Old 11-29-2002, 08:20 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Friday November 29 - Turkey Day Plus One

Lots of sleepy chicks this morning, I guess. I hope it's not a carb hangover!

We have snow and cold and a woodstove that won't light - seems to me the wood we got is a bit green. We will be breaking up the walnut diningroom chairs to keep warm. We caught a mouse last night and the darn thing is still alive! Crisis after crisis and it's only 8:12!

Today Harry will learn to make pineapple cakes. He is an excellent cook but never quite grasped that baking is chemistry. Today he will learn level cups and tablespoons - I hope! I may have trouble keeping him from putting garlic in the icing!

Back in a few minutes - farmer friend Art is at the door. Maybe he will take care of the mouse!
Old 11-29-2002, 08:31 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning Ruth......think maybe they are all out shopping? Its the biggest shopping day of the year over here (I never new this, and grew up in a border town in canada) Congratulations on the new puppies!!!!!!!

As for the carb hangover, yes, I have one, and its not nice. I forgot how bad it feels.......like Ive drank an entire bottle of wine by myself. Sugar does strange things to a body....kept me awake until 3 this morn. Back to it today!

Its a busy day for me today, we are off to the store early......wanting to catch the early shoppers before they hit the malls. For some reason I didnt remember turning off the alarm at 630, we were hoping to get to the store for 8. Now the goal is for 9

Have a great day ladies!!
Robin
Old 11-29-2002, 09:18 AM   #3  
Senior Chicky

Angry Good Morning

And T.G.I.F. ~

Robin ~ I wish I had the patience to fight the crowds to take advantage of those great sales! I can't stand feeling closed in, so, I miss out! Hope you get lots of bargains!

Ruth ~ Yuck, a mouse! How's Hershey doing?

I'm over my pity party from last night. I guess the truth be told and I was actually a bit hurt that dh and I could've spent some time together! I haven't been walking around looking very pretty the last couple of weeks thanks to "things" and I made a special effort to look nice for him yesterday. Aw well, me thinks I deserve a pity party once in awhile! lol

Haven't decided if I'm going to spend the day doing much needed flylady stuff or get cleaned up and let dh kiss up to me all day! I'm so bad. But both the boys are gone for the weekend and it would be nice to just hang out together. I also need to run to the medical supply store and pick up more boobie stuff.

We didn't have as big of a turnout as ex pected yesterday so I do have lots of food to find room for.

Need more coffee - catch ya later!
Old 11-29-2002, 09:23 AM   #4  

Just a quick one for me this morning--I got dumped on last night--over a foot and a half of snow I dug my car out from, got stuck in my driveway, drove slow as a snail to get Miree to daycare and now I am at the Muskoka Family Focus head office covering for secretarial duties. So yeah, I'm now officially at "work" and typing out this post! All the schools are closed, kids are happy, parents aren't and it's a short day in the office for me. Leaving at noon just to make sure I get home!

Have a good one you chickies!
Old 11-29-2002, 09:30 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Back - Farmer Art dispatched the mouse! What a guy! He also carried in a load of good dry wood - a job that HArry really struggles with and one that I can't do with one arm at the moment.

Janice, you really deserved a pity party last night. Heck, if you can't hold one in the Coop where the heck can you hold one? I guess having all that food is a mixed blessing. Hope you can freeze it. I also hope the weekend is good for you - you deserve it.

Robin, I never knew it was a big shopping day either. Boy, we Canuks are really out of it! I am going to hit the mall next week and finish up - I love early opening stores except they are usually WalMart types and I need to get something reasonable classy for my sister.

According to Morna, Hershey is doing really well. She is feeding and caring for the pups ALL the time except for pee and food breaks. However, she is smart enough to get out of the whelping box and let them holler while she grabs a cat-nap or a dog-nap. Unlike some females, she will leave the pups to go upstairs and outside for her business but sure makes it quick. Some of the pups are "Irish Marked" - that means white ruffs and paws on some. I can hardly wait to see them but need to wait a few days - don't want to carry hospital germs to the wee critters.

OMG! 9:30! Off to crank up the day!
Old 11-29-2002, 10:21 AM   #6  
Mommy x 4

S/C/G: 230/160/150

Morning!

Congrats Ruthie, your a grandma again.LOL, I bet your busting to see those little pups, I would be!

No snow here, just Fog and Damp! Been busy doing xmas stuff STILL, and getting ready to go on holidays, gotta get my xmas cards mailed out today. I feel like I always running lately.

To all you other chicky's have a great day!
Old 11-29-2002, 11:37 AM   #7  
workin' my way back down

Morning chickies.......

whoever said it was absolutely right: the carb hangover from HE!!... my head hurts and my body aches...... however, I had promised myself that as a thanksgiving treat to myself, I would eat what I had cooked, expecially the soup, stuffing AND kasha........ not only did I OVERDO on them, but dd1 brought homemade brownies, and dd2 brought a homemade apple pie!!!!! need I say more? I sent home with the kids ALL of the leftovers except for 1 small portion of each thing for dh to have tonight.......
Now I must try to recuperate!

To our sick and recovering chickies: Ruth, J, Jennifer, waitaminute, i think I'm forgetting someone?? - all of you should be feeling gentle vibes of love and healing coming from Long Island right about now...... I hope they help get you better quick

Mew -- I've been remis...... welcome to our corner of the internet - you'll love us! (after all, what's not to love? AND, we all love your mom!)

Ruth...... mazel tov on the pups - 9?!?!? Wow! Sure wish I could get one, but puppies and Meryl don't mix...... now, if you hear of a young adult (not less than 2yrs) who is looking to own a nice "young"ISH gramma.......... I'm still on the lookout!

Robin, the only way I avoided the sleepless night is that I took a pill before I went to bed! I don't normally like them, but on occasion, they are an absolute necessity!

J - you absolutely are permitted a pity party any old time you want to have one!!! I think your idea of cleaning yourself up and letting dh suck up all day is a darn good one!

Pooky - I'm sorry you've got so much snow, but please DONT SHARE! - I'm really not a winter person

Meowna...... make sure you stop some of that running and make some time for yourself!!!

all you other wonderchickies out there........ xoxoxox......
Old 11-29-2002, 02:59 PM   #8  
Living Juicy

Wink

I am still pretty carb free yesterday. My hubby wasn't feeling too good so we didn't do what we were going to do. Just stayed home and he had a Marie Calendar's Turkey and Dressing dinner and I just had a big turkey salad with some cheese. So I saved myself from having too many carbs. Actually I think I had too much salad yesterday (if you know what I mean) I am running back and forth to the bathroom today. UGH. Not a good morning. I hope everyone else had a wonderful day yesterday and if you had too many carbs, get back on the wagon today!! We can do this!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 04:12 PM   #9  
Mommy x 4

S/C/G: 230/160/150

BLACK NOVEMBER!!!

When I was a young turkey,
new to the coop,
My big brother Tom
took me out on the stoop,
Then he sat me down,
and he spoke real slow,
And he told me there was
something that I just had to know.

His look and his tone
I will always remember,
When he told me of the horrors
of, well...... Black November!
Come about August,
now listen to me,
Each day you'll get six meals
instead of your three.
And soon you'll be thick,
where once you were thin,
and you'll grow a big rubbery
thing under your chin;

And then one morning,
when you're warm in your bed,
In comes the farmer's wife,
to hack off your head;
Then she'll pluck out all your
feathers until you're bald 'n pink,
And scoop out your insides
and leave you in the sink;
And then comes the worst part
he said not bluffing,
She'll spread your hind quarters
and pack your bottom with stuffing!

Well, the rest of his words
were too grim to repeat,
I sat on the stoop like a
winged piece of meat,
And decided on the spot
that to avoid being cooked,
I'd have to lay low to
remain overlooked.
I began a new diet of
nuts and granola,
High-roughage salads,
juice and diet cola;
And as they ate pastries,
chocolates and crepes,
I stayed in my room
doing Jane Fonda tapes.

I maintained my weight
of two pounds and a half,
And tried not to notice when
the bigger birds laughed;
But it was I who was
laughing, under my breath,
As they chomped and they
chewed, ever closer to death.
And sure enough when
Black November rolled around,
I was the last turkey left in
the Turkey compound;

So now I'm a pet in the
farmer's wife's lap;
I haven't a worry,
so I eat and I nap.
She held me today,
while sewing and humming,
And smiled at me and said
"Christmas is coming."

Ha Ha Ha, had to post this one, so appropriate!
Old 11-29-2002, 05:11 PM   #10  
Senior Chicky

Thumbs down

Thanks for the grins!!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 06:04 PM   #11  

ROFLMAO!!! Thanks Meowna!
Old 11-29-2002, 07:30 PM   #12  
Domestic Goddess

Hello to everyone that's already posted.

I was so busy today. Up and running around doing Christmas shopping. I got some great deals and most of the things that the kids really wanted. My MIL went with me and we had a good time. I get along very well with her and we had some good laugh's. Had lunch with her at a local streak house....salad bar and a nice juicy burger without the bun.

Thanksgiving was wonderful. The first Thanksgiving dinner that's I've ever fixed for my family. It turned out wonderful and I was so proud . I did a good job staying low carb. I had the things that I planned on and about 1/2 of a teaspoon of homemade cranberry relish. I made an extra turkey when DH and DS#1 go to deer camp later on next week I will make a few things from that instead of having to cook every night. Sort of like my time off too.

Glad to see that everyone is doing well.

I'll have to come back a little later if I have time and read the other posts. I'll see you guys for sure again tomorrow

Blassings to all. ChrissyB
Old 11-29-2002, 10:24 PM   #13  
Hang In There

Default Duhhhh...

How do you spell relief? I need to know I have eaten wayyy too much. but I did have a good three days. Our lunch at work was a big sucess, and had a good time at my Mom's yesterday. Today was my annual start the Christmas decorating day. I put my main tree in our den this year. I have also put a tree in our bedroom and our "antique" room. (I have the furniture that belonged to my great grandparents )They are just small trees on tables. I also bout a real tree to go in my living room. It's on a table too, but it reaches the ceiling. I haven't started decorating it yet. I just got it today and I want to give it time to droop.

Tomorrow will be soon enough to start back on my lc's.
Old 11-29-2002, 11:22 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

Default busy busy ladies!!!!

so proud granma ruthie, when do we get to see pics??? so happy about the healthy mom and pups...

and janice. you certainly deserve a pity party and he should WORSHIP the ground you walk on!!!!!

peachie's thanksgiving dinner was lovely yesterday. she makes a great turkey. and it was the easiest thing in the world to clean up!!! all those boston market containers made life easier. and we've all decided: when it's just us, NO MORE PUMPKIN PIE!!! none of us really likes it [other family members do, but they weren't there!!!]

so there was mom, with a bowl of apple crisp and ice cream. and we turned our back, and there was the bowl filled with half and half!!! what a woman!!!! not that she could finish her dinner, ya know, but she ate every bite of dessert.

and i REFUSE to join those early morning shoppers. it's inhuman!! of course, we shopped, but later. in fact, we went to the short hills mall [remember???] and didn't run into that woman who sat on peachie.

but first a stop in a toy store to pick up somethiing for peachie's boys. and when we got it home, one of them didn't work. so i returned it [only a half hour away!!!!]. and on the way back, i OFFICIALLY JOINED THE HEALTH SPA!!!! it was inevitable. so, tomorrow, i'll toodle over there with my old ugly bathing suit, and swim.

and of course i ordered a new one from junonia on line, but it won't be here until next week. it's olive green, not the best color for me, but it was 25% off, and it won't be with me forever.

my email has been struck by a virus.. and i don't know where to start. i'll probably lug the laptop to work and let the computer wizards have at it. but a new one is another inevitable purchase. just not in the mood right now.

am i the only one not suffering from carb overload??? debk??? are you ok??? maybe this surgery is a blessing in disguise!!! i really wanted to eat more yesterday, but it just wasn't going to happen.

chrissie: it's surprising that with a family as big as yours that this is the first thanksgiving dinner you've made!! lots of visiting over the years, i guess.

and welcome back barb and samnrosies granma... glad you ahd a good time. and your house sounds gorgeous, barb. take a pic or two??? please??

and meowna. thanks for the poem. made me laugh!!!

pooky. too bad the family center doesn't pay you! with all that you do for them... but that's ok. you're doing great. but please PLEASE keep that snow up there!!!! we had a generous dusting the other day, and that's quite enough for me!!!!!

happy hannukah ya'll!!!!