Old 06-25-2002, 09:01 AM   #1  

Thumbs down Starting Induction - wish me luck!

I started the Atkins Induction on Sunday. It's gone pretty well so far, I haven't even had any of the headaches and such that often spring up these first few days - hoping for that energy rush that so many experience, I didn't get it the last time I did this. If this goes as it did last time I did it, about 3 years ago, I expect I'll lose, oh, 8-12 pounds by the end of the period. Yesterday I made a bunch of little crustless quiches to help me through my breakfast times!

Because the rest of the family is not doing this with me and I'm the chef, it's likely I may switch to CAD after going through the Induction. They key to me is getting a jump start, getting the cravings out of my system.

I've got an "introductory" pack of Atkins vitamins to take during the Induction, thought I'd see how they work ... I'm afraid keeping them up afterwards would be too expensive, though. Has anyone out there had any experience using the Atkins supplements?

Wish me luck!
Pen
Old 06-25-2002, 09:50 AM   #2  
workin' my way back down

Well, I tried taking the supplements -- note the operative word here is TRIED! I found 3 problems (all, I am sure, all mine!) 1) they are so large I gagged on them! 2) I have a really really sensitive nose to aromas - 'nuff said! and 3) I kept forgetting which one to take 2ce, which one to take 3x etc etc etc..... it was all too complicated for me! I'm so ticked off that I "wasted" so much $$ on them!

I switched to "regular" daily multiple vitamin and fibrecon -- both seem to be working for me (only take once per day! ). I am still doing induction, it's been 10 weeks (I'm a slow loser with about 50 more to go) - and haven't had too many cravings - no headaches that I recall, either.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2002, 10:29 AM   #3  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Good luck Mz. Pen.....it's an interesting journey
Old 06-25-2002, 11:30 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!

Love Leens
Old 06-25-2002, 12:54 PM   #5  
Hang In There

Default I'm in there with you...

It's back to induction for me after my four day "vacation" I put back on about 6 pounds. I tried to start yesterday, but fell off the wagon by lunch time. Today I'm prepared. Brought tuna with me for lunch. I will be better now. It seems when I start something like this, I do great until something comes up that knocks me off plan (like before mentioned mini "vacation") then never seem to get back on program, but this is too importiant this time, and it was so easy at first, that I'm determined to get back into ketotis this week.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Good luck from my end too!!! I have not tried their package, but i do take an asundry of vits that should choke a horse!!!
Old 06-26-2002, 08:31 AM   #7  

Thank you all for your encouragement! This is Day #4 and I've done well so far. The hardest time for me is after supper. Perhaps I should consider going to bed earlier! I seem to have lost about 5 lbs., though I don't put much stock in the daily numbers in and of themselves.

Samsgrandma, I know just what you mean about gagging on the horse pills! I would rather take 4-5 small pills than gag down one of these huge things. It hasn't been so bad, though, compared to when I was pregnant and taking huge pre-natal vitamins, as I went through a lot of nausea those days ... I ended up switching to a prescription chewable. Unless I discover some magic benefit, I will switch to a smaller OTC multi when I get through these bottles.

BargG, I know just what you mean about how important it is "this time." I had been planning to do this since I stopped breastfeeding my now 1-year-old, and there was always some reason to postpone it. As all of us do, I have many, many reasons that I need to take off this weight ... setting a good example for my daughters, stopping the stress pain on my joints, eliminating those boxes of different size clothes in my garage, liking what I see when I look in the mirror, being able to sit comfortably in a normal chair with arms, having energy to do everything I have to do every day, not feeling embarrassed when I go out.

I think probably the one event that really pushed me this time: our 5-year-old's Kingergarten class put on a play, and my husband and I attended, along with what seemed to be all the other parents. Toward the end, my husband had the audacity (!) to point out to me that we were the "fat family" in the room ... and boy, was he right! The only other fat person there was someone's grandmother. Every single other parent, and the teachers, were normal to skinny. And what's even more horrible is that our 5-year-old was obviously chubby alongside all the other children, most of whom were very, very lean. Before this happened, I didn't think a whole lot about giving her a little "treat" now and then, because she doesn't seem to eat much at all, but now I've stopped buying ice cream and other sweets, opting instead for frozen yogurt and fruits. She's not happy about the fact that I refuse to buy her sodas, but I'm sticking to my guns, trying to teach her that sodas and sugary snacks are not good. Yes, I've turned out a little carbohydrate addict!

Didn't mean to go off on a rant there! Good luck, Barbg - let's BOTH stick this out!!! I KNOW what works for me, and I need to JUST DO IT!

Pen
Old 06-28-2002, 06:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 275/222/154

Height: 5'7"

Good for you, MizPen!! I read somewhere that being overweight and not doing anything about it is like being in a moving car with no driver. I really have to get my hand on that steeering wheel.

I know what you mean about the little ones.. I was feeding my one year old granddaughter her dinner yesterday while the teletubbies were on tv. Perfect, eh? Mindless eating in front of the tv. I'll never do that again. *ugh*
Old 07-02-2002, 07:30 AM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Just cheking on you. how is it going? are you still with us?? many times it is after the first few days that people fall. but if you ca hang in the for a week then you should do great.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:10 PM   #10  

Hey, I can hardly believe it - I'm into the second week and still on Induction! I'm not having any problems with craving, though as before it is very difficult for me to fix potatoes and such for my family and not have any of it. I don't think I'm eating enough, but I'm trying to keep hydrated and make sure I get some salad in, which is often a problem because I hate making salads!

I've also started going to the gym more faithfully. I feel SO great after taking a class! I keep fantasizing that I'll keep this up and get a firm, fit body ... but I've been through this so many times before that it's hard to have faith, and that goal seems so far away.

I lost about 5 1/2 pounds in my first week ... Once my numbers start getting into the 220s, which hopefully will be before next week, I'll be ecstatic!

Thanks for thinking of me!
Pen