Su-I am having an open house on Christmas eve. I have to do the menu planning this week and get all the groceries and wine this weekend before the Christmas rush gets really bad. I am going to shop for gifts at night during the week so it won't be so crowded. I may order some gifts from a catalogue too!

Aleka-I like the magazine Cooking Light-they have some great recipes!

Samsgrandma-I hope you get your medication sorted out and that your UTI clears up.

Well nothing new and exciting on my front so I'm am signing off!

BTW it is freezing here -27c with the wind chill! BRRRR!
Old 12-04-2002, 05:59 AM   #9  

Good Morning Everyone:

Nikkic, by cutting fat does that mean no oil, butter etc? Do you
broil your meats?
I know what you mean though, I quit buying nuts, we were all
overeating them like crazy!!!!
I have about 2 coffee's each morning and I put a capful of
cream in my coffee it might be a teaspoon or so.
The biggest mistake I have been making aside from the nuts
is not drinking my water. I have picked that habit back up.
On PP they keep stressing taking a potassium suppliment. Do
any of you gals bother with that?
Have a great day.
Anne.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:53 AM   #10  

Angry Good morning ladies,

When I posted yesterday I posted on our last thread, then I saw that it was transferred over to this thread, so I missed the posts before mine.

Jennifer, I hope that you're feeling better with your UTI. I have had my share of them, and they aren't very fun. Sometimes Drs. can be a pain. The OBGYN who did my hysterectomy had a rotten bedside manner, but was a good Dr. I also wanted to wish you good luck tomorrow with your surgery, and I will be thinking about you.

Samsgrandma, I hope your UTI clears up. I remember when I first had a UTI, I read that once you had one, you were prone to them.

ANNE, I don't take a potassium suppliment. Do they have a reason for suggesting take one? The PP you mentioned, is that Protein Power? If so, what is the PP pkg. you got? I do have the book and have been rereading it. I haven't decided whether or not to start doing it, because I'm finding it very difficult to do keep track of points & carbs at the same time, and I rack up points like crazy. Getting rid of the nuts is a good thing to do especially if it's a trigger food. I told DH to take the cashews to his mach. shop downstairs so that I wouldn't be tempted. Out of sight...out of mind!

mauvaisroux, I wouldn't have my Christmas shopping done either except I go shopping once a week with my BGF, and the stores are having fantastic sales each week I usually do my holiday shopping via catalog, but this year I only bought a couple of things, so I figured I saved a lot on s & h. Now I have to start on my Christmas cards....GROAN!!! I have bought Light & Tasty's 2002 recipes, but I haven't made anything yet.

nikki, you are really doing fantastic with your diet and exercise Speaking of the gazelle, I'm going to wait until the first of the year to see of Tony Little will have is newer gazelle on HSN. I visited the HSN boards yesterday, and someone mentioned about the Fantom Vacuum cleaner, and nobody had anything good to say about it. I bought one about 3-4 yrs. ago, and now I'm having continuous problems with it overheating and shutting itself off. I was thinking about buying another Fantom until I read those posts. Now I'm going to buy a Hoover. Shannon doesn't really bother me all that much. Sometimes I can just tune her out. But, when the remarks become personal, about something she can't help, it really bothers me. There is something about Lynn Murphy I don't care for, but I will watch her. Colleen & Callie are my favorites.

Su, glad that you're feeling better. No, DH & I won't be doing anything special. DH's parents are planning on being in FL for Christmas, both of my parents are gone, and the rest of our family lives out of state. We will spend a quiet day watching movies. What will you be doing? Business wasn't at all good this year in our machine shop, so we decided to go easy for Christmas, we are actually cutting some gift giving out. We've even decided not to give each other as much as we usually do because we'd like to go to FL in Feb./March to visit the IL's. I've been so happy that the stores around our area are having such great discounts on things.

Take care everyone and have a great day.
Aleka
Old 12-04-2002, 07:56 AM   #11  

Morning everyone,
Anne, I just quit adding fat, including butter and oil. Once or so a week, I will saute mushrooms in a tbsp. of butter, I love them like that, but that's about it. Like I said, I'm not fat free, just reduced. I broil or grill my meats, but I always did anyway, it is so much easier. I quit making cream sauces a long time ago. It was so much work and since you can't really use a thickener, just like pouring cream on stuff and having it run to the bottom of the bowl or platter. Just not worth the time or effort for what I was getting. Nuts are now out for me. I can't quit eating them. I know I should eat 1/4 cup or less, but then I add a few more and a few more and before I know it, it's 1/2 cup and by then, well, might as well eat all you want. At least that's what my brain says. I drink a lot of water now. When I exercise, I drink 60 oz in that hour alone. I am so thirsty.
I take potassium and a lot of other things. I had horrible leg cramps one night and was awake all night from them. Got potassium the next day and also started to take calcium with magnesium and vit d. From there, I started to take a lot of other things. Multivitamin, CoQ10, extra E, Joint Support (glucosimine and chondrotin), phosphadidly choline (it's for liver and brain support. I drank a lot of alcohol in the past, so I want to help my liver out as much as I can), Healthy Hair Skin and Nails ( has extra biotin, MSM, horsetail extract, etc. on a low carb diet, you are prone to hair lose and this helps to prevent it), Mental effort (Ginkgo plus other stuff, my memories shot), Womens Wellness (soy extracts), Fruit Full Anti Oxidants (all kinds of direvatives from fruits, since I don't eat many of them, but need the benefits) Circulation and Vein support (helps support the veins in the legs.
I also take extra fiber with Metamucil capsules. I never took a vitamin before in my life. I tried a couple of times, but just hated to take a pill everyday. Now I take about 30 different pills and wouldn't miss them. I do feel a lot different taking them, lots more energy. If I were just going to take a couple of things, I'd for sure take a multivitamin, potassium and calcium with vit d added. Also, extra b vitamins, for you Anne, would be worth it, your on the go so much.
Well, that's my deep, dark secret, I'm a vitamin junky. I spend way too much on them, but I figure, it's better than a fifth of whiskey every other day. When I was young, I never thought I'd live past 40. So I really did nothing to help myself and I lived like it was my last day on earth. That's fine if it is, but not everyday. Now, I'm trying to make up for years of self abuse. I can't change some things, but I can help my body be the best it can be right now.
Speaking of that, got to go exercise, Tony Little is calling, just wish he'd say something new once in awhile.
Later, Nikki
Old 12-04-2002, 08:10 AM   #12  

Aleka, You must have posted right before me. I was pretty po'd at some of those people on the HSN board when they were talking about Shannon talking out of the side of her mouth. I have the same problem. I was hit in the head when I was 2 and because of that, the right side of my face is "off". It's even worse than Shannons. People can be so small and ignorant sometimes. The thing that bugs me about her is she's always interrupting the guests. I think I watch HSN and QVC too much. We have a satillite dish with lots of channels, but there isn't that much on most of the time. I have to start reading more. It would definately cost less.
Do you know what happened to Kerry McNally and Kimberly Wells? I heard he's gone to NY to follow his stand up comedy career and she's also gone to do something else, but it seemed funny they left at the same time practically.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:28 AM   #13  

Hi Guys:

Nikkic: I have been getting these wicked charlie horses in the back of my legs right that wake me up at night do you think
potasium or the lack there of could be the reason? Come to
think about it when I broke my diet for the festivities on the weekend the cramps stopped cold!!!! Whats up with this?

Aleka: The PP package is indeed the protein power plan. I bought it used from ebay. It had a video, 4 tapes and 5 books.
I also have the paper back. Personally I find my new info easier
to follow. Because I am 235 I have to eat 40 gr of protein at each
meal. That translates into approx. 6 ounces of meat or 2 whole
eggs with four eggs whites added to that, you can eat a couple
of ounces of cheese per day. No hard fast rules on amount of
butter, nuts are 1 oz per day, MAN was I go over that in the last
couple of weeks!!!!

The reason for the potassium supliment is that the water acts as
a diuretic and flushes the potassium out of your system leaving
you short of this mineral, much like a water pill. I really had been
suffering from charlie horses each and every night!!!!!

I better go is around the corner and I don't want her to
catch me!!

Anne.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:00 AM   #14  

Anne, I really think it's a combo of potassium and calcium defiencey, but at least take some potassium. Since your probably not eating bananas, potatoes or other foods high in potassium, that's the reason you need a supplement. It will stop your charley horses. Potassium is necessary for so many functions in the body, including the heart muscle. I went to Walmart, they come in 99 mg. capsules. The amount to take is not carved in stone, some people take one, some take a lot more. Be conservative. Take one and if that doesn't help increase it to two. I take one in the morning, one at night. My Dr. said that was fine for me. In Dr. Atkins book, he says you need a lot more than 99 mg. a day, but he doesn't specify how much. I don't have any more leg cramps, so I think I'm just right.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:31 PM   #15  

Hi Everyone:

I got some bad news today. My dad went to his doctor and
his lung cancer has come back. He can not have any more
surgery so the doctor has scheduled him for a needle biopsy
January 7/03. From there he will be booked for radiation and
possibly chemo. When my dad asked the doctor what his
prognosis was the doctor said excellent because it is so small.
I hope he is being truthfull. Poor dad, he has been through
so much.

Nikkic, I have to tell you, I was a number one supplement junkie
for years.,,,, I ran out to GNC today and stocked up again!!!
I bought potassium, Vit B stress formula, Magnesium & Calcium,
Vit E & milk thistle.
Anne.