Old 08-15-2002, 09:16 AM   #1  

Smile Jiff's done!

YOWSER! that was quick!

Just spoke to Jiff. They unblocked her at 7:30 this morning and she is fine. I will pick her up around noon time.

i don't think she will be eating any beef jerky anytime soon!

Thanks for everything, chicks I am sure that she will be checking in later in the day!

peach
Old 08-15-2002, 09:23 AM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Glad to hear all is well. Thanks for the upate. They probobly did her early so they could get her fiesty butt out of there...lol
-L
Old 08-15-2002, 09:45 AM   #3  
GARDENING ADDICT

HIP HIP HOORHAY ! JIFF IS ON HER WAY !!!
Old 08-15-2002, 09:46 AM   #4  
she who must be obeyed

Glad to hear it!! I know Jiff will be glad to escape.

Debbie
Old 08-15-2002, 10:16 AM   #5  
workin' my way back down

YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2002, 11:16 AM   #6  

Whew! Great news!
Old 08-15-2002, 03:20 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

What a nightmare Jiff Hope your feeling better.

Love, Leens
Old 08-15-2002, 07:09 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

Default you guys are THE BEST

but i'm REAL glad i did'nt have to stay there longer... i can just imagine the TROOP 3FC showing up in the hospital!!!!! we'd have to take up a conference room!!!

well, here's the deal.

on tuesday at noon, i ate a small piece of beef jerky [and i've been eating it for a couple of months with NO problems]. but then, stupid me, i FORGOT that i ate it and followed it a few minutes later with WATER, which made it all swell up and STICK!!!

and then i started throwing up.. .nothing would stay down. 20 times by bedtime on tuesday, at least 15 on wednesday. not food, not water, not protein shake, not saliva would stay down!!

i started calling the surgeon at 8 on wednesday. and that's 8 am, not pm. and finally got him around 4. and his response: GO TO THE ER. mine: I'M NOT STAYING.

his: WE'LL SEE [he's very tactful]

so, off i go. and i ended up in the main ER area, and they had to take me by the hand to the triage area, where i was officially admitted. and my nurse was my chiropractor's wife, a lovely lovely lady. and that oh so nice doc had left a bunch of orders for me.

after awhile, it was off to x ray for a barium swallow. the goal: to see if there was ANY drainage from the pouch. and since it's only mid-august, there were whole SQUADS of new interns and residents. the kind who can barely find the bathrooms or the lab.

i had one supervise the barium swallow, but he was a smart kid. and he and the x ray tech and i sat around, with me under the fluoroscope, and him taking occasional pictures, for a WHOLE HOUR, watching this stuff NOT MOVE. AT ALL. and the senior resident wanted me to go just another 15 minutes, and the x ray attending, and my doc's resident.. but it all started coming up.

so, back to the boring boring ER to WAIT for a bed. but in the meantime, virginia, my doc's really excellent senior resident scheduled the endoscopy for 7:30 am, which made me happy.

and a sweet young nurse's aid came in, and when i told her i was bored, she said that she'd send sweet young boys in for me to tease. and she did!!!! and i told her that i'd screen some for her. she liked that, but said that there was no one around there that she wanted.

so, in came the evening nurse, a very energetic young man named sean. very kind. very nice. turns out he's had a major crush on this adorable nurse's aid. and she doesn't share it!

believe me, ladies, i tried. and imagine, in the middle of everything, i'm throwing up. very charming.

so, finally up to my room, and right across the hall are at least 3-4 people who had just had their surgery! i couldn't go visiting beacuse iof the IV [very dehydrated]

early morning visit from a sweet young resident, followed by an ENTIRE TROUP of interns and residents. the ringleader didn't want to examine me. just wanted to know when the surgery had happened [and everyone was surprised that this was a late effect], and to tell me that i was scheduled for 7:30 am. i knew that. but they were cute.

and the whole process took an hour from the time i got into the endoscopy suite, to the anesthesia, to the popping out of the vegetable bezoar [see??? it WASN'T the jerky!!!] and me going back to the room.

and then the waiting began.. for my doc to show up and discharge me! apparently word traveled fast, because a couple of my favorite docs and nurses showed up to say high. one barely recognized me!!

the doc said that this was a first for his group. they'd never seen a veggie bezoar! most people get a meat one!

the anesthesia is still wearing off. had a BIG nap when i got home.

and i'm so grateful for peachie for picking me up because they wouldn't let me drive home.

and at least as grateful for all of you cheering us on!!!

so, today, it's liquids only for me [my esophagus and tiny tummy are kind of irritated], and a bit more rest tomorrow... and i'll be fine.

sorry for the book. oh. and i told at least 5 post-surgery pts about the 3fc site, and the new wls board, so maybe we'll get more members. cindy, carol, janet, the guy down the hall, and one other person...
Old 08-15-2002, 07:20 PM   #9  

Aaah Jiff, I'm soo glad you're home and feeling much better now! Quite an odyseey you've been on! Pinch any cute butts while you were there? Did you try to play matchmaker with Sean and the nurse's aide? Just so glad to have ya back babe!
Old 08-15-2002, 08:05 PM   #10  

Wink

Sounds like General Hospital meets the Hair Ball!!!!

couldn't help it!

I'll stop!

really,

yep!

of COURSE she tried to play match maker!!!!!

peach
Old 08-15-2002, 08:27 PM   #11  
workin' my way back down

Oh Jif..... it's soooooo good to see you back here...... I'm doing happy dancin all over the place! If you had stayed there much longer I would have been forced to go to Veniero's and get some of that LC biscotti to bring to you!!!

Take it EASY!!!

(but, what's a bezoar? - or don't I want to know?)
Old 08-15-2002, 09:14 PM   #12  

Jiffy!!!! Have you been being a bad girl while I've been MIA?????? Glad that everything came out ok, so to speak!

Kel
Old 08-15-2002, 09:54 PM   #13  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Hey Jiff.. just visiting from 100 lb club to read your new BOOK!
I have no idea what a bezoar is either - sounds like something a granola would eat Glad to hear you are doing better..
I figure I will just skip watching er this season come over to this thread

Dana
Old 08-15-2002, 10:18 PM   #14  
Senior Chicky

Talking You Sisters crack me up!!!!!

OK Jif ~ I already replied (sorta) on another thread. I'm still having difficulty bearing my soul - but ya know that I love ya!

Thank you God that our Jif is doing well!

Give heed to the "chick patrol" !!! Ya don't want to mess with them!!!!

Right Chicks?

Glad you are on the mend J!
Old 08-15-2002, 10:53 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

bezoar is basically a compacted wad of SOMETHING. generally something gross. sometimes they really are hairballs. people who bite their nails get them with nail clippings sometimes.

this one was vegetables. see??? i DO eat them.

and please come over and visit more often, dana. these ladies are JUST FABULOUS!!!!! and there are several canadians here as well: liz, ruth, noranoranoranora, pooky, linda [who did i miss????] so you'll be right at home..

dana's doing great, with her weight loss ladies, but she's homesick for canada.