Old 07-19-2002, 06:19 PM   #1  

Default Starting Atkins Induction tomorrow any tips??

Hi! I'm starting the induction part tomorrow with my dh. I've never done the Atkins diet do I need to buy those lipopysis sticks to check my pee? If yes who sells them? Any good food tips to get me through the first phase. And my last question, I promise lol, is has anyone been succesfull on this? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:14 PM   #2  
Hang In There

Default yes!!!

HI Jackson's mom" Yes lot of us have been very successful with low carb eating. I started Atkins Induction on 5/1/02 and followed it really good for the first two week, then I've just developed my own plan of LC and I've been on it since. That's not quite 3 month and I've lost so much weight i can't believe it. It seems like the weight is falling off. Of course I do exercise too. eating alone won't make you loose. I had lost a little weight before I started on induction, but since the first of February I've lost over 30 pounds. And It's been so easy. Lots of luck.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:36 PM   #3  
workin' my way back down

Hi Jacksonsmom --

I started Atkins on 4/15... am still doing induction (with occasional teeny modifications, like maybe 1ce or 2ce per week). I'm not losing as much as fast as ageoldie is, but I'm losing. So far its 18 lbs - but that's ok, I've always been a sorta slow loser. The best thing (according to my doctor) is that my blood sugar and cholesterol numbers have dropped tremendously!

Good luck..... come here often... there are lots of very smart ladies here who always have great advice!
Old 07-19-2002, 11:03 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Hi there! The strips are called Ketosis strips. I bought some at CVS. They were with the diabetic supplies next to the pharmacy. I am sure the pharmacist can help you.

I didn't do induction, but some of the foods I have seen eaten are salads with turkey, roast beef, cheese and salad dressings like blue cheese and ranch. I think those are the lowest carb.

Omelettes, boiled eggs, just about any meat cooked nearly any way except breaded! Roast beef or turkey amd cream cheese 'roll-ups'...and more meat and more salads and more eggs! Chicken salad and tuna salad are good...chicken and cream/cream cheese sauce, fish, nuts, I would check the recipe archives also for good ideas.

Be sure and drink plenty of water and get enough fat! Be leary of msg and read all your labels for hidden starches and sugars. That is all I can think of for the moment!
Old 07-20-2002, 06:12 PM   #5  

Thanks for all of you who replied. So far day one and still doing great. I know one day but I've NEVER stuck to any diet plan before so I'm happy that I've not giving up. I will go and get those ketosis strips thanks for letting me know where they are. I'll keep posting my progress with the induction. TTYL
Old 07-20-2002, 07:12 PM   #6  

Default Been on Induction 1 week

Hi jacksonmom!

I started Atkins induction last Sunday.. and it has been a weird ride. See the thing for me was that I drank Coke (not diet coke) and I gave it up cold turkey. That was way harder than I thought. I have had a constant headache for the whole week.. and I also got a bit sick and it was hard to concentrate. I think that my body did not react to well to the huge drop in carbs. I did lose 5 pounds the first week (could be more.. we will see tomorrow.. and its all that TOM.. so thats an impact). It is a very drastic change.. so expect your body to sorta go crazy.

I'm probably going to resort to my own LC plan.. cause 20 carbs is not much at all and I think my body needs some a bit more to function well.

Keep us updated

-Tanya
Old 07-22-2002, 10:40 PM   #7  

My third day and it's getting better. At least now I'm not dreaming of carbs (chips, french fries, etc) I did have a headache for 2 days but that seems to have gone away. I'm going to try and not weigh myself till the two weeks are up. I also started a walking challenge under the exercise thread if anyone is interested in joining.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:51 PM   #8  
GO CANES!

So I think I'm going to try Atkins again.....I kind of dabble in it and never really stick to it.....can someone kick my butt??
Old 07-23-2002, 12:55 PM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

KICK KICK KICK

does that help?? I am following you around this board kicking you in to trying we are here to help.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking What gets me on my soapbox!

Many, many people have said they love low carb but can't do Atkins as it's too restrictive. I wonder what they mean?

I can't be told to only eat 3 meals a day, or so many ounces of this and that, or only this in combo with that. That's restrictive to me.

Atkins is a diet you make your own. You eat tons of things that are allowed, eat anytime you want, as much as you want, and the weight starts falling off. When you finish your 2 week induction you add in things slowly, so you can have your fruit or your bread if it fits in the carb count you are eating that week.

I am a staunch Atkins supporter, I just love his program! Good luck to everyone!
Old 07-23-2002, 06:37 PM   #11  
workin' my way back down

Yay Sherrie...... you said it so well! I have freedom to eat as much as I need to eat to feel satisfied.... and only rarely miss breads and fruits (still not eating any fruit... trying to stay pretty much within induction still @ 20 carbs- but that is my choice, not the plan's "rule'. I'm with you, I don't feel restricted at all.......
Old 07-24-2002, 12:13 PM   #12  
GO CANES!

alright ladies. I'm going to probobly try atkins again....need to buy the proper stuff, etc. still have to think about it...i just am scared to mess it up
Old 07-24-2002, 01:18 PM   #13  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Just do it!! if you mess up we are here to help!
Old 07-24-2002, 04:06 PM   #14  

Today this diet sucks! I got some of those ketostix and so far I'm not in ketosis. Did anyone else do the sticks and how long did it take for you to get in ketosis. Today is only my 5th day but I'm getting very tired of meat, chicken, cheese, and eggs. I told myself I would do it for 2 weeks and I will. Hopefully it will get better. I feel so tired that I haven't done any exercise this week. Well I needed to vent. TTYL
Old 07-24-2002, 05:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

If you change the stix even to a mauve color you are in ketosis. You should check the box, they could be expired (some that I bought were) and they don't last very long. Plus, I never use the dumb things anymore. I just go by the losses. As you haven't done with your first week yet, you just have to have faith for about 3 more days, then you will begin to feel fabulous! Honest