low carb soups?

• hello!

I sometimes get so caught up with working during the day that I barely get a chance to eat lunch.

I am tired of tuna or turkey on lettuce.

Is there such a thing as a canned soup that is also low carb?

I'm wondering whether any of the veggie soups would qualify?

ideas??

Thanks!!!

barefootgrrrl
  • Hi and welcome to 3fc's, I see you are a new poster.

In the recipe section there is a cheeseburger soup recipe, I think it is under misc. It is a very good soup, you could make it ahead and take it to work with you.

I don't know about the canned soups, I would check the labels and if they were fairly low in carb you could give them a try.

And by the way, where are you in Northern Virginia? I was born and raised in Manassas, my hubby is from Falls Church.

Debbie
  • Hi barefoot girl! So nice to have you join us!

I've heard so many rave reviews of Debs cheeseburger soup! I'd definately recommend it!

I have checked out those soup labels and tho I've found some lower in carbs than others, I would suggest keeping the sodium in mind. Sausage fingers sure doesn't feel too well! lol

Are you specifically looking for soups or a variation for lunch ideas? Because I'm sure you'll be receiving lots of suggestions for both!

Nice to meet you! And looking forward to getting to know you!
  • Thanks for the warm welcome
    Appreciate it!

I am originally from upstate NY, but then lived in NYC and now Fairfax Va. for the past several years.

I have to tell you that starting this plan is quite a trip for me. For years, I ate rice and potatoes and Snackwells and pretzels because I was afraid of eating fat and not too crazy about meat.

The idea of having toasted almonds for a snack and putting real oil on my salads - is taking some getting used to!

Speaking of meat, I prefer seafood and poultry - but wonder if any here use tofu as a protein source? The only way I've ever prepared it is in stir fry with veggies

There is a nagging little voice in my head that keeps saying: " how can you eat shrimp in garlic butter sauce and steak and still lose weight?"

I am encouraged to read the success stories here - knowing that this can work.

Thanks again - fondly, barefootgrrrl - aka Terri
  • Terri~
    It truly is so nice to meet you!

Hon, you are going thru what so many of us have! OMG! LF or LC? lol Please just journal and monitor your results! The results will speak for themselves!

Terri, I was an LC success story for many years. Unfortunately as much as I know this woe works-i seem to be faltering more than I am adhering to what i know works.

Have you checked out the LC recipe section? There are so many wonderful LC recipes that have been offered over the years.

My DD is a vegetarian-if you do not find many tofu recipes-let's start a thread and see what these great chicks come up with! Or, I'll ask my DD.

Best of luck

J
  • Very easy to make a low carb soup and freeze it--use chicken stock and add low carb veggies to it! Can do the same with beef, or even make a nice mushroom!
  • Oodles of Noodles
    AND ... you can make noodles! I use a whole egg beaten with a bit of water (1 tsp per egg) and sometimes a bit of soy flour (1 tsp again). I make a sort of pancake in a teflon pan with a spray of oil, cook it on both sides, roll and slice into "noodles". Thinly sliced cabbage (maybe simmered in milk) is another option as is spaghetti squash.

As far as canned soups are concerned, they are loaded with carbs and salt so you need to start making your own from scratch and freezing meal-size portions for lunches.

And WELCOME!!!!

If you need recipes for homemade soup stock, just holler and they will be there!
  • I bumped my SPICY BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP recipe over in the "Entree" section of our recipe board. It's very good and low carb.