Old 09-23-2002, 12:48 PM   #61  

Hi Everyone:
Beautiful day for the first day of fall in Toronto. Very cool this
morning. You gotta love it after the summer we had to endure.
Does anyone know if V-8 juice is allowed on a low carb regime?
I was thinking probably not because of the carrot juice in it.

I use to love to drink V-8 with cayenne pepper in it. Very hot
and spicy.

I am doing good with my gazelle. I watch T.V. while I am doing
my work out.

Aside from my jello and whipped cream twice a week I don't
eat dessert either. My problem is I want all of it.

I still don't understand the issue with caffeine. When I lost
my 100 pds at WW I used to drink all kinds of diet pepsi and
tea.

Have a great day everyone even if it is Monday!!

Anne.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:46 PM   #62  

HI,
I don't understand the caffiene thing either. Something about it causes the body to release insulin. I didn't have any problem cutting it out, the only caffiene I drank was tea. Decaf tastes the same to me. I was reading over at low carb friends that decaf tea has caffiene in it. They said, you have to get caffiene free tea instead. Well, hold on now. I am not giving up my decaf iced tea. I looked on the Luzianne box and it doesn't say it has caffiene in it, just that it's decaffienated naturally.
Also, what do you all think about nurtrasweet? I know everyone says you shouldn't eat it, because it is not good for the body. Plus a lot of people say it causes an insulin reaction. Still, I want sugar free jello. Is there any (jello) with splenda?
I've noticed today, that my shirt is fitting differently. I look slimer. I wish I'd taken measurements. Weight is still 260, but I haven't fluctuated in the last few days like I was. It helps not seeing the scale move up.
Nikki
Old 09-23-2002, 05:21 PM   #63  

Angry Hi,

I don't understand about the caffiene thing either. Some articles I've read say that caffiene is a dieters friend, as it raises your metabolism, and other's say give it up. From what I understand, caffiene in some people can make them hungry, so they'll eat more. I find that regular coffee fills me up. I don't know who or what to believe.

About the jello, I still eat it as it gives me something to snack on at night that's low calorie. I did see on the Suzanne's website, somebody mentioned "Jolly Roger" brand jello that is made with Splenda. I honestly don't know where they sell it. The thread was about WalMart, but I don't know if that's where you'll find it. I looked in a super WalMart store once when we out and about, but they didn't carry it.

Have a great evening everyone
Old 09-23-2002, 08:39 PM   #64  

Hi,
I searched the web for Jolly Rodger gelatin and that produced some interesting stuff, but nothing to do with gelatin. I then looked up gelatin. I read some aweful things about the source of gelatin, don't read it if you want to keep eating it. I looked up splenda and also knox gelatin, not too helpful. Looked under gelatin with splenda and found a really good looking website. They have a hugh amount of low carb food you can buy. It is all ok for Atkins, but you'd have to look around for legal ss'ing stuff. They list all of the ingredients for their products and it looks like the only sweetner is splenda. They didn't have a jello, but they had a gelatin recipe, you use knox gelatin and davinci's syrup, here's the recipe- http://www.lowcarbtreats.com/low-car...da-jello.html/ They sell low carb breads, but they aren't legal for ss'ing. The ketcups are a lot cheaper than Suzannes.
Aleka, I was reading about caffiene today. It looks like it is an individual thing. It has never had any effect on my losing weight. I just gave it up because I want to sleep better at night.
Later, Nikki
That's funny, when I typed it, the url had carb-splenda-jello. But when the post comes up, it says ca...nda Well, if you want to see the recipe, after the com type in /low-carb-splenda etc.
If you want to go to the home page it's http://www.synergydiet.com/index.html

Last edited by nikkic; 09-23-2002 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:39 AM   #65  

Angry Hello everybody,

We are finally getting cooler weather. Yesterday was our transisition day. It had been in the 80's and very humid. It's supposed to be in the 70's the rest of the week.

I almost forgot. I picked up this months issue of WW magazine, and there was an add in there for Walden Farms products. They have ketchup, salad dressing, chocolate syrup, & I believe maple syrup that has no calories, no sugar, and no carbs. I don't know if they sell these in the store. Their website is www.waldenfarms.com

ANNE D, I don't know about the V-8 juice. What are the list of ingredients on the label? Maybe if you went to Suzanne's website to the FAQ's maybe you can find out. I was in it the other day and the only thing that is down is the discussion board. That's great you are doing so well on your Gazelle.

nikkic, thank you for the info on the bread machine. I'm trying to get away from the store bought bread, because I'm having a hard time finding some reasonable priced bread without any sugar, or the hydrogenated (sp?) oils. I did see a bread machine in Target that I liked, but I'll also look in WalMart to compare machines and prices. I wish I knew where to find the Jolly Roger gelatin. I also tried the website but found nothing. As far as caffiene goes, I really haven't given it up entirely. I need my morning wakeup, but if I have coffee later in the day it's usually decaf.

Hi mauvaisroux, hope you are doing well.

Have a great day everyone. Aleka
Old 09-24-2002, 05:00 PM   #66  

Hi Everyone!

A real hectic day at work. I work in the Finance department
and month end is always crazy.

Our weather continues to be just gorgeous!!

On the subject of caffeine, to be honest with you I still drink
real coffee each morning so far so good, I don't beleive it
has affected my weight loss efforts yet at this point so I'm
going to go right on with my am coffee fix

I wish the Suzanne board would go back up. I have all the books
but I have not yet read any of them other than to breeze through
them. I hear there is a new one in the works too!! I better read
the ones I bought before spending any more cash!

I would like to read one of Dr. Atkins books too.
Nikkic does Dr. Atkins say anything about caffeine? As far as
I am concerned Dr. Atkins and Dr. Stillman were the pioneers of
low carb eating.

Aleka: Isn't the fall weather great!! I am glad to hear that so
cooler weather is finally making its way to you, what a summer!

Anne.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:24 AM   #67  

Angry Good morning,

Well, yesterday I joined WW, which I have decided to do low carb. I need the accountability to actually lose weight. If I know I have to face a scale each week, then I know I will really stick to something. She said that just as long as we stay within our point range that we can do this woe any way we want. It was funny, I never realized how much SSzing has been engrained (sp?) in my mind. When they mentioned potatoes, no fat salad dressings, no fat mayo, I just about cringed. Maybe I should get up there and lecture in what is good nutrition

ANNE D, I'm glad that you are still having good weather. Our's is great too. The sun is warm but the air is crisp and cool. Just how I like it after we get through summer. I love the hot weather, but have had it by the end of Aug. If you go into www.ivillage.com and click onto diets, you will go into their page on Diets A - Z. You click onto Atkins diet and they will give you a synopsis (sp?) of the diet, and what people think about the diet. It's really good if you are thinking about a plan and want to find out if it's right for you or not. Hope you have a less stressful day at work today. I used to be a keypunch/computer operator at a lumber store quite a few years ago, and at the end of the month all the statements had to be sent out and that was a BIG job. So, I can relate to your end of month stress.

Hi mauvaisroux, and nikkic

Take care and have a great day everyone. Aleka

Last edited by aleka; 09-25-2002 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:19 AM   #68  

HI everyone,
Aleka, I completely understand. You have to do what you think is going to help you and motivate you. It is funny how much ss'ing has become such a wol for me too. I keep trying to do Atkins, but I'm still food combining too.
Beautiful fall weather. I am so glad. We are still working on the garage everyday. DH is pretty disgusted with the new door he put in. It was perfectly plumb and now a week later, it isn't. The cement floor is cracked and we had a big rain. That moved the floor up a little bit, so now the door is out of plumb and won't shut. That is the way it is with old houses and old garages. We sure can't afford to pour a new floor. I don't know what we'll do about that. I usually keep that door open a few inches anyway, for the cats to go in and out of the garage.
I am getting definition in my arms, at least my forearms. I haven't seen this for a long time. I am really feeling so much stronger. When we first started on the garage, I could barely stay out there all day. Now I feel like I could keep going, even when we are finished for the day.
I go to see my orthopedic Dr. today. It's a routine visit, so he can make some more money, I think. I know I'm doing better than I was the last time I saw him.
Later, Nikki
PS- Anne, Atkins says no caffiene too. I've read on Low Carb Friends that alot of people still drink caffiene and they say it hasn't affected their weight loss. Atkins is really more of a natural kind of woe than you would think. I have always wondered how caffiene could really cause an insulin reaction. It's a chemical process that I don't think adds up, for some reason. I can't tell you why. I wish someone would say this happens in your body and that is why insulin is released. Atkins is pretty specific about somethings, but not this. I think it is definately moderation in all things and you have to do what you think is the best thing for you at the time.

Last edited by nikkic; 09-25-2002 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:53 PM   #69  

Hi Everyone:

Aleka, WW certainly helped me lose my 100 pounds a few years
back. Their program just gets better and better with the new
point system. I like that because of the freedom choice.

Nikkic, doesn't it feel great to feel stronger. I use to feel so
run down I think all the protein is energizing me! I walk
along with a real spring in my step now, I also feel alot more
rested in the morning.

Does Dr. Atkins put limits on how much protein you can eat
in a day? Does he allow cream too? I always wonder about
the cream, it just seems so fattening!!

Gee, we haven't heard from mauvaisroux lately, I hope she
is okay.

Aleka, do you find you feel full in your point range? I have a
copy of the program and you can really eat quite a bit.

Have a great evening Ladies.
Anne.

Old 09-25-2002, 09:00 PM   #70  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Nikk i believe the reasoon for the no caffiene is that the caffiene actually is a diuretic casing your cells to rease water dausing dehydration in the cells. so some thooughts is if you drink coffee you do not count it as an intake
Old 09-25-2002, 09:44 PM   #71  

Hi everyone,
Sue, I thought you'd reply to that question. I was wondering why it is said that it (caffiene) causes an insulin response. If there is a insulin response, then you would figure there would be corresponding weight gain. Why would a diuretic cause an insulin response?
Actually, I've seen some ideas and studies being done lately that say that all fluids should count, including the fluids trapped between vegetable cells. This is a new research study being done.
Well, it really isn't a big concern of mine. I don't drink too much caffiene anymore. Although, tonight I did have caffienated tea at a restaurant. In fact, I went way off the diet. We went up to see my Dr. and after, we always go to a Chinese restaurant that has the best food. I ate jasmine rice, cellophane noodles and lord only knows what was in some of those dishes. It was really good, but it's the first illegal meal I've had in months.
Tomarrow I go for my physical. I'm having blood work and all. Wish I hadn't cheated tonight right before that.
Anne, Atkins limits the amount of carbs. There are 4 different stages. The first is called induction. You can have up to 20 carbs a day and 2-3 tbsp. of cream. Then after 2 weeks, you go on. Or you can stay on the induction for as long as you want. If you want to read up on it, go to www.atikinscenter.com it's all explained pretty well there, you probably don't even really need the book.
Talk to you all tomorrow, Nikki
Old 09-26-2002, 07:15 AM   #72  

Angry Hello everyone!

nikkic, the Chinese food sounds delicious, one of my favorites. Good luck with your physical. Sorry about all the trouble with your garage. Usually from the frost in the winter, our garage floor has a big crack in it, but once the frost leaves it goes back down. That's great you are feeling stronger. It's a wonderful feeling when you know you can keep on going.

ANNE D, it's amazing how energized you feel when you low carb.
Yes, I feel just satisfied on my point range. For lunch I went out with a friend, who is on Atkins, and both of us had a bacon cheeseburger/no bun, and I had a salad with it. That stayed with me all afternoon. Then for dinner I had a bowl of soup, then some sugar free pudding. I was a little hungry when I went to bed, but nothing major. I was able to "bank" 3 pts.

Yesterday a GF & I saw The Banger Sisters. It was a HOOT!!!! We really enjoyed it.

Take care and have a great day. Aleka
Old 09-26-2002, 06:21 PM   #73  

Good evening All:

Well, we made it to Thursday
Glad to hear you had a great time at the Banger Sisters Aleka!
My Who concert is on Saturday and I could just bust with
excitement! I have been listening to all my Who CDs at
my work station. Sometimes I'm tempted to start singing
out loud but I have to remember where I am!! Can you imagine
if she heard me!!

Thanks for the link Nikkic, I was printing all kinds of stuff at
my lunch hour today. It is similar to somersizing in a great many
ways. I like the fact that Dr Atkins is a cardiologist. It makes me
feel more confident about my WOE.

Tonight I had a great shepard's pie with cauliflower substituting
for the mashed potatoes, just loved it.

Talk to you all later!!
Anne.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:57 PM   #74  

Hi everyone,
Mauvaisroux, where are you keeping yourself?

Aleka, I'm glad you let us know about the movie. I thought it would be good, can't wait to see it. I've always loved Goldie and Susan. They make a good pair. We never go to movies. The last time we went, we saw the Titanic. We have a satellite dish and just wait till they come to ppv and rent them then. Not as romantic, but we are home bodies.

Anne, glad you liked the link. I suppose you saw the How to do Atikins and then went to Atkins 101. I like that he's a Dr. and also that he backs up what he says with facts and studies. There was a recent article in the NY Times talking about how it is wrong to do Atkins and to go low fat to lose weight. I read that and was confused. Then I picked up Dr. Atkins book and he answered all of the things the article was talking about. I guess he's been answering the same questions and slams for a long time.

Had blood work done today. She said she'd let me know if there was something wrong. I go back to see her in a month and she says we'll discuss it in detail then. I will be really interested to find out what it says. I go back in a month to have skin tags removed. That is an ugly side to fat that I wasn't aware of when I was thin. Hopefully, I won't have to see them develop again.
Also, she says I've lost 4 lbs. in the last 3 weeks since I saw her last, so that was good. It's always good seeing the scale go down.

I got a new coat today. Ordered it from Blair. I usually wear a 3x, but I ordered a 2x, being optomistic. It is kind of big and I think I'll send it back for a 1x. The shoulders and arms are really big. I haven't had a problem like this for awhile. I can practically wrap it from side to side.

Bye for now, Nikki
Old 09-27-2002, 07:34 AM   #75  

Angry It's Friday!!!

We are getting some rain from Isadore, but not as much as they thought we would.

ANNE D, have a great time at the concert. I love the Who. Glad you made it through Thurs. Now it's Friday and the start of the weekend.

nikkic, DH & I also are homebodies, and also order movies on ppv. If you haven't seen Snow Dogs on ppv I highly recommend it. My DH & I were laughing soooooo hard we actually scared our dog It's been so long since DH & I went to a movie, I have entirely forgotton what we saw. Congratulations on losing those 4 lb. since your last Dr. visit It must've made you feel really good to send the coat back for a smaller size!! WAHOO!!!

We had to buy a new computer, and DH will be setting it up today. This should be fun! Have a great weekend everybody.

mauvaisroux, where are you? I hope everything is ok with you.

Aleka