Hi Everyone!
I'm back at work now so I have been working hard to
catch up!

Nikkic, I am glad to hear you are feeling better. Stomach flu
is the worst I always hate when one of my kids comes down
with that because I know I'm doomed!

Way to go Aleka!!! six pounds gone, yes! I have printed
the post from suzanne's site and I will read it on the way home
on my loooong subway ride back to the burbs.

I am really trying to drink my water this week. It is much harder
now that the weather is cool.

Jennifer, I agree it is so much fun to go out to these concerts. It really gave me a lift. Last time I was out to a concert before these two was when I won tickets to an oldie concert that had
the turtles, gary puckett, mickie dolenz, peter noone, etc. It was
a blast too!!!

Talk to you all later!
Anne.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:15 PM   #47  
Yak

Hello Everyone!! Sorry I haven't been back here very often but work and home have been nuts. I really need to be here often!!
I finished off my first week back on track. I lost 3 pounds but I know that's mostly water. I did have a cheat on Saturday night when I had tortillas with my fajitas. I wasn't gona, but ohhhh my, they looked so good and they were. But I have been back on track since. Usually when I have a cheat, I just keep it up. Not this time. Felt good.

Aleka-congrats on the loss. WooHoo!!

Anne-WOW, Stones concert..that would be awesome!! The only concert I have ever been to was Bob Seger years ago.

Nikki-hope you are feeling better. That 5 lbs will melt right off you! You are right, the SS official site is a good site for info, but....different. Friendly but yet distant. Does that make sense?

Su-Congrats on the loss!

Hi Amanda, I am new too. Not new to SSing, but to this board. Welcome!!

Hi also to Jennifer, Mauvaisroux, Ruth and anyone else I may have forgotten. I sure hope not. I better go get supper ready. Put a roast in the crock pot this morning and the smell is getting to me. I put potatoes in it this afternoon for the rest of the family. Will the starch from the potatoes get into the roast?? I hope not. Better run. Bye for now.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:35 PM   #48  

I am making a pot roast for dinner tomorrow. What kinds of veggies should I put in there now that potatoes and carrots are out? (Thanks Kay for reminding me of this, glad to see your still around. I had the same thing for supper on Saturday with the tortillas, it was good, but I was miserable later.)
I bought some brussel sprouts and zucchini, but somehow that sounds just gross. I will of course add onion and celery, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Cauliflower, bussel sprouts, onions and celery? I wanted to get turnips, but they looked really bad. Thanks for any help you guys.

PS-I find that what disturbs me the most about the sommersize site is that threads disappear when they question sommersizing in anyway. I know it's her site and there to promote her products, but it seems wrong to me.

Last edited by nikkic; 10-22-2002 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:06 PM   #49  
WW Moderator

Hi guys! Nikki, how about wedges of cabbage? I don't think I would cook the length of the roast, but it might be good cooked until limp. Is jicama allowed with your plan? I haven't tried it, but would like to. Also some fresh green beans might be good.

As for the Gwaltney Hardwood Smoked Bacon, I bought it at Krogers.

Yak, nice going! It isn't easy to stay off carbs after a slip. Good for you.

Aleka, good for you! You keep it up and you will feel soooo good at Christmas time.

Welcome Amanda! Good luck on SB, I have read lots of success stories with that plan.

That's all for now! Have a nice night!

Another Gazelle question...they have Gazelle Edge at K-Mart for 99 bucks. Anybody tried one? I didn't see reference to Tony Little on the box, but I read on a site today, I think it was FitnessQuest, that it was the original Gazelle, minus the 1-800 support number, the eating plan book and the video. Is this right?
Old 10-22-2002, 09:28 PM   #50  

Thanks Jennifer, I do have cabbage and green beans. Anybody try it like that? I'm afraid DH is going to bulk at the no potatoes no carrots.
I'm sure it's the same gazelle and would be cheaper without the s&h that way. I knew they would have them in the stores if you just wait long enough. I just couldn't. BTW, I'm up to a comfortable 15 min. on mine and I'm still having fun with it. DH has now gotten on it too. I like using the tape for motivation and it helps to keep me on track. I bet you could buy used ones on ebay if you want one. They show the different movements, but the one your talking about probably has a booklet that discribes them too.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:11 PM   #51  
Yak

Nikki, I think cabbage and green beans would be excellent. I was out of cabbage tonight, but I'll try it next time. Thanks for the suggestion Jennifer! The next time I do mine I am leaving out the potatoes too. I just felt funny eating the meat knowing the potatoes were cooked in with it. STARCH!! Oh well, live and learn.

We got our bacon directly from the meat market. We bought a half of beef and a whole pig. Do you think they add nitrates and nitrites to the bacon when they smoke it? I wonder.

How are you all doing at getting the required water in each day. I don't care for water at all so I have to force myself. I do drink a lot of decaf coffee though.

Better get to bed, 4 o'clock comes too early!

Bye
Old 10-23-2002, 07:19 AM   #52  

Morning everyone,
Kay, I doubt you got too many starches that way, but I look at everything to see if there is any potato starch in it and then stay clear. I think the real problem comes when you eat a lot of it in lots of things. I am so envious of your meat supply. It is what I've always wanted to do, but never got DH to go along with it. He is afraid of, I don't know what. You'd have to ask your meat guy what he puts in there. Why do they put that stuff in there, is it to preserve the meat?

I'm going with onions, celery and green beans I think. What's the big deal, I won't be here to eat it anyway. DH #1 and I are going to see My Big Fat Greek Wedding and out for dinner tonight. At least that's the movie I want to see, we have to go out of town to search for a movie and I don't know where it is.

Talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 10-23-2002, 09:14 AM   #53  

Angry Hello everyone,

Woke up to snow this morning. Thankfully, only a dusting. The southern part of the state got the brunt of it. We were lucky

nikkic, what about turnip with your roast? If you can manage to get your celery root, that would be good also. Enjoy your evening out. Glad you are enjoying your Gazelle. That's great you're up to 15 min. Keep it up!

Jennifer, I'm not sure if jicama is allowed on SSzing. If you try it, please let us know how it is. I'd really like to try it.

Kay, congratulations on your weight loss. . I do have to confess that I don't get my water in. Sometimes it makes me gag. What I do like is Fruit 2-0, which is fruit flavored water sweetened w/Splenda. It's made by Very Fine. I drink a lot of that, plus I drink Waist Watcher diet soda made with Splenda and no caffiene. When I started WW they said any diet beverage that doesn't have caffiene in it can be counted as water. I have no idea if that included decaf coffee. Can you ask the man at the meat market if they put in nitrates while smoking? One diet book, out of many, recommended that for meat/chicken to eat free range stuff. That's what I look for now in the grocery store.

ANNE, Many years ago, DH was listening to Country Music, and we saw Alabama. They were awesome. The last rock concert we saw were 3 Dog Night, which was about 30 yrs. ago

Hi mauvaisroux & aces. Hope you're doing ok.

Aleka
Old 10-23-2002, 09:28 AM   #54  

Aleka,
The turnips in the store look aweful and I can't get celery root. Not even in Des Moines (our capital). I'm trapped in rural Iowa, arrgh!
I've decided on green beans, onions, celery and mushrooms. I'm going to make it tomorrow and let him have ham sandwiches tonight, he'll like that better anyway.
Jicima is ok on SS'ing. I've even seen on their boards where people deep fat fry it, or bake it like potato fries. I've not tried it that way, just raw. Can't say it's a favorite.

I can't see MBFGW, it's in a bad part of Des Moines that I won't drive in during the day, let alone at night. We're seeing The Ring instead.

Kay, go to www.suzannesomers.com, look under general discussion and then the thread super water hydration if you want to see what I have to say about water. I can't talk about water, I get too radical.

Talk to you later, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 10-23-2002 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:42 AM   #55  
WW Moderator

Nikki, would your husband be as happy with baked potato? Rob and Cody usually have a baked potato and I eat extra veggies. You could pour him a small cup of the juice, and he could use it as a dipping sauce for his potato.

I think I am definitely going to buy that Gazelle this afternoon. If not, then tonite after work. I need to get a rug in the living room before I can do the Leslie Sansone tapes ( I have wood floors in the house, and the vibration is AWFUL--think 'herd of buffalo') and I don't want to wait for us to have time to pick out a rug together. I NEED exercise.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:53 AM   #56  

Hi Jennifer,
I do fix him a "baked" potato in the microwave once in awhile. He isn't really dieting, but eats a lot of what I do. Plus several bowls of ice cream, sugar frosted flakes and donuts. Of course, he's losing weight faster than I am. Men.

I hope you like your Gazelle as much as I do. Anne, how are you doing on yours?

Nikki
Old 10-23-2002, 01:12 PM   #57  

Hi Everyone

Nikkic, I hate to admit it but I have gotten really lazy when it
comes to my gazelle. I know I could be doing much better than
I am if I would pull myself up by my boot straps!!! I do
walk over a mile a day though.

It is so funny because our entire conversation in the car this
morning was about vegtables. I like to make coleslaw with
purple cabbage myself.

I got my pictures back from the concert today. You can see
Mick but its tiny tiny tiny. I wonder if there is anyway I can have
Mick blown up bigger? Does anyone know if you can isolate
something from a picture and blow it up?

Anne.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:12 PM   #58  
Yak

Good Evening Ladies,

Nikki, I went to the site to see the water thread. Good point. Now I don't feel so bad not getting the water in. I have never thought I should drink half my weight in water. I do like to drink enough especially with all the protein I eat. I get somewhat nervous only having one kidney. But I think too much water would not be good either.

Aleka, thank you, I love that dancing banana. I bought a jicama once but never did eat it. Ended up throwing it away. Thought it might be good with some dip. I do like the Fruit 2-0 also, along with Diet Rite. We had about 4 inches of snow Sunday night. Still some on the ground. TOO early!!

Jennifer, do you like the Leslie Sansone tapes? I have looked at them on ebay, but haven't bought them yet.

Quick hello to everyone else.....gotta go pick up boys.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:26 PM   #59  
WW Moderator

Yak, I do like the tapes, but haven't done them all the way yet. We have an old house with hard wood floors, and it seems as if the house is one big floor with walls stuck here and there. When I walk, it is as if I am shaking the whole house! I never thought about that. We have to buy a rug and then I can do the tapes. I did watch them and they are livable. After a while I think I will get tired of her small talk, though, so will start listening to headphones then. It is peppy though, and she is likable. I bought mine on QVC.

Didn't make it to the store today to get the Gazelle, or the rug. We plan to go in the morning before I go to work.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:41 PM   #60  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Evening everyone!

I finally got to see My Big Fat Greek Wedding today. I went with my Mum and we had a really good time. The movie was really good-a sweet, funny, romantic comedy that to me didn't seem too far fetched. I really liked it. I am not a big fan of "chick flicks" but there are a couple that I have really enjoyed. A couple of other good ones were "Like Water For Chocolate" and "Chocolat".

Agg! It is almost midnight and I should really be in bed by now

Goodnight everyone!